“Very peaceful and fantastic value” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
FREE VALET PARKING!
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Toronto, Canada
“Very peaceful and fantastic value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Traveled to La Jolla with my wife and 11-month old son in November 2012 and spent 10 nights there. We chose Grande Continental based on TA reviews and can attest this is a fabulous place to spend a family vacation.

As we traveled with a baby we needed a place that was secure, clean, within easy walking distance to the shore, and also offered an option to stay at an apartment with a full-sized kitchen (as opposed to a kitchenette) as we needed to prepare baby food. Happy to report that Grande Colonial delivered on every count - and then some!

The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable, service unobtrusive and readily available when needed (my wife dropped her diamond earrings into a sink very late one night and the plumber was there within 4 minutes!), valet guys took good care of our SUV and the location was unbeatable.

Plenty of little shops (try designer eyewear at Optical Shop of Aspen just opposite in Prospect Street), organic cafes, beautiful promenade just around the corner with very international crowd, the aquarium, WholeFoods a short drive away - my wife is still raving about that visit and La Jolla with Grande Colonial is now promptly on our to-visit list for many years to come!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My room was shabby, clearly in need of fabric/rug cleaning and musty smelling. It was not at all clear in the booking process that entry to my room was from a not very well lit side street rather than the lobby. When I requested that be addressed, I was offered another room in what I can only term the Motel 6 behind the Grand Colonial.

The hotel is a La Jolla landmark....was most disappointed to find the general standards so low despite a profoundly self satisfied air...

Room Tip: Be careful not to be located in the Garden terrace or little hotel rooms....However, based on my ove...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
El Segundo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is undeniably a La Jolla legend, but this legend clearly rode down the block long ago. I saw that another reviewer said s/he “wanted to like this hotel, but could not.” I feel the same way. I have stayed at La Auberge del Mar many times, and I guess I hoped that this property could infuse history and modernity tastefully like that Del Mar gem. I was wrong. The property is average and the price is excessive. My room (411) was smack across from the lift, which we were able to hear crying out to us all night for replacement. In other words, the lift itself was noisy. Our room was small and unremarkable. The bed was average, though I did like the fact that the windows could be opened. This is always a plus for me. The View was of the town – a view of Panera Bread, to be exact. I like their food, so that was fine. The miniscule bathroom was a slight step up in size from some of the Tokyo hotel micro bathrooms I have experienced. The sink drain – and my daughter’s toothpaste - took ages to drain. The pool was not much larger than the bathroom (ok, I exaggerate, but you get the point). The lobby was quaint and the restaurant seemed to do well. Maybe the suites are better than my room was - I sure hope so. It is time for a hotel makeover. The hotel's ghosts would probably appreciate that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at The Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear WhiskyDoc:
I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. While I appreciate your comments about the hotel being a “La Jolla legend”, I am very sorry that the accommodations did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in the fact that we are indeed a historic hotel (2013 marking our Centennial anniversary). We go to great lengths to enhance the feel of our still intact turn-of-the-century architecture while maintaining a keen focus on modern sensibilities and contemporary sophistication through ongoing updates and renovations. But being a historic hotel, there are things that we cannot change. One being the size and layout of our bathrooms. We are also in the initial stages of planning our next rooms’ renovation, which will take place sometime in 2014. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future. If so, I invite you to reserve one of our suites and/or an ocean-view rooms, rather than the Village view room you reserved this last visit. I think the spectacular views they provide (along with the fresh ocean breezes from the windows that open) will be more in line with your expectations. Meanwhile, thank you for your feedback.
Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife, kids, in laws and I spent five memorable nights at the Grande Colonial last week. It has the complete package - fabulous location overlooking and walking distance to the water; beautiful common spaces and grounds; spacious, well-appointed rooms; and gracious, helpful staff. Walking distance to the dozens of charming shops and restaurants of the village of La Jolla. Easy drive to Sea World, San Diego Zoo and Safari Park, Torrey Pines, and a longish drive to Hollywood.

The staff were uniformly wonderful. The front desk staff were friendly and eager to help with all questions from restaurant recommendations to directions to shopping tips to health club arrangements. The bar staff were great. Even the front door team were enthusiastic and warm.

Would love to visit again!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here with our family and found it clean, charming, and well-located. The staff was very, very friendly and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. I consider myself picky, and I loved it. The only downside is paying a healthy surcharge for the offsite health club. We had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We just finished a week at this beautiful hotel in La Jolla. Great rooms, amazing staff, delicious restaurant and perfect location. Absolutely fantastic and will absolutely stay there if I am ever in town again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Augusta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We made our reservations a year ahead (like we do everything everywhere we go) with a government rate. The government rate has not ever affected the quality of room we have stayed in before. We reserved a king-sized bed and who knows what else but at least that. We got there, and the entire staff was standing in two lines welcoming people at the door because the inn was hosting some kind of hospitality conference, and for two hours in the lobby it was going to be a sea of humanity. The bar was closed as well as the restaurant due to the special event to which, needless to say, we were not invited. When we were taken to our room, I was shocked to see the size of it. It was smaller than some people's closet, our view was a wall and the room smelled like mildew. But the really frustrating part was that the bed was queen-sized!! A year in advance!!! It is our opinion that we were displaced by other guests with the conference, and that's not cool. The staff was friendly but in a way that was not genuine, and no apologies about the room.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask if your view will be a wall.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kay -
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to you about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. Everything you mentioned could and should have been completely avoided. I will start with your room type. We have two guest rooms in the hotel that are available to our government-rate customers. It is our standard to make sure that these guest rooms are described in detail at the time of reservation. Clearly this did not happen in your case and for that I sincerely apologize. Regarding the event that was taking place at the hotel, that information too should have been communicated to you well in advance of your arrival. The Grande Colonial is celebrating its Centennial anniversary throughout 2013 and we did have a large event hosted by our local Convention & Visitors Bureau that evening, which caused the restaurant to open 1 ½ hours later than normal. The bar, however, was indeed open throughout. At any rate, I apologize that you were not notified about this large event and the change in hours of operation for the restaurant. Please know that I will be communicating your concerns with our staff to ensure that our standards are carried out in the future. Best regards,
Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Been to The Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!