We spent 3 nights at the Grand Colonial 2 weeks ago. The hotel is ideally situated in the center of La Jolla. We were able to easily walk to everyplace we wanted to go including boutique shops and restaraunts.
The hotel itself is in an old building that has recently been renovated. We stayed in a junior suite on the third floor with an ocean view. The hotel is one block from the Ocean. We were immediately greeted by hotel staff that took our luggage . Check in was very efficient and smooth with very friendly staff. We arrived around 12:30PM so our room was not yet ready (check-in is 3PM). We had lunch in the hotel restaraunt (Nine-Ten) and received a call while eating that our room was ready. When we arrived in our room our luggage was already there. The junior suite was very spacious with lots of windows looking down on the patio/pool area with a nice view of the ocean. The windows were great as the weather was in the mid 70's during the day and mid 60's at night with low humidity so we had the windows open all the time and had no need for AC (which the room did have). The bathroom was configured in a narrow long room. It is obvious that they had to work within the confines of this hisotric building and I think they did an excellent job. One nice thing was that you could pick a 2-3 hour window for housekeeping to clean your room each day. The hotel has a very nice lounge/patio area to relax in during the evening or enjoy a morning breakfast. This lunge/patio area is very popular and on two evenings the area was booked for private functions. We could hear the noise from the private functions in our third floor room but it was not overwhelming and the all of the parties were over by 8:30-9PM.
It was a very relaxing time in the hotel and its central location made it so easy to shop or eat out. While the building is old and historic the inside has recently been renovated and everything was new, clean and well kept.
I would defintely stay there again and have no negatives. There is a small pool but otherwise I can not comment on whether it is a good place for families with small children. We certainly enjoyed ourselves and were sorry to leave.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel
- Grande Colonial La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West.Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). Complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is also available in each of the guest rooms and suites and throughout all public spaces.Over 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor, ocean-view meeting and special event space beckons those groups seeking the intimacy and personalized service of a boutique property – all against a backdrop of La Jolla’s ocean vistas.A heated outdoor pool, valet parking, complimentary bottled water, bathrobes and evening turndown service are just a few of the luxuries guests will enjoy.On-site is the acclaimed NINE-TEN Restaurant, offering the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance. Led by Chef Jason Knibb (a 2011 Iron Chef challenger) and Pastry Chef Rachel King, the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine features the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers where produce is selected daily. Recognized by ZAGAT as “exceptional to extraordinary”, NINE-TEN is also a winner of the 2012 Best Hotel Restaurant in San Diego award and boasts a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list. Breakfast and lunch are served daily and dinner is served nightly.With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Venere, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your The Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.