“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in La Jolla
Fonthill, Canada
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We loved this hotel! We have stayed at La Valencia in the past and really enjoyed it, but the experience at this hotel was so wonderful and this will be our new La Jolla hotel! The staff were all so friendly and helpful and went above and beyond to assist with any requests. The hotel was beautiful, location was perfect. Room was spotless and quiet. The onsite restaurant (Nine-Ten) was an amazing experience and was one of the highlights of our trip! Love it, can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear SBou1 - Needless to say, I am delighted to hear that you have found your new home-away-from-home here at the Grande Colonial. We always enjoy hearing from those first-time guests who have stayed in the area before and fall in love with our property. It sounds as if you had the kind of experience we hope for all of our guests. I'm also happy to hear that you had the chance to dine at NINE-TEN. It's truly one of the best in town. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights and used it as a base to travel down to San Diego. A lovely hotel. Reception staff and car valet staff very efficient. The only thing preventing this from getting 5 stars across the board are the towels in the bathroom. They were tired to say the least. At this price would have expected something a little softer!

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for a one with an ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear PGG6450 - Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback about your recent visit. While I'm thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel, I do apologize that the towels did not leave you with as positive an impression. At the very least, our guests deserve to have a nice, plush bath towel. Please know that I will be taking a look at their quality immediately. Meanwhile, I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I also thank you for the four stars and look forward to giving you that 5-star experience the next time you visit the States. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
milton, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Good: Room# 318,opens windows two with amazing ocean views. Clean, stylish, close to fine restaurants (Eddy V's is a must!); Shopping is wonderful with amazing antique shops walking distance on Gerard St.; La Jolla Cove with seal sanctuary again... amazing! This was a memorable hotel and area! Enjoy!!

The Bad: The rug felt a bit damp... to be expected as hotel is Ocean front.

Room Tip: room 318 has two queens, walk in closet, open windows w/ amazing ocean views, overlooks cafe and poo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear karendew - on behalf of our entire staff, thank you for the kind remarks you provided about your recent visit. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel, our location and our staff. I hear from our guests almost daily about how much they love being able to open the windows in our guest rooms to let in the ocean breezes and sounds of the Pacific. It's a very unique amenity and one I know everyone loves. Glad you enjoyed that too. (Sorry about that damp rug. Even with our proximity to the ocean, you should never have a damp rug. Sorry!) We hope to see you back again in the near future. Best, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Staff are hit and miss with their attitude and service. Some staff are great, some terrible. WiFi was unreliable (although it's free). Some good views of the ocean from parts of the hotel. Rooms are small but comfortable. I would not return to this hotel and would suggest looking at other hotels in La Jolla.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear LukeAdelaide - I am sorry to hear that your recent visit did not provide you with as memorable an experience as we hope for each of our guests. Being a historic hotel (celebrated 100 years in 2013), some of our rooms can be a little smaller than what you might expect in a newer property. But we hope that our historic charm makes up for that. I am also surprised and sorry to hear that you did not receive the level of service that we are so well known for. We take great pride in providing warm, gracious and genuinely friendly serivice in all areas. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in greater detail about more specifies. If you would like, please contact me at (858) 729-5380. Meanwhile, I do thank you for your business and hope you will give us another try in the future. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Queen Creek, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

First of all, my husband was very leery of staying here due to the age of the hotel but I thought it would be fun to stay in a historic hotel....

Our son left his iPad in the room and we did not realize it until we were traveling back to Arizona on Sunday after checking out. At first it couldn't be located but Stephanie alerted housekeeping to look the next day and it was found!! It was quickly sent back to us and it's nice to have a happy ending to that story. Thank you staff for being honest and very helpful!

Our room was a double queen located on the 3rd floor directly across from the elevator and it faced the somewhat busy street. We were not bothered by any outside noise. The room was very quiet and comfortable. The beds and pillows were so cozy that my husband actually made note of the brands so we can get them for our home. The room darkening curtains worked wonderfully and we got some much needed rest! Yes the rooms are "older" but I enjoyed the history of the hotel. There was a closet for storage.
The food choices were outstanding. We ordered room service and enjoyed the nine-ten burger, chicken strips and a grilled cheese. We also had breakfast there and it was great. We walked about a block to eat at Bubbas BBQ on Friday and enjoyed "the spot" on Saturday. Yum yum yum. You can't go wrong with any of those choices.
We strolled down to see the seals and cliffy beaches. Our kids loved it! The pool was perfect. It was not crowded and I felt very comfortable letting my kids play in the 3.5 foot deep circular pool. It was very relaxing.
La Jolla shores was a short drive and we enjoyed that as well even with the crowd of people at the beach.

We will definitely stay here again. It was such a relaxing trip and I can't thank the staff enough for the kindness during our stay and getting our iPad back to us. Thank you!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Melissa - Your review is exactly the kind of review I love to read. I thank you for giving us a chance and am happy you were able to convince your husband to do the same. Yes, we are a historic hotel. Just celebrated 100 years in 2013. But even being "old", we are constantly making improvements to our facilities and amenities, while still maintaining our historic charm. I'm pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our dining options and location, which certainly can't be beat! But most of all, I couldn’t be more pleased with the service you received from our staff in retrieving your lost item and having it returned to you promptly. We take great pride in our service delivery and clearly that came through for you. We hope to see you back from Arizona again soon. You always have a place to stay here in La Jolla. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Checked in around 9 pm. Because we needed 2 rooms close together there weren't many choices. We got one room with 2 queens and the other room was for our other family member. We first walked through a basement like hallway to get to our room. Once in the room you can feel the humidity, like you are in a wet basement. Then noticed one bed was perfectly made and the other didn't have the decorative pillows, then I see water on the nightstand. I immediately spoke to the front desk and they told me they only turn down one bed. I showed them photos of the room and the wet spot on the night stand. They got the manager to come and check the room and apologized for the substandard condition of the room. They didn't offer to change rooms for me, but she did offer to have the maintenance to come and wipe down the room b/c house keeping is not available at night. I know this is an older hotel but I was expecting it to be clean with lots of charm. I got room 124 and it feels damp and basement like. Maybe the upper levels may be nicer. Just very disappointed, I don't think I will come to this place again.

Room Tip: Do not get the rooms near 120
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you had anticipated. We strive for excellence at every opportunity and clearly that did not come through for you. As our front desk manager mentioned while you were here, we would have moved you to another room had we not been completely full. I wish we could have accommodated you in a different room. We are also very sorry that the turn-down service was not completed according to our standards. If you would like to discuss anything in greater detail that perhaps we did not have an opportunity to discuss while you were here, please do let me know. I can be reached directly at (858) 729-5380. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The room was small and quaint each window we had a view of the ocean even from the shower.
Not much space to place luggage. No fridge in room. The building itself was quaint the staff were outstanding even when you didn't ask for anything. Free coffee inside the bar area every morning was a bonus. Great breakfasts-they need to spruce up their bar menu not enough selection for nibblies.

Location outstanding park your car restaurants close proximity to everything. Around the corner near the water (can't remember the name) they serve only breakfast and lunch amazing breakfasts.

Room Tip: Because La Jolla is quaint I believe all rooms would be great. We had a king on 4th floor that each...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you, NotaholidayToronto, for the feedback you provided about your recent visit from Canada. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, our location and, most importantly, our staff. I also appreciate your comments about how to improve some of our amenities and services. I hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again in the future. Thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#3 of 273 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 stars 1,545 reviews

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!