“Almost there.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Central Arizona, Arizona
“Almost there.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We just spent 4 nights at the LJ.I have to say most of the stay was very nice.The Staff gets a 5 star.They are helpful,polite,and very friendly. No complaints there.
The hotel has a lot of little extras that make it very nice.Free happy hour,coffee in the lobby in the morning, free internet if you are a Kimpton member. You should sign up for this free membership.
Now my complaint. The bathroom. The lighting is the worse I have ever had in a hotel. So bad I had to apply my makeup on the outside balcony. I was told this is to be rectified very soon. Second if you get an end room there is not one single shelf to put toiletries. One hook in all bathrooms so you cannot hang towels,robes,etc.Sad but everything goes on the floor. Hooks and shelves are an easy fix. Being able to hang towels would cut down on wasting water.
I would definitely return, but next time I would take my lighted makeup mirror just in case the lighting has not been fixed.Kudos to the staff.
I did not use the pool, it is very small. I am a beach person so it did not mater to me.

Room Tip: End room,smaller but 2 balconies .bathrooms with no space.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you cactuscromwell for the 4 STAR Review! I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your visit. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed our team so much, they truly are 5 STAR individuals! I would like to see which room you stayed in exactly to better understand the specific items you are referring to, if you wouldn't mind contacting me directly I would truly appreciate it. I assure you this feedback is invaluable to us, I look forward to speaking with you soon.

(858) 551-3690
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My friend and I stayed here July 12th for one night..Upon arriving there was a bloody mary bar in the reception area. Highly recommend! The room was lovely, valet was charming, pool side bar was fun. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we had a great view on the 10th floor. Decided to grab a drink at Cusp on the 11th and had two amazing apps..Then proceeded to go down stairs for the free wine hour. The hotel shuttle took us to a great spot in the village for dinner and picked us up promptly. Couldn't have asked for a better time! Staff is so friendly and helpful. We will definitely be coming back..:)

Room Tip: Pick a floor thats above the 6th floor..for view..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Oh 96frances45, I couldn't have asked for a better review,! Thank you for the 5 STARS. It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful visit and I am elated to see that you enjoyed so many of our amenities. It sounds like our team took such great care of you too, they truly are the best! I can't wait to welcome you back again soon.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We arrived here after a long flight from England. The receptionists were extremely friendly. Our room was ok. We noticed a beautiful outside bar with an open fire and flames shooting from pillars around the edge. We got to the bar at about 10pm to be told by the bar tender that her boss had told her to close as there were no guests. We were told to go to (from memory) the top floor to get our drink and bring it down to sit outside. This we did. 3 more couples then turned up at the bar looking for drinks. The staff were really lovely, breakfast was good and the greeters were exceptionally helpful (as were the staff who drove us out and picked us up. Unfortunately one of the valet parking guys scratched our car quite badly and didn't report it. In the morning we wanted to leave early but were delayed by an hour as, luckily, my husband spotted the scratch and we had to complete claim forms etc. The staff really were outstanding but not reporting the scratch (they must have known they'd done it) and paying an extortionate price to park at the hotel in their own car park was not acceptable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you AAVisitor for the 4 STAR Review! It sounds like you had a lovely visit despite the challenges with the bar and valet. I am so sorry that our bar was closing down at the time you had arrived, I will follow up on our end as we certainly should have taken care of you as opposed to having you go up to the 11th floor bar. Please accept my apologies for your vehilce having been scratched during your visit. We are all human and mistakes do happen from time to time, I can assure you that our team would not try to hide any damage that we caused to a vehicle.. I believe you were in touch with our valet manager regarding this situation already but I am happy to help facilitate a resolution if one has not been found. Again, my sincerest apologies for the troubles with your vehicle having been scratched.

Thank you again for the 4 STAR Review. I hope to welcome you back when you have the opportunity to visit La Jolla again.

858-551-3690
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for the La Jolla Half Marathon. I booked a Patio Deluxe room since we were only staying two nights and I figured it would be easier to get out on race day. The Patio rooms are on the first floor and do not get much (any?) sunlight. These are not the rooms for you if you want to lounge in your room and look at the ocean. It was fine and not unexpected for us though. The beds are super comfy and the shower is great! However, noise from the pool bar really traveled down the hall! I think the smooth walls and floor really amplified everything and it was incredibly loud. It wasn't anything to complain about because I'm not sure it was even particularly late. We just had to sleep early for the half-marathon the next day. (By the way, It was really cool to see staff helping out at a water station!)

I was really impressed with the service here even though I was initially a little annoyed at check-in. When I arrived, the front desk checked me in, but after a little back and forth between the staff, they told me the room wasn't ready. They said they would call me once my room was available (no later than 4). I ate a slow brunch upstairs, wandered all around the property and then decided to take the shuttle into town to kill more time. (Shuttle service is great and the valet guys are so nice!) By the time I got back to the hotel, I could tell they had been checking people in, but I never got a phone call. I mentioned this when I finally got my room key and they were super apologetic and hooked me up with a bottle of wine. Even though they have free wine happy hour, you can't beat even more wine! Also, when I was initially checked in, no one told me about my InTouch perks. After reading about the perks while I was sitting in the room later that night, I went to the front desk and asked about it and they found an envelope with my name on it. Sadly, I didn't have time to use the cocktail/appetizer perk at Cusp. If you're staying at a Kimpton hotel, you really must sign up for their loyalty program. Anyway, outside of the check-in issue, everyone was so kind and friendly.

If I ever go back to La Jolla, I would definitely stay here again...but probably on a higher floor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
vmekyu,

Thank you for taking time to share your...(dare I say superb?) feedback with fellow travelers! I am so happy you stayed with us for the La Jolla 1/2 Marathon and ecstatic that you recognized us in our robe glory on race day! I appreciate the feedback regarding your check-in experience. We should have notified you as soon as your room was availalbe and we should have shared your benefits as a Kimpton InTouch member. All of this feedback will be used as a training opportunity for our team. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your visit and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Dunstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights whilst attending my friend's wedding in La Jolla. Looking at other reviews I contacted them beforehand and asked for a room on Floors 6 or 7, and they were happy to oblige. Checking in Kyle was very friendly and professional and was always so helpful and pleasant if we ever needed to call reception. The room was comfortable with a great view and our daughter loved the see through shower - great if you want a view of the ocean whilst showering!

Yes the pool is disappointing in that it is small and very shallow for such a large hotel. Our 11 year old was very disappointed about that. We had breakfast the first morning but didn't go again as it was very expensive for such a small selection - maybe that's from a British point of view as we like cereals as well as a cooked breakfast, and there weren't any available. We went to the Shorehouse Kitchen restaurant just a 5 minute walk near the beach for breakfast every morning after that - same selection but half the price, and just as tasty.

The valet guys are all great, so friendly and helpful - calm Greg, chatty Lance and enthusiastic Maher! The shuttle service is great, we barely used our hire car whilst we were there. They took us up to the local shops, dropped us off and picked us up from the restaurant we booked for dinner (Whisk 'n' Ladle, recommended by Lance, when he dropped us off at the shops, he even gave a quick tour round the shopping streets in the car, before dropping us off), and they even dropped us off at my friend's wedding venue! Couldn't be more impressed with those guys.

The view from the Cusp Restaurant on the top floor was amazing especially at night. We booked a table for 2 on our last night for our wedding anniversary, and the nice touch was a Happy Anniversary card on our table. Jess was a great waiter, making recommendations from the menu and we had a lovely meal. I sampled a cocktail but found I didn't like it, and when he saw it wasn't drunk he quite happily refunded the cost of it - he was so nice, funny and friendly.

We enjoyed our stay a great deal.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Oh CarolineG821, thank you for this absolutley lovely review! I am so happy to see that you and your family enjoyed your visit so much (despite that darn pool depth). Thank you for the wonderful comments about Kyle, Lance, Greg, Maher and the rest of our team here. I am lucky to work with the best team in the city and I am so pleased to see that they took such wonderful care of you during your stay. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Have stayed here twice. I don't quite see the value the second time with increased room rates. Upfront service is good, but defects arise in room service and the bar. The pool is scrunched next to the bar, so you are held to bar only services apparently. Wasn't quite the boutique experience I was hoping for. It is an incredibly dog friendly place. We moved up the road to the Hyatt for a lower rate and had more consistent service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Taoze,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share feedback about your recent visit. I"m sorry that your recent visit was not a wonderful experience. I can assure you that we do offer food service to guests lounging by the pool, not just beverages from the bar. I would like to better understand the details surrounding your visit in order to understand specifically the areas we could have improved during your visit. Please feel free to contact me directly at 858-551-3690 or you are welcome to email me shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com.

Thank you in advance.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This past weekend a friend and I took our teenage daughters to La Jolla for the weekend. We were hoping for some beach and pool time and a good home base for exploring La Jolla and the greater San Diego area. The Hotel La Jolla did not live up to its online photos and reviews. We were so disappointed in it that we had to check out early and go elsewhere. The pool was downright depressing--no more than 3 feet deep, dirty, small, no whirlpool. The room was small and painted the same drab brown color as the hotel's exterior. The room did not have a bathtub, only a strange shower that was exposed to the room unless you lowered a shade. One small plus was that the hotel offered s'more makings to guests, so they could roast marshmallows in the firepit. The beds were comfortable enough, too. But these amenities didn't compensate for what was lacking.
When we arrived the hotel was hosting a rum tasting. Evidently many young adults visit the hotel's bar for events like that, partaking in live music and happy hour. The problem is the bar area overflows into the pool area, so there is no feeling of privacy or that the pool is exclusive to hotel guests. The hotel seems to cater those people in the partying crowd who don't mind the absence of a pool and outdoor grounds. I wish I could say we liked it more.

Room Tip: Beware of the noise of revelers wafting up to rooms on the lower floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Socalfamily2669,

Thank you for the candor used in sharing your experience with us last weekend. I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy the neutral tones displayed in our room decor, the peak-a-boo showers or the rum festival occurring during the Saturday evening of your visit. I can assure you that we cater to all walks of life and the event that took place is a once a month festival, certainly not something that we offer all the time. Once again, I'm sorry for the disappointments you expereinced. I hope you'll give us another chance to wow you if you are in the La Jolla area again.

Best,
Shannon Foster

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!