“Good food, great service, huge portions” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #125 of 1,072 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: International
Boise, Idaho
“Good food, great service, huge portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Enjoyed my visit and would go again to try more vegetarian offerings. I had to try the standard Reuben and enjoyed it. Huge, as expected. The cole slaw was good, my friend's potato salad looked better. Their vegie reuben looked inviting, with egg plant and lots of roasted red peppers. The tortilla soup overflowed with food and not too many chips/strips of tortillas. This is a deli that happily strays from strict deli offerings, which I enjoyed.
I wasn't as thrilled with the lemon tart, but my friend loved it.
Our servers were friendly, prompt and forthcoming with descriptions of the food. (Also very prompt when one item was forgotten.)

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New Jersey
“Not a true deli type”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Was there for breakfast. They were slow to sit me. The omelette I ordered was ham, bacon and cheese. The cheese was not in the omelette, it was melted over the omelette and was sitting on top of it. Just not the way I am used to it on the east coast. The hash browns were very average and the toast not warm.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“After the Hype, a Little Underwhelmed, but Food was Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This sit-down deli proclaims a reputation as the 'best' in San Diego and that may well be, but it's far from the best deli food ever. The place is located in the rear of a nice strip mall, and the service was very friendly and efficient. There's a little bakery at the front offering some New York standards, like black & white cookies and Havla that we did not try. When we arrived at 1 p.m. the restaurant was full, but a table opened up in five minutes or so. The menu offered deli fare and a nice selection of breakfast items. I had the veggie burger that the server said was made by the deli and it was good. My husband had an uninspired BLT with coleslaw that he evaluated as 'pretty good!' The fruit side I got had very hard pieces of melon and much better but fewer pieces of watermelon. I think the place is fine and offers many egg dishes that we didn't try. The crowd is definitely older; I saw a few under 40 but most others well over 60-80. It's worth a try if you are in the area and hungry. There's not any other sit down and dine in places in the mall that we saw.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Always on the List When in La Jolla”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Everytime I visit the La Jolla area, we eat at Elijah's at least once. Breakfast is excellent...I highly recommend the veggie omellete. When I ask for my omellete well done, it always comes out well done. When I ask for the home fries well done, it comes out well done. Matzo balls are "authentic Jewish" according my dining partners. Deli sandwiches are generous and reasonably priced. The "empire state" is "awesome" and "huge". A lot of food, good prices....well worth it. Service is also always very friendly.

Visited March 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Like being in Manhattan, but milder weather”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

While we were staying at the Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, we took the small gate to the adjacent shopping center to eat breakfast at Elijah’s Restaurant. It is extremely easy to find Elijah’s if you are entering from the Sheraton parking lot. There were three of us, and we were led to a booth. We noted there were also booths for two people. The servers were extremely friendly and eager to please, and they shared responsibilities efficiently. My son’s Reuben sandwich was delicious. My wife and I had eggs which were also delicious. The food came promptly, and the price was reasonable. We were sorry that we were not staying in La Jolla; otherwise we would have taken home New York style cheesecake and rugulach cookies from the bakery showcase. Many people were buying deli foods to take home. We note that the restaurant does catering, and it has a function room in the premises. We suspect that the same quality of food and service is available at lunch and dinner time. This restaurant is a good deal, and we recommend it.

• Visited March 2013