We spent 3 nights at the Grande Colonial in the last week of December 2012. The location is amazing, 1 block from the ocean and Children's Pool where the harbor seals can be found, and at the corner of Girard and Prospect St. with loads of shopping etc. We had a double bed room that was quite large and had an "ocean view." Since the hotel is not directly on the beach you can see the ocean behind the buildings in front of you, which is fine. The hotel is in a historic building and nicely maintained, the rooms are nicely maintained as well. Except for the beds which are absurdly small, and no fridge in the room (tough with kids) or coffeemaker. So why the average review? For a boutique hotel that is quite expensive, the service was very indifferent and mediocre. The night we checked in, our flight from the east coast was very delayed and when we arrived at midnight with two small children in tow, the receptionist handed us the keys and that was it. No, can I help you settle in, is there anything you need, nothing. No information on breakfast, that coffee was available in the lobby (we didn't find that out until the day we were leaving) - we certainly did not feel welcome.
This trend pretty much continued. We had bad weather the couple of days we were there and none of the receptionists and hosts wandering around ever walked up to us or had any suggestions for indoor activities. Frankly, the people who worked there just had a temporary sort of feel to them, like no one was in charge. We had to ask for umbrellas, and they took 20 mins trying to sign us in etc for borrowing the umbrellas - which is very unusual as in my experience most of the nicer hotels simply let you borrow them with minimal fuss. They were huge and one was broken.
Our experience at the hotel's Nine west restaurant was much worse. My husband and I ordered two things off the bar menu, the burger and the tuna tartare. The server neglected to tell us that the $14 tuna tartare was literally a teaspoon sized bit of tartare, and a couple of 1/2 inch sizes of tuna arranged artistically on a huge plate. We had tuna tartare in Barcelona that 3 adults shared and could not finish - so it must be a la jolla thing. But regardless it's something to communicate to the person ordering that it's very small and may not be filling if it's the only thing they are ordering. When we politely expressed surprise, the waitress disappeared for the rest of the meal. She would not come by our table, even to replenish our water or ask if we needed another drink. And we were staying at the hotel! Again, suggests that the place lacks strong management.
Overall, this hotel relies on the historic building and great location - but if you're expecting anything more that would make this a memorable experience, then you will be disappointed.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel
- Grande Colonial La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel.2013 is an especially exciting year for us as we celebrate our Centennial as the oldest original hotel in La Jolla. Those who visit and first pass under the Georgian arches and lead glass windows immediately have a sense that they’ve entered a place with a magical and storied past.For the past century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West.Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). Complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is also available in each of the guest rooms and suites and throughout all public spaces.Over 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor, ocean-view meeting and special event space beckons those groups seeking the intimacy and personalized service of a boutique property – all against a backdrop of La Jolla’s ocean vistas.A heated outdoor pool, valet parking, complimentary bottled water, bathrobes and evening turndown service are just a few of the luxuries guests will enjoy.On-site is the acclaimed NINE-TEN Restaurant, offering the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance. Led by Chef Jason Knibb (a 2011 Iron Chef challenger), the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine features the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers where produce is selected daily. Recognized by ZAGAT as “exceptional to extraordinary”, NINE-TEN is also a winner of the 2012 Best Hotel Restaurant in San Diego award and boasts a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list. Breakfast and lunch are served daily and dinner is served nightly.With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jetsetter, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Venere, EasyToBook, Cheap Tickets, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your The Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.