“Great location, excellent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer Save More
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Moline, Illinois, United States
“Great location, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel and very close to the beach and many nice restaurants. The cruiser bikes that you can use are fun to take down to the beach but it is a difficult ride to La Jolla Cove. We were given a room on the second floor which was like an old motel room with the entrance on the outside, I believe the other floors had entrances on the inside. I am not sure if we were given this room because we were traveling with our dog or because of the special rate we used. But even though we were on a low floor, we did have a balcony with nice chairs and somewhat of a view. The room was nice but there is no bathtub (and I am told none of their rooms have tubs). Upon request we were provided a Keurig coffeemaker in our room which was nice. Overall nice hotel and very beautiful lobby area,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Lori S, thank you so much for the wonderful 4 STAR review! I am so happy to see that you had such a lovely visit to our jewel. I can assure you that all of the rooms have exterior entrances allowing you to soak up a nice breeze of fresh ocean air while walking to your modern guestroom with the exception of our garden patio rooms on the first floor. Don't forget that you can take a rest from those bikes when heading into the village, our valets are happy to take you to and from in our house car. I hope you'll be able to have a little getaway from that cold weather in Illinois and come back to visit us again soon.

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Spectacular service, luxe rooms and hip and comfortable common areas make this the perfect hotel in La Jolla Cove. On a quick escape with my daughter before a college departure, we enjoyed s'mores in the evening and yummy appetizers and beverages, including a relaxing evening wine hour in front of a welcoming fire pit. Just a 5 minute walk to the beach and great restaurants - be sure to visit The Cheese Shop and Piatti. The hotel's own 11th floor restaurant, Cusp, offers delicious Italian entrees in a cozy luxurious setting with stunning ocean views. Fantastic for couples, families and business travelers - Hotel La Jolla is the perfect place with something for everyone. The service is warm and welcoming and really extraordinary.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Susan E, I am so flattered that you chose us for your mother/daughter getaway. You've described our beautiful jewel in the most eloquent way, we may not let you leave next tiime. We might just steal some of that verbiage for our upcoming website edits....we'll credit you in the foot notes. :) In all seriousness, I am thrilled we knocked it out of the park for you and your daughter and we can not wait to welcome you back.

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Hive landed a nice deal using priceline where my room base charge was below $100 (94 bucks)

The hotel is great with an amazing entrance it is a 4 stars hotel. The valet charge was $28/ night. The room was great and we had an excellent view. The balcony is very cozy and it has chairs. The internet was free because I signed up with the kimpton hotels reward points (free to join) ..

The staff were super friendly , we got a baby crib for out toddler and he also got a small stuffed animal as a gift which was nice ..

The bathroom there was excellent , the shower room got an automatic curtain on a glass wall where the room can be seen from inside the shower room quite fun feature to try :p

The only place where I wld take points off is the offered in room dining menu was poorly chosen to our taste.. I believe I should have been able to order a burger rather than a very sophisticated salad/fruit plate !! Other food options were not so great and the few ones we chose were off the menu !! Papa Johns was the next in room choice that we took and ordered food from there..

As for spa service u can order it to take place at ur own room we didn't try it tho..there is a pool located on the ground floor.. A fancy restaurant on the 11th floor

Thanx

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sami Y,

Thank you for the fantastic 4 STAR review! We are so happy you had such an enjoyable stay and what a great deal! Now that you are part of our Kimpton InTouch program, you will receive exclusive deals that will hopefully bring you back to us time and time again. I'm so sorry you couldn't find anything on our In-Room Dining menu that appealed to you. We've recently revamped the menus since your stay in December, I think you'll find them more appealing when you visit us in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Service at this hotel (and hotel group) was better than any other hotel group in America. The driveway lined with fire pits was beautiful. The bartenders in the restaurant on the roof were excellent mixologist. The rooms were modern and nice. Altogether a wonderful experience and I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms have balcony's and the higher your room the better the view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
You are a gem Keith K from Tuscon! Thank you for this absolutely perfect 5 STAR review, your feedback is short, sweet, very kind and to the point! We have a great team here and I am so happy to see you feel the same way. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Cheers!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I visited the hotel in December 2013, the weather was a little rainy and cold but the staff couldn't have made it a better experience. The view from the restaurant (and women's bathroom) was amazing and the service and food were excellent. During wine hour we met a couple traveling from Aulstralia and spent the weekend with them, sightseeing. It was great having the courtesy car, dropping us off downtown and than picking us up without having to find parking.

Room Tip: Best views are floors 6 and above
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow Chuck S, I have to say that I am envious of your trip to our property. It sounds like you had an amazing visit and made some new friends along the way. When Bill Kimpton created the "wine hour" each night, it was meant for guests to sit down, relax and discuss the days events with oneanother, it is so wonderful to see you and your husband doing exactly what Bill created wine hour for. I hope you made memories to last a lifetime on your trip to La Jolla and I can not wait to welcome you back.

CHICAGO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The only reason I am rating this facility as Very Good, is because the Guest Service Agent at check-in, Valet and the gentleman in the restaurant that appeared to be pulling double duty as the room service attendant and set-up/busperson were so nice. I was not particularly impressed with the server in the restaurant. She was rude and not once other than to put my food down did she say a word. There was no one at the hostess stand, so I stepped into the restaurant and saw that she was waiting a table, but she did make eye contact- she never did come to the front. She did not take the order, didn't offer a warm up on the coffee nor did she bring back the folder with my cc. Just a hot mess. I will find somewhere else to eat to avoid her attitude. This was my first stay at this property, and may be my last depending on the rest of the staff encounters.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Shannon F, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hey Traveler,

Thank you for the 4 star review. I am glad you had a great experience with the hotel staff but am disappointed about the service you received in Cusp. Please rest assured your comments did not fall on deaf ears and we will make certain it is addressed.

Thank you again and we hope you will give us another shot!

Warm Regards,
Nikki Carlson
Director of Rooms
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We just love this hotel. It's pet and EV friendly, our minimum requirements, but the attention to detail was incredible. OpenTable said their restaurant was booked Christmas eve when we arrived, but the front desk called up and got us a table. They were on minimal staff but immediately asked if anyone had food allergies, which my wife does. When the waitress came to take our order, she already knew about the allergies and suggested which plates to avoid. As each course was presented the staff again knew about the allergies and specifically said to avoid sharing certain plates. Amazing attention to details that could ruin any meal. To top it all off, the rooms are clean, beds are comfortable and the entire staff is very friendly and helpful. We have a new home in San Diego.

Room Tip: If you have a dog like we do, the ground floor rooms have patios that the dog can lounge in.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hey Traveler,

Thank you for the great 5 star review! I am so delighted that you were able to enjoy our amazing restaurant Cusp, and that the team took such great care and attention to the details of your meal. Come back 'home' soon!

Warm Regards,
Nikki Carlson
Director of Rooms

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!