“Best place to stay in La Jolla!” 5 of 5 stars

FREE VALET PARKING!
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Redwood City, California, United States
“Best place to stay in La Jolla!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

If you are travelling to San Diego and are looking for a fun and classy place to stay that is walking distance to many great restaurants and bars as well as the beaches, then this is your place. My wife and I were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary as well as her birthday. When researching places to stay, the Grande Colonial was at the top of the list and I can see why.

The service was top notch. The first night I realized I left my cufflinks at home. I called the front desk to see if they knew anyone who had any. Yes, an odd request but they found me cufflinks right away. That's what I call service! The staff also knew some great places to eat around the area. They recommended the Brick and Bell for pasties and The Spot for pizza. Both awesome choices!

Housekeeping and the size of the room was also great! Our room was always clean and we loved how spacious it was!

It also doesn't hurt that this hotel has a lot of history (they are celebrating their centennial anniversary right now) and it right next to the ocean. The pool is also very nice. I just wished it was a bit bigger with fewer kids and facing the ocean but the ocean is just 300 feet away!

Also, valet was great. The valet guys were prompt and I never had to wait too long for my rental car. I couldn't imagine having to park in downtown La Jolla so it's great that there was valet service and the price wasn't too bad. Also, the location of this hotel is not that far from highway 5. Just a few minutes and you're on the freeway.

Overall, this was a great value and definitely is a 4 star hotel. Most places I would pay $400 - 500 a night for a place like this but it was only about $300 a night. Book this place if you want to treat yourself to a great time in San Diego!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Gus E:
I am delighted to read such wonderful comments! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a favorable and comprehensive review about your visit to La Jolla and to the Grande Colonial. You pretty much covered everything and for that I thank you! I am looking forward to sharing your feedback at our weekly staff meeting and pointing out the excellent service you received from each of the staff members you encountered, particularly those who helped you with your cuff-links! That is exactly the type of service we strive for. Hope to see you and your family back on a future trip from Northern California. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
St. Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved our stay at the Grand Colonial in Aug 2013. We had ocean view, room 506, opened our window and saw the sunset and listened to the gulls and surf. The front desk staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Location is great, can walk to the ocean/restaurants/stores. Would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ocean view, top floor, room 506
Dear jgl99:
One of my favorite things to hear from guests about what they like about our guest rooms is the fact that you can open your screen less windows and take in the fresh ocean breezes and sounds of the seagulls and waves crashing on the rocks. It's a truly unique experience and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it, as well. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family had two rooms at the Grande Colonial for 2 nights earlier this week. The hotel is very pretty and the rooms were just right. The best thing was the location -- right next to shopping and restaurant area and very close to the beach. You can walk to the beach where the seals are within a few blocks. The front desk and valet staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We would definitely go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you very much for your very kind comments about your recent stay at the Grande Colonial hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, particularly our prime location in the Village of La Jolla and walking distance of the seals. I do hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future. Meanwhile, thank you again and enjoy your memories of La Jolla. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Los Gatos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved this hotel! From the warm welcome with the doormen at the front, to the terrific bartender and the helpful staff, everything was top quality. The location is fantastic and our room was very comfortable. The bedding was amazing!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an upscale, elegant stay in beautiful La Jolla.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you, LKC2013, for taking the time to post some comments about your recent experience at the Grande Colonial. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay and will (hopefully) choose us as your destination on your next trip down from Los Gatos. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
charlotte, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

As a former resident of La Jolla nearly 20 years ago, I have my biases when it comes to a town I used to live in but perhaps I may be able to provide a fresh view as a visitor and hotel guest this time around. First, I chose Grand Colonial for a location, right in the heart of the Village, within a walking distance to everywhere- to the Cove, shopping, dining, etc. I think you will spoil an experience of visiting La Jolla if you don't take advantage of its unique "home size" town where you will be able cover it on foot. Second, I chose this hotel for the small size and charm and personality that come with it and I was right on. The hotel staff were very attentive and polite like you encounter in the small quality hotels in Europe. For some reasons, I ran into a lot of British guests staying there. I wonder this hotel has some European ties... And the third, I chose this hotel for the value. I think the rates offered are fair and very competitive. If you're to "live" in La Jolla even for a few days, you will have to pay the price. My 16 year old son and I stayed there for three nights and both of us were very happy. Yes, hotel is old and it shows an age but it can be overlook for the other benefits. Thanks for the hospitality. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sfogolden:
Allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you back to La Jolla. I can certainly appreciate your perspective of your experience as a vacationer having lived here many years ago. I hope that things haven’t changed too much since the last time you were here. I also appreciate your recommendation of our hotel. We pride ourselves on being a small enough hotel that we can provide more personalized service to our individual guests. It's because of this that I think we have been and continue to be a favorite of travelers from Europe. Thanks again. See you on your next trip back "home". Terrence Underwood, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I love this hotel everything was great.! I would come back next year.! Excellent staff front desk, house kepping etc.. I love that way that I have 2 service, also that front desk it's very friendly.! THANK YOU Grange colonial.! :)

• Stayed August 2013
Dear joshgroan:
Thank you very much for your positive comments. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you back again in the future. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent three nights at the Grand Colonial last week and enjoyed it very much. The location is perfect and we found the rooms and beds to be very comfortable. The only downside for us that we had reserved a City View Room and were given a room in the basement looking at a wall and some pipes. They did take one day parking fee off for our inconvenience though I thought they should have waived all of it. Our friends had a lovely room on the 3rd floor with a nice Village View and a distant view of the water. We were happy for them but a little sad for us.

Room Tip: make sure to specify that you want either a city view or ocean view and then make sure you get it...
Dear Jenny A:
You bring up a very good point about the way we describe the view each of our guest rooms provide. Currently, we offer ocean-view, partial ocean-view and views of the courtyard or Village. I think we can do a better job of describing these in greater detail to ensure there is no confusion when a guest checks in. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hope you'll be back again in the future and take advantage of those beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Been to The Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!