“My favorite La Jolla hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE VALET PARKING!
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
“My favorite La Jolla hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I travel to LJ 4-5 times per year and I always stay at the the Grande Colonial. It's a very charming and old fashioned hotel, but this is not to mean that it is in any way uncomfortable or lacking in amenities. It is charming in the best sense of the word. Warmth, not sterility as many hotels are.

The staff is great, everyone is very helpful and friendly in the best way. The pool is great and the restaurant is world class. Why stay anywhere else? It's like going home.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Jack: What more can I say than "thank you"?! On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for all the great comments. I really appreciate your appreciation for our historic charm. We're certainly not the cookie-cutter-type hotel. Every room is a little different than the next but each has its own unique appeal. I also appreciate your comments about our staff. We take great pride in providing service that is warm, gracious and genuinely friendly. I’m glad to hear that came through during your visit. Hope to see you back. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights visiting family, and it was the perfect place to stay in LaJolla. We loved the charm of an "older" hotel, the huge windows in the room that stayed open the entire time, the very comfortable bed, lots of little "extras," like free internet, free bottled water, an exceptionally friendly staff (especially the valet staff!). I gave the cleanliness 4 stars only because we had to wait until almost 5:00 pm one day to get our room cleaned. But, in their defense, I know they would have cleaned earlier had I requested it.

We only had dessert at the restaurant (outstanding!), but heard from locals that it has a reputation for excellent food. Sorry we missed that, but will definitely eat there next time we are in town.
Awesome hotel!

Room Tip: Although we did not get one, ask for a corner room with windows on 2 sides!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear kmr60 - Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our accommodations, complimentary amenities and, most importantly, the level of service. I'll be sure to share your comments with our valet staff. We truly have some of the best in the business. I'm sorry about to hear that your room was not serviced earlier. That should not have been the case and we will do better the next time. We look forward to that and hope it's sooner than later. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Everything about this historic hotel is Grande. The location can't be beat. The views from the ocean view room is spectacular. We loved the feel of the hotel and how it is full of charm. The rooms are absolutely huge and maintained beautifully. We could see the childrens pool of seals right from our room. There are restaurants and shopping right from the front door. We walked all over La Jolla. The service is excellent and the valet men were so helpful and made us feel very welcome. They had excellent ideas and choices in food. The entire experience was first rate. Well worth the money to enjoy the location and facilities.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear vpb316: I couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to La Jolla and your stay at the Grande Colonial...particularly your experiences with our staff. I'm a little biased but we have some of the finest people working for us, starting at the front door. I'm so glad to hear that our commitment to providing first-class service came through during your stay. I hope to see you back from Florida soon. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed here for two nights during a San Diego trip. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the accommodations were wonderful. The mattress was so nice I wanted to stay in bed all day! La Jolla is so fun to walk around, and is just a quick drive from the rest of the city.

Stayed June 2014
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear meloke22: I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the Grande Colonial and the Village of La Jolla. We take great pride in the level of service we provide and I'm happy that came through during your stay. Hope to see you back soon. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We spent several nights at the hotel while in the area for our daughter's graduation. The rooms were beautifully appointed, the service was first rate, and the location ideal. But the real gem here is the restaurant. I know it's easy to overlook the restaurant at the hotel where you're staying (after all, it is hotel food, right)? Don't make that mistake. We had one of the more memorable meals in a lifetime of traveling. We had several great dining experiences in the area, but the chef here really is something special. If you find yourself in La Jolla, even if you're staying elsewhere, do yourself a favor and have at least one dinner here!

Room Tip: The courtyard suites are quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tom: Let me first congratulate you on your daughter's graduation. Quite an accomplishment. Congrats! And thank you for choosing to stay at the Grande Colonial during your visit. I'm thrilled to hear that you had the opportunity to dine at NINE-TEN Restaurant. It's definitely not your "typical hotel restaurant". In fact, our Chef Jason Knibb was just awarded last week San Diego's 2014 "Chef of the Year" by the California Restaurant Association. We couldn't be more proud to have him at the helm of the kitchen. I hope you will have the opportunity to come back and visit again soon. Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at The Grande Colonial. Our room was lovely. We had both a garden/pool view and a wonderful view of the ocean. We had a large comfortable chair in our room next to the windows. Every morning I would sit in that chair with the windows open, reading and listening to the ocean. Those mornings were the most relaxed I have been in many years. I truly appreciated the tranquility. Housekeeping was very thorough and helpful. My daughter lost her glasses while we were there and they pulled out the mattress to find them for her.

Kelly at the Front Desk was especially helpful. The valet service was excellent. Matt and Benny were quick, friendly and helpful. The restaurant was wonderful as well. I would highly recommend breakfast. While we were there the seasonal special was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. They were delightful. I would also recommend the short rib hash for breakfast. I had it twice! It was delicious. Room service was quick and efficient.

The location is good. Short walking distance to beaches,other restaurants, galleries and shops. I-5 is easily accessed. We found The Grande Colonial to be a great "home base" for the many different locations we wanted to visit.

Bottom line. If you are in the area- stay at the The Grande Colonial. It may be a little more than I would like to pay for a hotel but you won't regret it.

Room Tip: We had the Ocean View Junior Suite King. It was lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear KMS07: It sounds as if you and your daughter had a very nice and memorable trip to La Jolla. I thank you for choosing the Grande Colonial as your home base. I appreciate your very comprehensive review covering everything from our helpful staff, efficient housekeeping and delicious food (those lemon ricotta pancakes are one of my favorite dishes). I’m also glad you pointed out the screen less windows that open in each room allowing you to enjoy the fresh ocean breezes. It’s not something you can experience in most hotels. Thanks again and hope to see you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

After an arduous work week, our family decided it was time to go on a weekend getaway. This last minute get away and this hotel was a shot in the dark. We hadn't traveled with our 5 month old yet. The Little Hotel by the Sea could not have worked out better . The room included a fridge and stove such (a plus since we weren't sure how we were going to feed the smallest of our family.) The 12 year old was a happy camper to know that boogie boards were available to borrow and the beach was a walk away! Fantastic service, courteous and knowledgeable staff. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Blanca1900: As the father of three (now grown) boys, I remember what it's like to travel with small children -- most times being last minute getaways thrown together in a rush. Happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you and your family for your last minute trip. You couldn't have picked a better room. The suites in our Little Hotel by the Sea wing are ideal for families given they do have full kitchens. And being only a block from the seals at the Children's Pool and the beach, it's the ideal location for the kids! I see you are just "up the street" in Los Angeles. Given your proximity, I hope you'll have the chance to plan more spontaneous trips with the family. What a better place to create traditions than at the Grande Colonial. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Been to The Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!