“Take in the” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dunn Loring, Virginia
“Take in the”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had a few days off between conferences for work so I flew to San Diego from the snow in NYC.

Ended up here because both Kimpton hotels in San Diego were either booked or the price per night was outrageous (as were all hotels near the Gaslamp District because of a convention) but I'm so happy I came. As an InTouch member, I received a free upgrade to a higher floor and I arrived late at night as I was flying in from NYC.

Staff: Loved the valet guys! they were very helpful and had the friendliest personalities esp. when I came down to grab a bike to ride down to the beach or asked for restaurant suggestions.

Food: I ordere room service via the door tag the night before. Food temp was hot, bacon was the BEST and the blueberry ricotta pancakes were yummy!!

Room: the set-up was nice and the the shower (see thru or switch activated privacy screen) was a plus. I plugged my iPod into the clock, melted into my bed and was instantly transformed into mini-vacay mode.

I only have one con: My room could have used some heavy dust cleaning. It was thick in the closet, nightstands and front table.

Overall: I LOVED the relaxation and the all too familiar Kimpton bikes. Kudos to the staff!

Room Tip: Book an Ocean View room....at night, a driveway lined with fire pits leads to the entrance and the m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Afronoletravel, we are so happy you chose us! You painted such a beautiful picture of your visit, you now have me craving those darn pancakes! I hope you'll come escape with us every time you visit San Diego! I promise the dust fairies won't visit on your next stay.

See you soon!

Shannon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Location was not the best for vacationers as you are right next to the highways. However if you are here for business it might work as you are close to the main arteries.

Rooms were very average, can see the attempt to modernize the design. However the fact that you can hear the traffic despite having the blinds closed really distract from the beautiful oceanview.

Restaurant upstairs was ok, great view though. Pool was right next to the lobby but again you can hear the traffic and it doesn't feel very tranquil at all.

It was basically an old motel converted, as you walk out of the lift on your floor you are outside so on a cold day it is not very pleasant.

Compulsory valet parking of $24 a night is rather steep. We even found our car to be unlocked the next day!

Good points: drinks and nibbles at the lobby each day was a plus

• Stayed January 2013
Nicky M,

Yikes...it sounds like we need to turn up the music at the pool and block you on the north side of the property for future visits. We like to think we are in a pretty great location, close to the beach, just a quick shuttle ride to the village but not down there with all of the traffic. I loathe the word "average" and I'm disappointed you had such an "average" visit. I hope you'll give us another chance. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you are willing to give us another shot.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hotel has been renovated and the rooms have nice decor. They were very accommodating when I asked to switch to a room further away from the side with the heavier traffic noise. Good views from upper floors. We paid $40 extra to have the view and were glad that we did. Excellent food and service and views from their restaurant CUSP. Gym was small but adequate. We used the hotel car service to get to downtown La Jolla (too far to walk) for art galleries and dinner. It's first come first served. We did not have to wait long. In the morning you can grab coffee at Starbucks which is right next door and then walk to La Jolla shores. Hotel has free coffee in the AM and hosted wine hour in the evening. We had a good experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KarenGinSD,

I catch myself looking for any reason to "inspect" the guestrooms and restaurant just so I can enjoy the stunning views, I can never get enough. I'm so happy you chose us and that you had such a great visit. I hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am in La Jolla a few times a year for work and so I was excited to try out this new Kimpton, since I love their hotels. Compared to the other La Jolla hotels I've frequented -- the Grande Colonial and the La Valencia -- I'd definitely stay at the Hotel La Jolla again. It has all the elements that make a Kimpton so fabulous -- modern but unique decor that takes what's there in terms of the location and improves upon it, well appointed rooms, great lobby, bar and lounge area and great hotel restaurant. As an InTouch member I was greeted very warmly upon check-in, got my "raid the mini bar" card and was even upgraded to a top floor room which as others have said, has a nice view of the ocean. It does take getting used to the idea of the rooms not being accessible from an indoor hallway but rather having to access rooms as if you are in a motel. That one particular element does detract from the overall experience but it's easily gotten over when you reach your room and access the other areas of the hotel like the bar and restaurant. The room was spacious and well organized with its own balcony and a desk area so I could work. I ate at the top floor restaurant, Cusp, one night and our food was delicious. Service was great and the ambiance was lovely with a gorgeous view of La Jolla and the ocean. I lounged in the lobby area which is absolutely beautiful. I love how they mixed a 70s vibe with Asian and California natural influences for a very unique look. The hotel offers complimentary coffee each morning in the lobby which is nice as you head out each day and wi-fi is free for InTouch members and it worked great throughout the hotel. I took advantage of the location and ran along the beach so I only stopped in the hotel gym to stretch and cool down. As others said, it's clean but quite small. There is a free shuttle to the main area of La Jolla near the other hotels I mentioned which we used one night to meet clients for dinner. Driver was friendly and came back to pick us up. IThe one issue I had was after checking out, the hotel claimed I took 2 pairs of socks from the room and charged me $30 for them. I never even saw socks in the room and certainly didn't take them. I called the hotel to dispute the charge and they removed it so all is fine now. Overall I liked this hotel and would stay here again over the other two I've frequented in the past the next time I'm in La Jolla.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have the best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oh PinaColada02, you just made my day! To hear that you will be choosing us over our competitors for all future visits to La Jolla is such a compliment, thank you. I'm so happy you had such a great time with us, even despite those pesky socks finding their way on your bill.

We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Santa Fe, N.M.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Kimpton purchases older hotels and converts them, and that business model affects their hotels because they are confined to the structure of the building. At the Hotel La Jolla, that means motel style rooms, which all open onto an open-air passage way. I beleive that all of the rooms are oriented to the ocean side of the building, and as many others have said, you have a better view of the ocean from the higher floors. I was only on the fifth floor so my actual view of the ocean was so-so, and yet still beautiful. The room itself (a king) was on the small side. There was no desk, but I guess if you are in La Jolla you should not be working in your hotel room anyway. The wi-fi was really pokey, and just barely functioned. The exercise facility was only acceptable; it was small, again the hotel is a victim of the pre-existing building size. There was one upright bike, one recumbent bike, one treadmill, one step climber, and small oldish weight machines. I have seen much better in other Kimpton hotels. The pool is located on the ground level, right next to a bar. The bar looks great. The pool is small, but great patio area surrounding it. Cusp restaurant, located on the top floor of the hotel, was excellent. As with the rooms, the restaurant's picutre windows all face the ocean, and the views are outstanding. The food was fantastic, and the servers were attentive and very pleasant. I would recommend eating at Cusp even if you aren't staying at the Kimpton. This hotel is located within easy walking distance of La Jolla Shores, where the boardwalk and sun-bathing beach is located. La Jolla Village (the cove and the Seal Beach) is probably 2 miles away and not within walking distance. I have stayed at the Grande Colonial Hotel in La Jolla Village several times, and I would recommend the Kimpton over the Grande Colonial based on the proximity of La Jolla Shores, which is the only real swimming/sun-bathing beach in La Jolla.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
DavidBradley,

Thanks so much for the 4 STAR Review, we really appreciate you taking the time to write it! I was happy to see that you enjoyed your visit and that you had such a phenomenal experience at our restaurant, Cusp. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I began my correspondence with Roxanne in January. I was traveling with my dog and I had a lot of questions about hotel policy as well as La Jolla events during March. Roxanne and Hiwot went above and beyond for me and my dog, Tia. Roxanne and Hiwot emailed me a list of activities and policies before my visit, this made my check in extremely easy. They made Tia seem like the most important guest. The staff was wonderfully friendly, polite and filled with local knowledge. I also chose the Guppy Love program...I highly recommend taking advantage of this fun program. From drinks on the patio to the valet staff to the front desk staff, Every minute was enjoyable!!! We will return to Hotel La Jolla , as we are now loyal In Touch members. Kimpton Hotels ROCK!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
No ellewood99, you ROCK! Thanks so much for staying with us and for trusting that our team would take such great care of you and Tia. I am so lucky to have Roxy and Hiwot on my team and I appreicate being able to share your kind words with them.

I hope we will get to welcome you and Tia back soon!

fort lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Initially, we were given a room in a terrible location that was very noisy, had loud dogs nearby, etc. However, the staff went over the top to accommodate us and moved us to a better room. Overall the price was great, the location was fantastic, and the service wonderful. The upstairs restaurant, Cusp, is an added treat for sunsets. The only knock is that the housekeeping is a little shoddy.

Room Tip: Book a room far away from the street side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for the props Gator69 and for the 4 STAR review! I’m sorry your first room wasn’t the right fit but am so glad you trusted our team to change it and find the right solution for you. I'd love to chat with you about the housekeeping inconsistencies you mentioned, feel free to call me at 858-551-3690 or you can email me shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back soon!

Shannon Foster

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!