This really is one of the best spots in La Jolla, right in the Village area, walking distance to the beach, shopping, and dining. Me and family stayed there over the weekend of July 6th, 2013. The hotel itself is nice, has a wonderful lobby and is of historic significance. The room was a double queen, which worked for us and our little girls. The bathroom was definitely my wife's style. We had dinner at the Nine-Ten restaurant one night, and the food was very good. Also had a kid's menu which was convenient if you have small kids who might not appreciate the $39 New York Steak(which was great, BTW).
Parking was convenient, valet right in front of the hotel, and they park the cars close in case you need to grab something. Parking is $25 a night, but that is fairly close to the going rate at hotels in San Diego.
The rooms themselves are good, I wouldn't call them luxurious, but they are just fine considering the age of this historic hotel.
The pool was nice, though if I can make a suggestion to management if they read this, the pool should be just a tad warmer, just a couple degrees warmer and it would have been perfect. If you want to dazzle folks, have the pool feel almost warm to the touch when you first feel it, that will be nice change of pace from most pools I have seen.
All in all, I would recommend a stay at this place, it really is a great way to enjoy La Jolla.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel
- Grande Colonial La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel.2013 is an especially exciting year for us as we celebrate our Centennial as the oldest original hotel in La Jolla. Those who visit and first pass under the Georgian arches and lead glass windows immediately have a sense that they’ve entered a place with a magical and storied past.For the past century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West.Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). Complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is also available in each of the guest rooms and suites and throughout all public spaces.Over 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor, ocean-view meeting and special event space beckons those groups seeking the intimacy and personalized service of a boutique property – all against a backdrop of La Jolla’s ocean vistas.A heated outdoor pool, valet parking, complimentary bottled water, bathrobes and evening turndown service are just a few of the luxuries guests will enjoy.On-site is the acclaimed NINE-TEN Restaurant, offering the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance. Led by Chef Jason Knibb (a 2011 Iron Chef challenger), the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine features the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers where produce is selected daily. Recognized by ZAGAT as “exceptional to extraordinary”, NINE-TEN is also a winner of the 2012 Best Hotel Restaurant in San Diego award and boasts a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list. Breakfast and lunch are served daily and dinner is served nightly.With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jetsetter, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, EasyToBook, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Cheap Tickets, Otel and Tingo so you can book your The Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.