“BBQ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 1,274 restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Barbecue
“BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I tried this place for first time the other night. It was a little strange walking in with the old fashion saloon doors right behind the glass door. I like the sink right there to wash your hands before and after you eat.

I ordered the beef ribs with two sides. I was full at the end. The ribs were bigger than I expected and come dry. They offer two different sauces to cover your ribs with. The sweet sauce was really good. Not to sweet but enough to add to the flavoring of the ribs. The beans were really good with cuts of bacon added to give it a nice flavoring. Highly recommended. The mac & cheese was tasty also with crunchy toppings on top. They also offer beer but I opted out for water. Water does a body good.

Overall, pretty good. I would definitely come here again.

Visited May 2013

84% Recommend
Chula Vista, California
“Long line at Phil's? Come here instead!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Had family from out of town wanting some good BBQ before heading back east. Line at Phil's was around the building, tried Abbey's but she was closed on Sunday. Found this place on trip advisor. Excellent! Comfortable family and pet friendly seating. Friendly wait staff, great BBQ as well. Clean place with a nice western friendly atmosphere. My daughter who is a BBQ freak Loved this place! So did my Cousin! I'll be eating here more often!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“Pooch Friendly - Paws Up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We went on a Sunday at 5:30pm and a dog meet up was just wrapping up on the patio. There must have been about 20 dawgs there.

Anywhere I can take my pooch always gets paws up from me.

Servers are very dog friendly. They had water bowls and rib bones dogs could gnaw on.

As for our food - we got the ribs. Its more of a dry rub style. Good and tasty. I do prefer more of the wet juicy style so you can add the sauce on the side.

I'd go back w/ my dog as there aren't many places left that she can come with!

Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Great BBQ with the Phils BBQ line”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have started to frequent Bulls BBQ which was opened by Top Chef contestant Frankie the Bull and his partner. SInce then Frank has moved on but his recipes remain the same,,delicious beef rib BBQ sauces.

The beef ribs are cut to give you two meat sides per rib so a 3 rib plate could feed two people there is that much meat.

A nice assortment of hand crafted beers on tap and my favorite Mississippi Mud. Also the patio dining is dog friendly so give your dag a treat and take him or her to dinner with you, they get to pick a fresh bone out of the bucket to enjoy while you enjoy the outdoor dining, large screen projection tv as well.

Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“good but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

pros:
good happy hour (get the pulled pork fries they are the best thing here!)
outdoor seating, thats dog friendly
good food(but by no means great)
service is decent

cons:
beef ribs just too fatty with not enough flavor
poor beer choice

bottom line: its a fine place to eat- but there are better places

Visited February 2013