“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Holiday Promotion
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

There are not a lot of choices within a long walking distance of the USCD campus. This is one of them. It is set back from a noisy, heavy traffic corner walkable to the beach through a good little commercial district. La Jolla Shores, the other choice, has a very much better location, but is perhaps not quite so nice as Hotel La Jolla. They try to compensate - my room was not quite ready, so I got a free drink in the very pleasant bar. They have a free shuttle - good. They said they would call a cab if I called them - but it didn't work that way. My room very new, clean and pleasant with a good view.

Room Tip: 9th floor was great
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thank you Eric D. for the 4 star review! It is so great to see that you enjoyed our location, amenities and staff. UCSD is pretty convenient from where we are located and I'm glad you were able to use the shuttle vs needing to call a cab. Please let me know if there was somthing we could do to turn your "pretty good" review to "fantastic". You can contact me via email or phone shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com or 858.551.3690.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We were visiting family in San Diego and there was a special rate on rooms at the time we stayed for 4 days in August 2014.

The facilities were of a high standard and the rooftop restaurant had spectacular views. If you wanted to keep things basic the coffee and muffin served in the lobby each morning was enough for us.

It is a short drive down to the shore - not really within walking distance.

We enjoyed the stay. If you have a hybrid car the daily parking rate is 50% - you can always say you think it is :)

Room Tip: Look for online deals.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you chrisparky for staying with us and for giving us a 4 star review! I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. Next time, feel free to take our hotel shuttle or house bikes down to the beach so you don't have you working about finding parking. I look forward to welcoming you back when you make your way to La Jolla again. Cheers! Shannon Foster
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

First impressions were not good. Three frat boys insisting they had to valet park at $28 a day. Phrases like "traffic is insanely insane ... Woh that place is awesomely awesome" get old very quickly. The receptionist was inefficient and the pool a little small.
Then I realised I was a bit stressed. This is actually quite a small nice hotel. Room was good size. Balcony nice and view ( see photo) fantastic. Breakfast was good.
They have a courtesy car which we used a lot. Drivers were always polite and helpful once you filter out the language (see earlier). Also nice touch - they have beach packs which include bucket and spades, towels and frisbee!!
So to sum up ... Wish I'd relaxed earlier. Filter out the Kalifornication language and enjoy. It's a nice spot near great beach in a lovely town. Wish I'd been nicer to the valet lads ... Sorry!

Stayed July 2014
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you ecynon for the 4 STAR Review! I am so happy to see that you were able to relax, unwind and enjoy the amenities during your visit. The Sand'Sational Beach Butler bag is a newer amenity and I'm happy you enjoyed it! I hope we will be welcoming you back the next time you have the chance to visit La Jolla.

Jupiter, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Writing this review bothers me. I really like Kimpton. But this does not feel like a Kimpton hotel, for sure. It's a tall building on the corner of a highway and busy street. The lobby is small but swanky. But the floors have outdoor catwalks to the rooms. The rooms . . . dirty, so dirty . . . and dark. The dust accumulated under the TV was deep - really deep. The shower floors stained black. The windows were filthy. And the rooms were so poorly lit. When i spoke to the Front Desk, she came up to show me another room - just as bad, with a mirror in the bathroom scratched top to bottom, streaks all over the wall . . . the woman said that the new manager had asked for a budget to improve the lighting, but they didn't have the money yet. Poor lighting didn't keep us from seeing the obvious dirt. I loved the valet staff. The Kimpton chain responded quickly with apologies. But this hotel needs a new housekeeping manager. The condition was inexcusable, and the price I was paying was more than the classic La Jolla properties with better locations, like the Grand Colonial where you could chalk it up to charm. Disappointing to be sure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Right now ouch is the best way to describe this review. I'm very sorry that you were so disappointed in your visit to our property Jeff B. As I mentioned in my email to you there is no rhyme nor reason that it would be acceptable for these rooms to have been turned to clean if in fact they were not. I have used your feedback as a learning tool for our housekeeping team to ensure this does not happen again in the future. Once again, please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would be willing to try us out again, we would love to welcome you back the right way.

858-551-3690
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
Fort Lee, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Considering myself a fairly well traveled individual, I am happy to report that our visit to San Diego for my "babymoon" was one of the top three vacations I've ever had, largely attributable to our choice to stay at Hotel La Jolla! It was a beautiful hotel and the room had a gorgeous view of the Pacific, a really amazing bed, nice big shower, stocked mini bar, and a big TV. What more could a pregnant lady ask for after spending the day exploring San Diego. My only regret is that I wasn't able to partake in the daily happy hour! I think about this trip and our wonderful hotel experience often; like now, as I rock my beautiful baby boy to sleep. We can't wait to come back someday soon with our growing family.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Oh smilyshan, thank you for the absolutely wonderful review! I am so happy to see that you had such a relaxing and memorable experience on your babymoon! I am even more thrilled to find out that he has arrived. I hope all is well with your family and we cannot wait to welcome all 3 of you back to the hotel.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights and there was much to like about the hotel. The staff are mostly young and all are enthusiastic and helpful. A special mention to the valets who drove the courtesy shuttle who were without fail charming and went out of their way to help us. However, we found that the rooms were often not cleaned until mid afternoon and the mini bar was not replenished. The rooms do not have good lighting but the beds are comfortable. The main issue we had was that we were in rooms 201 and 211 and the noise from the parking lot and also from the garage was very disturbing, quite often late at night. Doors slamming and people shouting etc...Unfortunately, the hotel were not able to move us and this did colour our view of the place. Finally, although the free wine hour at 5pm is a delightful idea, we did not especially rate the food at the restaurant, although once again, the service was impeccable. All in all, if you are using the hotel as a base, it is fine but as a holiday experience, it is nothing special.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a high floor to get the view and to minimise the noise from the road
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you spursfanlondon for staying with us for your holiday away and for taking time to share your feedback with fellow travelers. I am disappointed to see that you did not fully enjoy your experienced because of the noise level you experienced on the 2nd floor. Unfortunately room moves are tricky when we are fully committed for longer periods of time, I'm so sorry we could not find another suitable room for you. If you would be willing to give us another chance when you return to La Jolla, I would love to hand select rooms for you. Please feel free to contact me directly when you are traveling back to the area, we will take wonderful care of you.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
858-551-3690
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was my first trip to LaJolla. First impression was positive - very cute lobby with wood-like tile floor, eclectic furniture with wood and animal prints. Indoor-outdoor coffee/wine bar, bar and seating areas are definitely the highlight of the hotel. In the mornings the hotel offers coffee & tea and from 5-6 hosts a free wine happy hour social. Little extras such as little smore packets one night to roast over the outdoor fire pits, spinach smoothies for breakfast on national spinach day or the chef doing a cooking demo and making home made potato skins to accompany the wine hour were a lot of fun. Outside is a bar/pool area --the hotel has an excellent restaurant, Cusp and I was able to eat out by the pool and order food from the restaurant. Additionally, the hotel offered a collection of about five different newspapers daily which was nice. Props to the valet staff who was always prompt and friendly and the one bartender - can[t recall his name but he was from Woodbridge, VA who offered a lot of great advice.

The rooms was nice - nothing extra fancy but comfortable and had all of the amenities. However, for the pickier traveler there were some things that were not as perfect - not big things and I'm feeling a little spoiled mentioning them; however, here they are: Ironing board not in the room when we arrived, remote control not working well, no restaurant menu in the room -- despite asking for one on two occasions and being told they would deliver one, no communication about the internet service change out and very long tech support wait (30 min or mote), maid service forgot to restock shampoos and ran out of the floor mat towels, and most surprising was the a majority of the hotel staff -- particularly front desk - did not seem to know the area well so simple questions like 'where is a good place to walk', stumped some of the staff.

Overall, however for the location and the awesome lobby with the little surprises every day I'd stay here again and again and would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to LaJolla.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high level so you can have a view of the ocean
Green Features: Same as others -- hang your towels and they won't wash them.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you mskrisanda for the 4 STAR Review! I am happy to see that you had such a great stay and were so delighted by all of the activities we offer around the property for our guests. Thank you as well for the detailed feedback of where we missed the boat a bit, these details help make us better and will be used as a training tool for our team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Shannon Foster

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!