“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
West Hollywood, California
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Have stayed here a number of times and never been disappointed. But try to get a room on the adjacent grounds as opposed to the hotel itself. While "apart" from the hotel proper, the rooms are great and more secluded. And this hotel is SO convenient to ALL of the shops and restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Dan -
It's always nice to hear from our repeat guests. I thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I'm also delighted to read your comments about the suites in the two adjacent wings. Like our rooms in the main building, these suites share a timeless elegance and sophistication...not to mention fireplaces and full kitchens. And for those guests planning extended stays, the suites provide an extra measure of space and privacy. Glad you enjoyed them. Look forward to seeing you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Enjoyed a recent three night visit to La Jolla and the Grande Colonial was a big reason we had a great time. The hotel is beautiful and the 910 bar and restaurant make for a great breakfast and late night (for La Jolla) spot on site. Great location for walking the area. Quiet room and well supplied - we enjoyed a room with kitchenette which made for additional comforts. The best attribute has to be the staff. To a person, they are friendly, attentive and knowledgeable of the area. In particular, Kimmie, Lynelle and Kelly at the front desk deserve special recognition. Unparalleled customer service is clearly their goal and they hit all their marks. Very enjoyable and comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: Kitchenette rooms away from main building are quiet and cozy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JPHokie_79:
Thank you very much for you kind remarks about the hotel. I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your visit, particularly your recognition of our front desk staff. I will be sure to share your nice comments with the individuals you've mentioned. We look forward to having you back on a future visit to La Jolla. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Food, facility and service for the meeting were top notch. Excellent service from everyone throughout the stay! Room was pleasantly big and comfortable. Beautiful architectural details you would expect from a century-old building without crimping on cleanliness or comfort.

Room Tip: Rm 305 is a corner suite. Very large and comfortable for family or entertaining. Windows on two si...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear track77: Thanks for the review you posted on Trip Advisor about your recent stay (and meeting). Overall, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am also happy to read you comment about the windows and fresh ocean breezes. We are one of the few hotels I know of where you can actually open the window and get that fresh, ocean air. So many of our guests appreciate that. Thanks again for your comments. We look forward to having you back for business or for pleasure. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We liked the atmosphere and service in general.

What made very special was the fact that one of the couples we met there (from San Francisco) were a friendly couple into "the lifestyle" and we had a super fun night the 4 of us.

Good times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Falko D:
Really happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and that you even made some new friends while visiting La Jolla. Perhaps you will all come back next year and meet up for a reunion. Our doors remain open to you! Hope to see you back from Buenos Aires soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

First, I can't say enough about the professional, helpful and friendly staff at The Grande Colonial. I recently planned an event there for my husband's 60th birthday party, and I couldn't be happier with all aspects of the experience.

1) Hotel Accommodations: We had friends and family who came in from out of town, many of whom stayed at the G.C., and we heard nothing but favorable reviews...everything from "nicely decorated rooms" and "nice views" to "a good value."

2) The Event Venue: We had a cocktail reception style party for 32 people in the "La Jolla Room," which is a lovely, intimate venue. During the set-up time, I had a few special requests, and the staff all worked to make the room exactly how I wanted it, and they did it cheerfully.

3) The Event Food: Our party was catered by the restaurant in the hotel called Nine-Ten. We have been to Nine-Ten many other times for dinners or happy hours, and we've always loved the food, so it was no surprise that the food at the event was exceptional. I decided to have the cake done by Nine-Ten's pastry chef. I expected it to be good, but I cannot tell you how many people came up to me afterwards to ask me where I got the cake, and how delicious it was (moist, not too sweet, amazing, etc.).

4) The Event Staff: First, there was a lovely "point person" (Mitsy) available throughout the event that I could talk to about any concerns or additional needs. Additionally, there were staff members passing food on trays, a chef at the carving station, and a great bartender. I felt like the party attendees were all very well served and taken care of, and everyone was professional and friendly---very top-notch.

Bottom line: I think if I had to sum up my experience, I would have to say that each person I dealt with--from the Catering Manager (Cameron) to the guys setting up the tables and A/V--acted like they had a vested interest in making my event truly memorable. I think that speaks volumes, since they undoubtedly do many, many events. They made my feel like mine was just as important than any other.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Cheryl P - Wow is all I can say. I really enjoyed reading your review about your recent experience at the Grande Colonial. Thank you for choosing to celebrate your husband's milestone birthday with us here in La Jolla. It sounds as if everything went off without a hitch...from your room accommodations, to the event set up, the food & beverages and our staff. I will pass along your feedback to Mitzy and Cameron and thank you for singling them out. Seeing as you are in La Jolla, we all hope to see you back soon and often...if nothing more, dining at NINE-TEN. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Bellaire, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have stayed at the Grande many times, and have enjoyed our rooms. This trip, however, we had a room in the front of the hotel. The air-conditioning vents were covered in what looked like mold, and by morning, I had terrible allergy symptoms. In addition, the noise from the street at night was ridiculously load and rude (Friday night above Nine-Ten).
The next night we were moved to the other side of the hotel. The staff was very helpful and the view, as always, was great. I highly recommend booking the ocean-view rooms in advance.

Room Tip: I highly recommend booking the ocean-view rooms in advance.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Zfamilyvacations: Allow me to begin by thanking you for your continued patronage over the years. We always enjoy welcoming back our repeat guests. I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with your guest room. Please know that the air conditioning vent is being looked into immediately and any issues will be resolved right away. I also apologize about the street noise issues but am happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate your room change request. We value your continued support of our hotel and do hope you will be back soon. Thank you for taking the time to bring you comments to my attention. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I went with my husband and son to the Grande Colonial for a long birthday weekend. The service was very friendly and efficent and the rooms were nice. Great location! We ate 3 times at their restaurant 9/10 because we loved the food and wine list ...(for a serious calorie splurge -try the doughnuts).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear NYC_Southerner2013 – Happy belated birthday. So happy you were able to celebrate your day here in La Jolla. I trust the weather was beautiful (as it has consistently been for months), since you traveled all the way from DC. I’m also thrilled that you were able to experience NINE-TEN. Yes, I am biased but it is truly one of the best dining experiences in the region (just take a look at our press accolades). Please do come back and see us again soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Been to The Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!