If you are travelling to San Diego and are looking for a fun and classy place to stay that is walking distance to many great restaurants and bars as well as the beaches, then this is your place. My wife and I were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary as well as her birthday. When researching places to stay, the Grande Colonial was at the top of the list and I can see why.
The service was top notch. The first night I realized I left my cufflinks at home. I called the front desk to see if they knew anyone who had any. Yes, an odd request but they found me cufflinks right away. That's what I call service! The staff also knew some great places to eat around the area. They recommended the Brick and Bell for pasties and The Spot for pizza. Both awesome choices!
Housekeeping and the size of the room was also great! Our room was always clean and we loved how spacious it was!
It also doesn't hurt that this hotel has a lot of history (they are celebrating their centennial anniversary right now) and it right next to the ocean. The pool is also very nice. I just wished it was a bit bigger with fewer kids and facing the ocean but the ocean is just 300 feet away!
Also, valet was great. The valet guys were prompt and I never had to wait too long for my rental car. I couldn't imagine having to park in downtown La Jolla so it's great that there was valet service and the price wasn't too bad. Also, the location of this hotel is not that far from highway 5. Just a few minutes and you're on the freeway.
Overall, this was a great value and definitely is a 4 star hotel. Most places I would pay $400 - 500 a night for a place like this but it was only about $300 a night. Book this place if you want to treat yourself to a great time in San Diego!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West.Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). Complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is also available in each of the guest rooms and suites and throughout all public spaces.Over 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor, ocean-view meeting and special event space beckons those groups seeking the intimacy and personalized service of a boutique property – all against a backdrop of La Jolla’s ocean vistas.A heated outdoor pool, valet parking, complimentary bottled water, bathrobes and evening turndown service are just a few of the luxuries guests will enjoy.On-site is the acclaimed NINE-TEN Restaurant, offering the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance. Led by Chef Jason Knibb (a 2011 Iron Chef challenger) and Pastry Chef Rachel King, the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine features the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers where produce is selected daily. Recognized by ZAGAT as “exceptional to extraordinary”, NINE-TEN is also a winner of the 2012 Best Hotel Restaurant in San Diego award and boasts a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list. Breakfast and lunch are served daily and dinner is served nightly.With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, BookIt.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla