“Great food, Great Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kline
Description: Exciting, progressive culinary concepts and a relaxing, resort-style ambience has combined to Aloha Sushi Lounge as a dining must in San Diego area. One mere glance at Aloha Sushi Lounge's menu, featuring Asian Fusion dusted with Hawaiian influences, you will see that you are in for an incredible meal. Additionally, Aloha Sushi Lounge features traditional sushi offerings while fully embracing the "new wave" philosophy of sushi, which utilized non-traditional ingredients and techniques to produce sushi specialties that come bursting with an exciting new assortment of taste sensations. Aloha Lounge's tropical decor, highlighted by spacious cabana seating in their outdoor patio, not only lends the perfect complement to their delectable cuisine, it also provides the ideal backdrop to indulge in one of their many fine sakes, wines and sojus. Located in La Jolla and situated mere blocks from the legendary coastline, Aloha Sushi provides a local escape that is deliciously refreshing.
San Diego, California
“Great food, Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I went to Aloha Sushi and Hawaiian Grill last night and were impressed. We have moved to the area and were looking for someplace that we sit outside and relax, but did not have to deal directly with the La Jolla weekend crowd. The is the perfect place.

It is located a few blocks off the main drags of La Jolla which allows you access to the all the shopping and coastal walks, but keeps the noise and traffic to a minimum while you are eating. You are greeted by a friendly hostess upon arrival and the rest of the staff is pleasant and professional.

We choose to sit outside and, as I said, the noise and traffic are minimal. The atmosphere is cozy and comfortable, but definitely casual. You feel a bit like you are eating on the porch of someone's home.

The food is outstanding. We began with the Kalamarie (with a K) starter which is an excellent twist on the traditional Calamari (highly recommended) and then moved onto a feast of sushi. I agree with the many of the reviewers that the sushi is excellent. It is well prepared, the portions are very large and the overall taste is fresh. We ended with the ribs. This dish deserves a review of its own. They are tender and marinated to perfection!

I found the prices to be reasonable for the La Jolla area, the service to be excellent and the food to be a great surprise. Overall, it is a great place to have an outdoor meal if you are looking to avoid the typically La Jolla crowds on a weekend night.

• Visited August 2012

47% Recommend
“Yum Yum Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The first time I tried this place was during San Diego Restaurant week. I had read both good and not so good reviews. None-the-less, I decided to try this place with some friends. Let me say that the Restaurant Week menu was pretty nice. The food was good and the ambiance was awesome. Me and my sister decided to return, but this time trying items off of the regular menu. Every roll, oyster shooter and non-sushi food we tried was excellent. The cabana's are fun and so is this place!

• Visited February 2012
Herriman
“Great sushi with great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Went here with my kids and we weren't disappointed. It was late, but the staff, and especially our waitress, was very nice and helpful. We asked her recommendations and went with what she suggested. It was fantastic. I especially liked the Jalapeno Roll.

Even thought it was late on a weeknight, there were a lot of people there. They appeared ot have been there before and were having a good time.

Not sure if anything in particular stood out. I think it's hard for a sushi restaurant to be completely unique. We went in just wanting good sushi and we got it. I would go there again.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Yummy Sushi with outdoor patio seating and indoor sushi bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Friendly waitstaff serve a fusion of traditional sushi with an 'aloha' flair. If you want the southern California outdoor seating experience or seating at the sushi bar getting to know the friendly sushi chefs, it is your choice. The food is fresh with a unique take on each dish the offer.

• Visited September 2011
Simi Valley
“Horrible food and service, not sushi atmosphere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Used a groupon and read the reviews ... but the reviews were unreliable or maybe there is a new owner or maybe that is why they did the Groupon deal (but I am glad that I only bought one). The hostess was nice, but she was ditsy and clueless, when we gave her our information apparently she didn't write our name down, just our party number and my cell number, but didn't ask for our name (odd). Then 1 hour later we were seated in the Cabana, and the hostess didn't give us menus, give us utensils or napkins and didn't tell the waitress that we were there (we were the last cabana. We waited for 20+ minutes until someone came and found out that the hostess didn't tell the waitress that we were there (according to the waitress).

So we order, and the waitress brought the ginger and sesame seeds were ordered but didn't bring chopsticks or fork to eat them with. STUPID! So we waited 5 minutes and then had to go get someone. Waited 30+ minutes for our sushi to and, by the time they served it, cold tempura which we sent back because it was cold and soggy.

Sake was horrible and cheap quality!! The sushi was made with old fish and tons of rice (I couldn't eat one of the rolls because it tasted so fishy and yellow tail is not supposed to taste fishy!).

WILL NEVER COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited January 2011