I had to go to La Jolla for business one night and decided to try The Grande Colonial on Prospect in La Jolla Village. I usually stay at the La Valencia up the street but I had heard good things about the The Grande Colonial from friends so I gave it a shot.
This hotel is located in the heart of the village and is in the middle of celebrating its 100th birthday this year.
Location s everything and from this hotel you can walk to tons of bars and eateries within minutes.
The hotel has it's own bar and restaurant and it is good but not over the top...however breakfast is fantastic!
The pool is a disappointment as it is very small and boring with just a peak of the ocean if you stand. No spa as it was built before that was common.
No outside bar by the pool either so if you want a drink as you relax in the sun you must cover up and go into the hotel.
I was given a nice room on the 4th floor on the corner that overlooked the ocean. It was very charming as you really feel the history of this hotel with the architecture and interior furnishings. They have kept it pretty close to original.
Everyone that works there is extremly friendly and professional and I give my hats off to management for hiring a great group of people.
The price difference is about $100 between the La Valencia and the Grande Colonial and it should be. The La Valencia is much more amenitized and the pool is at a whole step up in class with full water views and in ground spa and ping pong and a full bar and waitress service right there poolside.
However, the charm of the Grande Colonial is something that should be taken in like a breath of fresh air and not forgotten too quickly. To go back in time when things were more simple and not so crazy is very refreshing....I will go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West.Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). Complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is also available in each of the guest rooms and suites and throughout all public spaces.Over 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor, ocean-view meeting and special event space beckons those groups seeking the intimacy and personalized service of a boutique property – all against a backdrop of La Jolla’s ocean vistas.A heated outdoor pool, valet parking, complimentary bottled water, bathrobes and evening turndown service are just a few of the luxuries guests will enjoy.On-site is the acclaimed NINE-TEN Restaurant, offering the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance. Led by Chef Jason Knibb (a 2011 Iron Chef challenger) and Pastry Chef Rachel King, the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine features the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers where produce is selected daily. Recognized by ZAGAT as “exceptional to extraordinary”, NINE-TEN is also a winner of the 2012 Best Hotel Restaurant in San Diego award and boasts a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list. Breakfast and lunch are served daily and dinner is served nightly.With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla