We booked this hotel based on recommendations on Trip Advisor. I was attending a medical conference at the Hotel del Coronado and we had a few days to R&R before the conference started. From the moment we were greeted by the bellman until we checked out, we were treated courteously and promptly. There is one small, slow elevator in the building, which we knew about from previous write ups but we took the stairs except once or twice when we wanted to experience the antiquity of the elevator. If you are expecting speedy, multiple elevators and have an aversion to walking up and down stairs, this place may not be for you. We stayed on the 5th floor (room 506) I believe, which gave us a view down the hill towards the ocean. The rooms were small but beautifully decorated. We used the valet parking, which tagged on another $22/night to our stay but there is an option to park on the street although it is VERY limited. Having the security of the valet parking was worth the price of a couple of drinks.
Unfortunately it was on the cool, cloudy side most of the time we were there, but the nice thing is that the pool was surrounded by plexiglass which kept the constant wind away. Although the maximum temperature when we were there was 68 degrees, when we were sunning down by the pool out of the wind, I actually was quite warm.
There are plenty of dining options and happy hour specials withing walking distance as well as some great shopping. Don't miss walking down by the beach and getting some pictures of the seals and sunset.
If we get back to the La Jolla area, we will definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West.Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). Complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access is also available in each of the guest rooms and suites and throughout all public spaces.Over 5,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor, ocean-view meeting and special event space beckons those groups seeking the intimacy and personalized service of a boutique property – all against a backdrop of La Jolla’s ocean vistas.A heated outdoor pool, valet parking, complimentary bottled water, bathrobes and evening turndown service are just a few of the luxuries guests will enjoy.On-site is the acclaimed NINE-TEN Restaurant, offering the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance. Led by Chef Jason Knibb (a 2011 Iron Chef challenger) and Pastry Chef Rachel King, the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine features the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers where produce is selected daily. Recognized by ZAGAT as “exceptional to extraordinary”, NINE-TEN is also a winner of the 2012 Best Hotel Restaurant in San Diego award and boasts a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list. Breakfast and lunch are served daily and dinner is served nightly.With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Jetsetter, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla