“Felt like an indulgence, but didn't break the bank” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Beach Packages
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Riverside, California
“Felt like an indulgence, but didn't break the bank”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our stay was wonderful and exceeded our expectations in many ways. We had a beautiful ocean view room, albeit almost a mile from the beach, but it was beautiful. The hotel has a friendly poshness that made me feel spoiled all week-end. La Jolla is such a fun week-end getaway and for less than $200 a night, we will definitely go back. If you can afford $500 a night for a beach front room, then probably that's what you should do. But, if you want a beautiful updated romantic room with a view with money left for a nice dinner, you really can't do better than Hotel LaJolla. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. There is a complimentary shuttle. If you drive a hybrid, parking is half off. (thanks to the previous reviewer who alerted us to the $28 a night valet parking fee). But, with the shuttle and good walking shoes, we never got back in the car till it was time to go home. Parking is very scarce in town. Delightful time, will go back.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
WOW BnRLovetosail, you've written such a spectacular review that has left us blushing! I'm so happy to see that we spoiled you so much during your weekend away that you already know you'll be staying with us on a return trip. Thank you so much for all of the positive comments, especially those regarding our team, they truly are amazing. We look forward to welcoming you back time and time again.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

There are so many quirky and cool things about this hotel.

For starters, there are a few bikes you can borrow, happy hour from 5-6pm, and it stands alone surround by palm trees in the lovely area of La Jolla.

Our whole stay was complimented by the astoundingly helpful concierges called Charrah. Words cannot express how professional, helpful and thoughtful she was during our stay - recommending excellent restaurants as well as just being a great source of positive energy.

The rooms were great, modern and the bed was amazing.
The TV and furniture was modern and the hotel still seems classic at the same time.
The shower pressure was poor - but we were on the 9th floor.
The fridge was also kind of broken and small.
The guests that were staying at this hotel were all very cool and interesting. It was certainly an interesting place to stay for people.

The pool area is small and the pool shallow - but this place seems more about party and relax than swimming.

Some minor complaints:
The valet was a bit disorganized
They offer a free shuttle from the hotel, but it is shared with the other guests, so it can take its time
The night we were there, a wedding was held on the 10th floor above us. One could hear footsteps and chairs scraping above - but by 11pm it seemed to end and we were so tired we didn't mind so much anyway.

Room Tip: Arrive just before 5pm - Happy Hour where they serve free wine starts then.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Oh Wonderboy 1000, you are quite wonderful! Thank you for the 4 STAR review and for all of the detailed positive remarks regarding your visit. Charrah is pretty amazing and we sure are lucky to have her on our team. I am so happy that she took such wonderful care of you and your needs. It sounds like you had a really nice visit and I hope we will be welcoming you back to the hotel time and time again.

oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights.
First impressions are great,
The landscape is very welcoming , we loved the fire pots lining the drive.
Valets were friendly, especially Ryan, he was very professional.
Front desk while nice seemed a tad young.
The pool area is comfortable and fun.
Lobby is nice. Just 2 elevators, which to our surprise was shared with the service personnel (laundry carts and all)

Rooms at first glance appeared neat and clean. Unfortunately they are not. Housekeeping is not very thorough. Red wine spills on the floor and lower shelf nightstand saturating the travel book.
Nose prints on the balcony glass.
Towel supply was hit and miss,as was attention to trash (small plastic lid) stayed under the sink entire time.
3rd day housekeeping did not service the room until after 430, after my request. The balcony s are not cleaned each day.
Nothing more disappointing to come back after a busy day to an unmade room .
In all hotels housekeeping should be a top priority .
I overlooked this so not to dwell on the negative while spending time with my daughter.
But it bothered me enough to write this review.
I'm hoping management truly addresses the housekeeping standards.
Otherwise we liked the location to la jolla shores. Some fun restaurants there.We did use the shuttle to downtown la jolla. That was handy.
I agree with others the parking fee is a bit steep.
On the fence as to whether I will stay here again. I generally like kimpton hotels , this one needs to get it together.

• Stayed September 2013
rainydaysOregon,

Thanks so much for taking time to write a review about our hotel and for sharing such candid feedback regarding your visit. I am happy to see that you found the team to be so friendly and that you enjoyed the ambiance here at the hotel. The housekeeping challenges you mentioned are just as concerning for us to read as they were for you to experience. I can assure you we take all feedback regarding this matter very seriously as cleanliness is our top priority. We have already implemented new procedures in our housekeeping department based on the feedback you have shared with us to ensure an experience such as yours does not repeat in the future. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope you will give us another chance when you travel to La Jolla again.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband travels on business frequently and gravitates to the Kimpton chain. We were visiting our children and granddaughter in La Jolla and decided to give it a try. We actually booked with an online booking agency because the price was cheaper. When we arrived, they gave us a 2 Queen instead of the King that we had booked. The staff was very nice..explained that it was the booking agency that was the problem... However, they offered us a free bottle of wine for the inconvenience...That was nice....The view from the room was amazing...beds were comfortable...enjoyed the wine hour...nice pool. Since I am a "beach nut", I was happy that they let me use bikes and boogie boards for free and I personally enjoyed the 10 minute walk to the beach. (yes, this over 50 gal still loves to boogie board). La Jolla Shores beach is the nicest in the area...good for young children..lots of families. There is a new playground at the beach also. Another nice service was their free rides within a few miles..this is important as it is not in the downtown area where most restaurants are located. Parking is valet and expensive...but here is my tip...we parked on the street for free--only a 2 block walk from the hotel. There is a also Starbuck's right next door. In summary, I would stay again..

Room Tip: If you want a view, go for higher rooms, but remember that the restaurant is on the top floor, so yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oh irishgirl077, thank you for the 4 STARS! This is such a lovely review to read. I'm so happy to see that our team was able to rectify the error on your reservation and that you found them to be so nice, they really are the best! I'm also happy to see that you were able to get your boogie on at the beach, I love it when guests such as yourself take advantage of the new amenities we've added. I hope you can come back to visit us again soon!

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

While nicely refurbished it is clear this is an old hotel with a makeover. Saying that, the rooms were great, large, clean and comfortable with a great view. The restaurant was excellent and the staff fantastic. I found the valet parking only option inconvenient especially when the carpark was clearly so easy to use. No criticism of the valets though who were uniformly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013
BALSydney,

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to write a review. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed our rooms, the view and most importantly the staff. I know I'm partial but our team is truly the best in the city! I'm sorry that valet parking was inconvenient, we have such a small lot that we want need to make sure there is room for both hotel guests and restaurant patrons. I'm happy our valet team took such great care of you.

Don't be a stranger, I hope you will be able to make it from Sydney to see us again soon.

Ann Arbor MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Hotel La Jolla is a recent addition to the Kimpton group. The renovation of the lobby and lobby bar is lovely. The views from the 11th floor restaurant are impressive and the service is very friendly. (The food was okay without being affirmatively delicious.) Many of the signature Kimpton touches are in place (the animal print bathrobes; the pet friendly policies; the wine tasting hour and excellent complimentary morning coffee; the everything-is for-sale minibar). The staff is friendly, if apparently green. Housekeeping is a problem: my room was not well-cleaned either before or during my stay; leftover dishes from room service ordered by other guests on my floor sat outside in the hall for more than 24 hours before they got picked up. The carpet and furniture in at least my guest room looked as if they had been purchased for or from a less expensive motel. The hotel is also surprisingly noisy. Both outside noise (there seems to be construction nearby) and noise from adjacent rooms were a problem. I'm hoping that things improve with time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear TokyoVisitor,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with other travelers and thank you for the candid review! I appreciate all of your positive feedback regarding the team, the renovation and amenities however, I am very disappointed to hear that you had some cleanliness concerns during your stay. Cleanliness is a top priority of ours and one that we take great pride in but it is clear that we dropped the ball during your visit. I can assure you that the challenges you encountered will not repeat and you'll be ready to give us 5 stars after a return trip to Hotel La Jolla.

Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

After a 4 day cruise, we planned to stay 5 days at the Hotel La Jolla. In the past, we've always had good experiences with Kimpton, whether it be ordering gift baskets for friends, planning a conference or staying as a hotel guest. When planning a trip, we always check to see if a Kimpton Hotel is in the vicinity. But, our recent experience at Hotel La Jolla has changed our impression of Kimpton. We wish we had done more homework and stayed elsewhere. Our vacation days are precious and we want an opportunity to rest and relax. This was not possible at this hotel.

The valet and front desk staff were pleasant enough. The problems began with the room. We were originally assigned a 10th floor room. We read on trip advisor that the 10th floor rooms were noisy, but people have different tolerances for noise so we thought we would give the room a try. Within minutes, we knew what people were talking about. We went to the 11th floor to check out the source of the noise, expecting to find a room full of people. Instead, we found a group of 10-12 people having lunch. Whenever someone moved their chair, we got to hear it in our room. I phoned the front desk and requested a quieter room. I was told that I would get a call back - which did not happen. Fifteen minutes later, one of the valet staff knocked on the door and said we could move to the 8th floor. We scrambled to load our luggage onto the cart, thankful that we were moving.

The 8th floor room was the same layout as the 10th floor room. The rooms are relatively small and dark, with a glass wall separating the shower from the sleeping area. However, there is a blind that can be lowered if one doesn't want to share their showering experience with others in the room. On the 8th floor, we did not hear chairs scraping across the floor above, but we did get to hear the noise from the lounge below. Sitting on the teeny, tiny deck was not a pleasant experience due to the noise coming from the lounge below. We knew our desires and expectation for quiet, relaxing vacation would not be possible if we continued to stay at this hotel. Thus, we checked out earlier than planned. (Thankfully we were able to find superior accommodation with a great view, large deck, for the same rate. And, it was quiet!)

While in La Jolla, we met some friends for dinner. Originally, we thought of meeting our friends at the hotel's restaurant. However, the parking rates our outrageous. For non-hotel guests, the rate is $7 for the first hour and $4/hr thereafter. Our friends would have had to pay at least $15 to park while eating at the hotel's restaurant. We opted to dine at another restaurant in town. The parking rate for hotel guests is also a rip-off ($28/day). The parking lot isn't secure and more often than not, our car was parked 50 feet from the front door of the hotel. Waiting for the valet to get our car was crazy when we could walk to it ourselves.

Our other issue was the lounge. When travelling, we love to have a glass of wine before dinner. From 5-6 pm, Kimpton provides complimentary wine for hotel guests. At other Kimptons, we've been able to enjoy the wine in the lounge. However, this was not the case at La Jolla Hotel. The first night, a private event was held in the lounge. Granted, we were able to sit off in the corner, but it was very noisy. The second night - same thing. A large party overtook the lounge and again it was very noisy. The noise carried to our 8th floor room.

Given the price we paid and the experience we had, I would strongly suggest other travellers consider staying elsewhere. Also, the hotel is located very close to a major road so one can also expect to hear traffic noise. On a positive note, being a member of Kimpton Loyalty allows for free internet access. This was helpful in finding new accommodation.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ouch Cuteluke, this review was painful to read! I can certainly understand your desire to enjoy a nice quiet vacation after spending a week on a cruise ship and I am disappointed we weren't able to provide that for you on this trip. Our lounge is like a moth to a flame in the summer, especially when the weather is nice but we do have another bar upstairs on the 11th floor where you can relax, enjoy your wine and the views of the pacific ocean. It sounds like we should have blocked you on the north side of the building to ensure you had a quieter room away from the happenings around the property. I'm disappointed in the impression you have developed and I'd love it if you would give us another chance. Feel free to contact me directly if you would be willing to try us out again.

858-551-3690
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!