“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Transferred to this hotel for last 2 nights of our stay for the US Open because we needed their transportation for part of our group.

We were on the 6th floor and our room looked just like the pictures online. The room was very large, easily fit the King bed, and rollaway with extra space.

The views are good, but realize you are not on the water. It is about a 10 minute walk to the beach and several little restaurants.

They do provide vans that can transport you anywhere within 5 miles radius, which includes downtown La Jolla which is almost impossible to find a place to park on the weekend. They also provided beach chairs for no cost.

The staff was courteous to us (not overly friendly, but nice) and any requests were handled very quickly. The one clerk even gave us his personal discount for SeaWorld that he had. They don’t seem to have anyone that normally helps with luggage, but if you ask, they will find someone to help you.

I heard several people check out and they all commented on how happy they were with the hotel and their stay. I only heard one person that was not happy with his room. I think the ocean view rooms might be nicer than the garden rooms.

Do not count on the WI FI, it doesn’t work in most of the rooms, we had to go down to the lobby to get internet.

I think the trick with this hotel is to make your reservation directly with the Sales Dept. at the hotel (and pay extra for ocean view). They seem to make sure you get the room etc. that you are expecting. If you have any problems, ask for them. The people that drive the vans have all local information that you need.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

I stayed here for the US Open. I wasn't expecting an upscale or boutique hotel so my expectations weren't set as high as others who have reviewed this property. There are plenty of newer hotels in this area, but keep in mind they are almost double. Although I thought Hotel La Jolla did charge too much, I understand the US Open will alter any hotel rate.

Hotel La Jolla does have the "old school" feel, but our room was very spacious, clean, and had an amazing view of the ocean from our large balcony. The staff was friendly and Clay's on the top floor had fabulous food, drinks and live entertainment. There were signs all over the property explaining they were going to begin renovations this year and based on the pictures, it looks like it will be an even nicer property than your standard 4 diamond hotel.

The location was tucked away in a quiet part of La Jolla. It was very residental. Starbucks was a few quicks steps from the hotel lobby and it was quiet during the night.

I would recommend this property to friends and family, but also let them know it's an older hotel and not an upscale place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

I actually stayed at the Sheraton La Jolla, until my trip was extended, and my room at the sheraton was already booked out to someone else and had no other rooms available because the US open tour was in town. So my travel agent booked me at the the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores.

I checked out the website before checking in and it looked very chic and upscale, so I was excited. Upon arriving at the hotel, I thought that I had the wrong address, because it looked nothing like the photos on their website.

I walked into the lobby and was not greeted in anyway by the hotel desk clerks. As I requested to check in the clerks had a very rude look on their faces, and was never polite. They asked me to sign a reciept which stated that I had to pay a $15 per day parking fee. Which I thought was rediculous. Noticing that my daughter and husband came back into the hotel carried over 5 pieces of luggage, neglected to offer help with luggage.

When we got into our room it smelled of old wallpaper and cheap dusty furniture. Not the place to go if you are wanting to get what you pay for, everything looks like furniture from the late 80's and very tacky.

The view of the beach is okay. Now, im not a smoker and neither is my husband, but to charge a $25 smoking fee on the balcony is rediculous.

I had alot of work that I had to complete on my laptop, but the free WiFi wireless internet that they offer would only pick up a signal if i was out on the balcony, not in my room.

Terrible, terrible, terrible customer service. And the female manager that works there is a real you know what.

From all my experiences in staying at "upscale" hotels all over the country this is the worst.

Stayed June 2008
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

Had a great weekend. We can only say that the view, the room service, the restaurant menu, food and service were all excellent.
The hotel personnel starting with the Marketing Manager, the front desk personnel all the way to the lady who cleaned our room were all very courteous and treated us with a professional attitude, always answering our questions correctly and eager to please us.
The room was very spacious, well insulated and decorated with excellent choices. The bed was very comfortable as well as the pillows. The ocean view was great!!!!!!!
We will not hesitate to recommend this fine hotel to our friends and family.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — I enjoyed every single thing and every single moment
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

My husband and I spent Memorial weekend in La Jolla. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel. The bellman was a wealth of information. We asked him for information about the Wentworth Gallery and he not only told us all about it ,he also told us about other galleries in the area. I think his name was Jake or Jim anyway he was very helpful..We had a wonderful time and really appreciated the help from the front desk when we called down to request some items my husband had forgot to pack. The view is spectacular and we really enjoyed the food in the restaurant. We were told by the manager at the desk that the hotel will be renovated in a few months. We are definitely coming back in the future!

• Liked — The location and the friendly people
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orange County, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

When we first arrived I could tell this place was going to be a nightmare... We went to go check in and there was a Manager at the front desk who checked us in... On the phone before I came in I asked if we could be upgraded to an oceanview over the phone and the guy said no problem... Then once they had us in the door the Manager told us they were at 100% and there was absolutely no way they could upgrade us to an "Oceanview" Instead of a "Parking Lot" view... This place is nothing but a run down Motel 6 in a ritzy area.. Stay away at all costs... This place isn't in La Jolla.... It's in near the Torrey Pines golf course... Not by the Cove or any sort of entertainment or food.... Starbucks and Subway which most visitors could get in their hometown... The rooms were very old and beat up... The furniture was all mismatched, the pillows were hard.. Two of the lamps did not work... The sheets smelled of BenGay because the sheets were never changed.. The "Garden View" should be labeled the "Parking Lot" View... As their was nothing but cars there and construction going on... The fitness room was all junked beat up peices of exercise equipment... Both treadmills did not work.... Our room only came with decaf coffee so we had to track down the non-english speaking maids and talk in spanglish for about 10 minutes till they figured out we wanted coffee with caffeine in it... We travel a lot and I would say this is probably the worst hotel that we've EVER stayed in... It was bad

• Liked — Absolutely nothing!
  • Disliked — Absolutely everything!
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

I needed a last minute hotel in the metro San Diego area on 5/10, so I gave Priceline a try. I bid $100 for a 4*, which was immediately rejected. I next bid $80 on a 3* in the same area, getting the Hotel La Jolla for $80 on my birthday, 5/10.

I arrived at the hotel at 2:30pm, a little early, but not obscenely so. I asked if I may be able to check in early, but during the check in process they reviewed my reservation then informed me that I would have to wait until 3pm. As I patiently waited in the lobby, 2 other couples checked in without issue. After witing til 3pm, I asked again if I could check in, this time successfully. I noticed a registration from still on the desk from the previously check in guest. The parking fee was crossed out. On my registration form the $10 fee was highlighted to make sure that it was collected. When they looked at my driver's license they noticed my birthdate, but blew it off as a non-event. Kind of disappointing. The other couple checking in at the same time were asked if they needed help with their bags... I guess the body builder looking guy looked like he needed help. The two of us (2 women) checking in on the Priceline reservation were left to carry our own bags.

Getting to our room, the first that that we noticed was the dirty room service tray outside our door with leftovers of strawberries, chocolate and other misc goodies. That would have been acceptable had it not sat outside the door until after we checked out the following day. Getting into the room, I noticed that the desk was severely deteriorated. Some may call it "rustic," but in my opinion, it was just plain work out. the Skirts on the chairs were torn, not a small rip, but gaping holes that caused the material to drag on the floor. The bathroom was of average size, however the shower curtain made of white (stained) bath-towel grade terry cloth really seemed tacky, and under the sink the hotel had created a small partition made of old towels and PVC pipe. The bottom of the bath tub was worn and peeling. When I took a shower at 4pm, I ran out of hot water in under 5 minutes. The free internet access that the hotel touts on its website did NOT work despite repeated attempts, unless one wishes to count the open network wireless that a nearby resident had running. I did get a good wifi signal from the Starbucks next door, but I really didn't want to pay $10 a day for that. When I reported the wifi access problems, I was blown off and told that it worked, so re check my computer settings.

Upon checking out the following morning, I was treated to a 5 minute wait at the front desk. I can can understand having to wait, but what really irked me was when I was next in line and a couple walked up to check out, the clerk who sat there watching me immediately motioned them over to take care of them.

This was most definitely THE WORST hotel I've ever stayed in, surpassing cheap roadside inns by far.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so the below are provided for reference:

• Liked — OK location
  • Disliked — the service and accommodations
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!