“Absolutely Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer Save More
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
anniedemos
“Absolutely Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

What a beautiful hotel and wonderful location! Lobby is decorated appropriately in a retro Cali kind of way - very chic. Pool and outdoor areas are amazing. Love all the fire pits, torches & indoor/outdoor fireplaces on the property - makes you want to stay put and relax. However, we wanted to explore La Jolla and loved how easy it was to walk to beach / kayaking activities. Bikes are complimentary if you prefer riding. Main part of La Jolla is about 1 mile away and parking is sketchy so Hotel La Jolla offers complimentary "shuttle" service - one of their friendly & knowledgable valets drove us back & forth in a great hotel SUV - we just texted him when we were ready to be picked up and he was there in 5 minutes. Ate at the hotel restaurant on the top floor. The ocean views were breathtaking and the restaurant was just as chic as the rest of the property. We didn't go to the bar but would have loved to it was THAT beautiful! Food was delicious (try the chicken). Our room was great. It appears that every room has an ocean view but I'm not sure. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Request as high floor for a better vista
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Ummm…anniedemose=AMAZING should be the name of this review! Thanks so much for your feedback! Your review was absolutely wonderful to read and I am so grateful you chose us for your visit. It sounds like you had a blast during your exploration of La Jolla and I am so happy we were able to be part of it. Thank you again and we can’t wait for you to return!

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

While the hotel is beautiful and the staff is extremely friendly, there were unfortunately some major problems that could not be overlooked (although it should be noted: the hotel manager did her best to address our problems and offer us discounts, so we definitely give credit for that).

Our biggest problems were the dirty sheets upon checking in, and the generally neglectful staff. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived about an hour after check-in time, and we could see from the outdoor lounge that our room (402) was being cleaned in a hurry by housekeeping staff (room is slightly visible from the end of the lounge). The valet inexplicably couldn't take our car when arriving, because there were no luggage carts (I'm not sure why this prevented him from taking our keys and parking our car?). So my wife stood in the parking lot waiting, while I stood in the lobby waiting... In their defense, they offered complimentary drinks to compensate for the inconvenience, but then promptly neglect to serve us the drinks! I had to remind the staff later about the drinks, which they did eventually bring us.

It was only around 3am that we noticed the sheets hadn't been changed from the previous guests (we hadn't noticed earlier, due to a busy day and general exhaustion, and the fact that we EXPECT clean sheets when checking into a hotel!!). We happened to wake up at that time, and noticed a faint sweat smell. Further examination showed sand or crumbs on the sheets. We knew this couldn't have been us, because the dirt was also in areas of the sheets that we hadn't disturbed (there was more bed surface-area than we needed, since we were traveling with two small kids, and we didn't sleep on the entire 2 beds). We informed the staff the next day, and in the afternoon we were told that the sheets had been changed... They were NOT. We then asked again that they be changed, and they FINALLY were changed. Neglectful!

It's beyond me how a 4 star hotel can overlook something so basic as changing bedsheets when new guests are checking in. It's also beyond me how they could not address this issue when we notified them, on our 2nd day. As I said: Neglectful. The valet neglects to serve us when we first arrive; the housekeeping staff neglects to change our sheets when checking in, the staff neglects to change the sheets when informed of the problem, the staff neglects to serve us our free drinks after offering them to us, as well as other neglectful (but more minor) problems which I won't go into here.

The only saving grace was that the hotel was really nice, the staff extremely friendly, and the manager did make an effort to make it up to us. But it doesn't change the fact that we slept on bedsheets used by the previous guests. We ended up checking out early because of this experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear 514Mike,
Yikes and ouch both apply to this review, it was a tough one to read. I am so sorry this was your experience but thank you for your honesty and candor in describing your room and stay. It sounds like we really missed the mark in just about every aspect of your stay and have a lot of work to do. As a result of your comments, we have implemented some new processes and procedures to ensure a situation like this does not repeat. I hope we have the opportunity to have you back and change your mind about all you encountered – we really want you to like us! Please contact me anytime at shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com so we can review.
Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Jerusalem, Yerushalayim, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We staid for one night.
The belboys were very nice.
The hotel is really beautiful designed.
The room was lovely. Bed was very comfortable, bathroom was nice and clean, a very big flat screen tv.
Overall, a great hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
You are a gem, Tal A! Thanks so much for the kind words, short, sweet and to the point! We have a great team here and I am so happy to see you had such wonderful interactions with them during your visit. Have a great summer and I hope you come back this way soon!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I am a huge Kimpton fan, to the point where if there is a Kimpton in town, I pretty much stop looking and just stay there. The hotels a hip and fun, with great amenities and superb staff and service.

It's also fun to see what they can do with old hotels to moderize and make them fun. This hotel is a classic building from probably the 60s. Before their retrofit, I imagine a cold-war-stylized, brutal cement blight, but they have done their magic again. The approach (a little hard to find their driveway, but nothing to be done at this La Jolla intersection) is lit with cool firepits and once you approach you realize that of course it's a Kimpton. Standard great service, dogs and wine happy hour.

Given what they have to work with, the lobby, sitting area/bar and pool area are fine, but let's face it, not a 5 star. slightly cramped, not much is close by (there is a Subway and Starbucks right next door), so be prepared to drive to most everything. The outdoor walkways will evoke a 1970 high-rise motel deja vu for those old enough to remember this stuff, but the walk is brief and you are soon in a wonderful Kimpton room. Mine had a glass shower stall that actually allowed a view of the ocean while showering, which was cool.

The view rooms are pretty awesome, so opt for one of those.

All and all, this will be my go to place in La Jolla, so give it a try.

Room Tip: get a view up high
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you gsbdiver for the 4 Stars! I’m so happy you enjoyed the magic done on our jewel and found our staff to be nothing short of your expectation of Kimpton. I'm pleased to see that you'll be visiting us again when you travel to La Jolla, that means so much to hear that! Feel free to sit back, relax and let our phenomenal valet team shuttle you around town in our hotel car during your next visit, that way you don't have to worry about driving everywhere.

I hope to meet you on your next visit to La Jolla!

Mount Shasta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hotel La Jolla for 2 days and loved every minute of it. The valet staff was over the top friendly and helpful. Loved having the boogie boards for our daughters to take to the beach. The walk La Jolla beach was so easy!
The pool bar, fire pits and the outdoor movie offered a great place for the adults a great place to relax after exploring.
This stay was booked through Priceline, but we will definitely return on our own when back in the area.

• Stayed July 2013
Oh with5, what a wonderful review! I'm so happy to see that your girls were able to get their boogie on and that you enjoyed the movie in Hiatus. We have introduced a variety of elements over the last several months and it is so much fun to see that guests like you are enjoying them. I hope you can come back to visit us again soon.

Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'm obviously a Kimpton fan-boy, but for real good reason. Our time here was exactly as it should be. Warm and welcoming mixed with a fun and appropriate atmosphere. Kimpton employees seem to be always eager to please, the style is always top notch, and the experience has never been negative. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Well jonathanfrazier, you've just made me a HUGE fan of yours. Thanks so much for the raving review. I know I'm biased but we really do have the best team! I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The Lobby and area by the pool is the social hub and so fun!! Talk to Gervais, the bartender. He will set you up! Intelligent, humble and so talented! <3 The staff are so attentive and the pool area is just amazing. Love the showers!!

• Stayed July 2013
binismom2001, you've written such a spectacular review that has left us blushing! Thanks for the props about Gervais, he is a total ROCKSTAR and I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed his company as much as we do! I love your style, you enjoyed my 3 favorite things, the STAFF, the pool and the peek-a-boo showers. I hope we will get to welcome you back again soon.

Shannon Foster

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!