“Sunday Market...Don't Miss It” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 58 things to do in La Jolla
More attraction details
Owner description: The La Jolla Open Aire Market has cultivated the finest local farmers, artisans, and food vendors to make up one of the best and the biggest Farmers Market in San Diego. Each Sunday nearly 150 vendors participate in the La Jolla Open Aire Market providing shoppers with bountiful choices in fresh, locally grown produce, international food, and unique handcrafted arts and gifts. The La Jolla Open Aire Market is fun for the whole family, come picnic on the field, enjoy the weekly musicians, and participate in our family fun days! Located at the corner of Girard St. & Genter Ave., At the La Jolla Elementary School this market occurs every Sunday from 9am to 1pm, rain or shine. All market proceeds benefit the children of La Jolla Elementary School.
Vienna, Virginia
141 attraction reviews
“Sunday Market...Don't Miss It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Before every vacation I take, I check the internet for local farmer’s markets. We find we get a touch of the local ‘flavors’ and ‘tempo’ of an area by what is available. This La Jolla Sunday Farmer’s Market has a little bit of everything. There are tables with ‘flea market’ items, crafts, manufactured goods, prepared foods, fresh produce, and flowers galore. It is open year round on Sundays (0900 to 1300).

I was traveling with my mother, on a special trip returning to her childhood home of La Jolla. She thought it was funny that I was so insistent that we check out the market. But after an early morning church service at her home church ‘Mary Star of the Sea’ I dragged her to the market. We had such a nice morning. I took the advice posted on the web site about the crowds getting large around 1100 and arrived right at opening. There was plenty of parking at that time as they mark the nearby business parking as open during the market hours. The main entrance for the market takes you first through the craft/merchant area. Then you open up to the rows and rows of fresh fruits, vegetables, prepared goodies and flowers. The air had the most wonderful smell! We had a brunch, munching through all the available choices (group tables were available to sit). I felt the prices were reasonable for the market type crowd…and the flowers, so beautiful and reasonably priced; I would always have a bunch of fresh flowers on my table if I lived there. Oh how I wished the hotel we were staying at had a refrigerator so that I could have bought more to enjoy for the rest of our stay.

Bring cash; not all vendors took credit cards, especially when only buying an item or two.