“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Jolla Shores Hotel

You added La Jolla Shores Hotel to your Saves list
La Jolla Shores Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8110 Camino del Oro, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037 (Formerly Sea Lodge Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tennessee
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

Hotel was great. Try to stay in an ocean view room. The ones in the back, with entrances facing the street, are too loud. Too much street noise.

Restaurant has killer view. Courtyard area has a ping pong table (!)

Every room gets a San Diego Union-Tribune, nice to get the local paper instead of USA Today.

Attached photo shows the view from a third floor room.

------------------
[--]

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room upgrade was pretty costly. Late checkout (6 p.m.) cost a half-day's room rate, although it's only a quarter-day!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

We stayed at La Jolla Shores October 07 and really enjoyed our visit. The room was wonderful. Although at first I was a little apprehensive about the location being next to the street and the park. We woke up on a saturday to a park filled with scuba divers and really were not aware of the activity. The room was more quiet than we thought it would be, thank goodness.
We stayed in La Jolla instead of in Center San Diego even though this was our first trip to San Diego & we were not disappointed. We toured all of San Diego & it was a nice escape to come back to La Jolla, we are beachbums at heart.
The staff was friendly, the room was clean & comfortable & we took advantage of the lovely pool & hot tub area.And you can't beat the sunsets ont he beach.
Our only issue was that every day our key did not open the door so we had to go back to the front desk & find out what the problem was.

• Liked — Location, Great room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Westfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

We picked this hotel because we couldn't get a room at the adjacent La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and wanted to be close to family who were staying there. After reading some of the reviews, I wasn't expecting much, but it worked out great for us.

I'm generally all about the views, but with a newborn and two other small children, convenience is everything. I opted for a room on the first floor right off the pool, which was great! Instead of a balcony, our room had a semi-private patio area that was steps away from the pool (I think only rooms 117-122 offer this convenience). I could still catch a glimpse of the ocean AND watch my husband and kids in the pool AND be a few feet from my napping newborn while I sat and read in a lounge chair on the patio. It was just a minute more to get to the beach, so we never missed a sunset.

The rooms are just ok, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. Their free DVD rentals (our room had a DVD player) came in handy when the kids needed a little down time, too.

The view from the restaurant is great, but the food I had was just ok and it's expensive, so go for a drink during sunset instead. There's a little row of surf shops and a couple of restaurants, pizza, coffee shops about 2 blocks away. Downtown La Jolla is just a few minutes away and really enjoyable.

Stayed August 2007
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel many, many times -- beginning in about 1990. This is the first time that I have stayed there within the past five years, however.

First, the positives. The hotel is wonderfully situated right on La Jolla Shores Beach. You can't beat that! It has a very nice pool, and the staff is friendly and accommodating.

Now, the negatives. First, the decor. As I mentioned above, I've been staying at this hotel since about 1990 (that's 17 years ago). The decor this trip is almost exactly the same now as it was then. I was really quite surprised at this, having not stayed there within the past five years. It seems to me like hotels should update themselves periodically, and this hotel has missed the boat. The decor does not feel first-class and certainly not worth this high price they are charging for it! Second, the internet connection. It is great that they provide the internet connection for free (hooray -- but not so unexpected given the high room rate), but for some mysterious reason they locate the hook-up (it is wired, not wireless) next to the bed. That would be across the room from the desk. That seems a little off to me.

Overall, I guess my biggest disappointment with this hotel is that I felt that I should have gotten more for the money they charge. They are not cheap, yet they give old, tired decor and inconvenient internet.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — tired, blah decor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

My family (me, wife, 2 kids, ages 5, 7) stayed here over Labor Day 2007 for a short 3-night vacation. The hotel is a bit pricey for the level of accommodations you get, but the location makes it worth every penny.

First, the room. As discussed in previous posts, the hotel is a tad dated, having been built in the early 70s. However, the management has done a good job keeping it up over the years, and it is well maintained. The paint, carpet, furniture, and fixtures were pretty modern, and the room was clean. The decor in the room is not as nice as, say, a modern Embassy Suites or Hilton, but it wasn't bad. About the only problem we encountered was some ants on the bathroom counter. For the amount we paid for the room, $379, I would have expected a little nicer furnishings and finish-out.

For the hotel itself--we requested, and were given, a "north view" room on the third floor as close to the beach as possible. We didn't request the true ocean front rooms, but what we got was just as good. We ended up in the room about 3 rooms from the end of the third floor, which gives you a beautiful view of Kellog Park and La Jolla Shores beach. This was Labor Day, and it was a little noisy, but I enjoyed the people watching. It would have been too loud to keep the door open (it was really hot this weekend, so we kept the door closed). The pool and amenities are in good shape, and the staff was polite and attentive.

One little complaint I have is that they were supposed to have free Starbucks coffee in the lobby in the mornings. By the time I got there on the first two mornings, they were out, and on the third morning the coffee was lukewarm. A hotel of this price should be on top of the lobby coffee situation.

For the setting--the hotel is located directly on the La Jolla Shores beach and is in a really beautiful setting. To the north is Scrips Pier and the cliffs of Blacks Beach, and to the south are the cliffs of La Jolla village. La Jolla shores can get crowded on weekends, but the crowds tend to taper off in front of the hotel. The hotel does provide umbrellas and beach chairs at no charge. Next door to the hotel is a beautiful beach-front park, and it can get crowded on weekends. However, smoking, drinking, and dogs are all outlawed on the beach, so it is great for families. Around the hotel are a number of shops and restaurants, all within walking distance. You can rent surfboards or sign up for kayak tours at a store only a block away from the hotel.

On our way from the airport, we drove through Mission Beach and were really glad we didn't decide to stay there. That place was overrun with partying 20-somethings and was absolutely geared for that age-group. La Jolla, on the other hand, was great for kids, especially since drinking or smoking are banned on the beach.

I highly recommend Osteria Romantica, an italian restaurant one block from the hotel on Avendida de la Playa. It is the real deal--the owner and most of the waitstaff are Italian and the food is excellent.

• Liked — location on La Jolla shores beach
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

just got back from san diego and stayed in the best location....
if you want an ocean beach front property this is the one in la jolla.
very nice hotel with a great pool specially for the kids. great restaurant nearby walking distance. location to other parts in san diego about 10-20 min .car ride if not at rush hour.
we paid 400$ per night for the ocean front room. the room itself is dated carpet is dumped pretty run down... some other rooms in the back of the property are renovated. we still preffered the ocean front with the steep price... i think it is time for the hotel upgrade those room and renovate them.
overall experience was great , i liked the small gym, stuff were nice and helpfull and i will be going back there in the future and specially for the great location.

• Liked — location ocean front
  • Disliked — room condition for the price i paid
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel 5 years ago and loved it. So, this year when we decided to return to La Jolla, it was a logical choice. And we were not disappointed. The location is wonderful - RIGHT on the beach and within walking distance (a couple of miles) to the village of La Jolla. The restaurant is a little pricey, but the food and view are fabulous. Plus there are at least 6 restaurants right down the street. Both times we stayed here we had an ocean front room and were quite pleased. The room was clean and spacious. Not the fanciest decorations, but who cares!?! We weren't there to enjoy the decor of the room. We were there for the beach! Plus, the room had a mini-fridge which made it easier to stay in our food budget. We had no complaints about housekeeping or any of the staff. They were friendly and thorough, as far as we could see. Things to consider: Parking in the underground garage was quite convenient . Just remember to budget $12 a day for it or plan on making other arrangements. Our room was near the LJB&T next door. Evidently, the area between the two is where the trash dumpsters are located. As we slept with our balcony door open (to hear the ocean), we were awakened each morning about 6:30AM by the sound of the garbage truck. In my opinion, they were fast and I went right back to sleep. But, it might bug some people.
Overall, a great hotel! We will be back!

• Liked — Location right on the beach
  • Disliked — Paying $12/day for parkint
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Jolla Shores Hotel? Share your experiences!