“Cute hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Special Deal
Breakfast with a View
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Cute hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hotel has been renovated and the rooms have nice decor. They were very accommodating when I asked to switch to a room further away from the side with the heavier traffic noise. Good views from upper floors. We paid $40 extra to have the view and were glad that we did. Excellent food and service and views from their restaurant CUSP. Gym was small but adequate. We used the hotel car service to get to downtown La Jolla (too far to walk) for art galleries and dinner. It's first come first served. We did not have to wait long. In the morning you can grab coffee at Starbucks which is right next door and then walk to La Jolla shores. Hotel has free coffee in the AM and hosted wine hour in the evening. We had a good experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
KarenGinSD,

I catch myself looking for any reason to "inspect" the guestrooms and restaurant just so I can enjoy the stunning views, I can never get enough. I'm so happy you chose us and that you had such a great visit. I hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Shannon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am in La Jolla a few times a year for work and so I was excited to try out this new Kimpton, since I love their hotels. Compared to the other La Jolla hotels I've frequented -- the Grande Colonial and the La Valencia -- I'd definitely stay at the Hotel La Jolla again. It has all the elements that make a Kimpton so fabulous -- modern but unique decor that takes what's there in terms of the location and improves upon it, well appointed rooms, great lobby, bar and lounge area and great hotel restaurant. As an InTouch member I was greeted very warmly upon check-in, got my "raid the mini bar" card and was even upgraded to a top floor room which as others have said, has a nice view of the ocean. It does take getting used to the idea of the rooms not being accessible from an indoor hallway but rather having to access rooms as if you are in a motel. That one particular element does detract from the overall experience but it's easily gotten over when you reach your room and access the other areas of the hotel like the bar and restaurant. The room was spacious and well organized with its own balcony and a desk area so I could work. I ate at the top floor restaurant, Cusp, one night and our food was delicious. Service was great and the ambiance was lovely with a gorgeous view of La Jolla and the ocean. I lounged in the lobby area which is absolutely beautiful. I love how they mixed a 70s vibe with Asian and California natural influences for a very unique look. The hotel offers complimentary coffee each morning in the lobby which is nice as you head out each day and wi-fi is free for InTouch members and it worked great throughout the hotel. I took advantage of the location and ran along the beach so I only stopped in the hotel gym to stretch and cool down. As others said, it's clean but quite small. There is a free shuttle to the main area of La Jolla near the other hotels I mentioned which we used one night to meet clients for dinner. Driver was friendly and came back to pick us up. IThe one issue I had was after checking out, the hotel claimed I took 2 pairs of socks from the room and charged me $30 for them. I never even saw socks in the room and certainly didn't take them. I called the hotel to dispute the charge and they removed it so all is fine now. Overall I liked this hotel and would stay here again over the other two I've frequented in the past the next time I'm in La Jolla.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have the best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oh PinaColada02, you just made my day! To hear that you will be choosing us over our competitors for all future visits to La Jolla is such a compliment, thank you. I'm so happy you had such a great time with us, even despite those pesky socks finding their way on your bill.

We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Shannon
Santa Fe, N.M.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Kimpton purchases older hotels and converts them, and that business model affects their hotels because they are confined to the structure of the building. At the Hotel La Jolla, that means motel style rooms, which all open onto an open-air passage way. I beleive that all of the rooms are oriented to the ocean side of the building, and as many others have said, you have a better view of the ocean from the higher floors. I was only on the fifth floor so my actual view of the ocean was so-so, and yet still beautiful. The room itself (a king) was on the small side. There was no desk, but I guess if you are in La Jolla you should not be working in your hotel room anyway. The wi-fi was really pokey, and just barely functioned. The exercise facility was only acceptable; it was small, again the hotel is a victim of the pre-existing building size. There was one upright bike, one recumbent bike, one treadmill, one step climber, and small oldish weight machines. I have seen much better in other Kimpton hotels. The pool is located on the ground level, right next to a bar. The bar looks great. The pool is small, but great patio area surrounding it. Cusp restaurant, located on the top floor of the hotel, was excellent. As with the rooms, the restaurant's picutre windows all face the ocean, and the views are outstanding. The food was fantastic, and the servers were attentive and very pleasant. I would recommend eating at Cusp even if you aren't staying at the Kimpton. This hotel is located within easy walking distance of La Jolla Shores, where the boardwalk and sun-bathing beach is located. La Jolla Village (the cove and the Seal Beach) is probably 2 miles away and not within walking distance. I have stayed at the Grande Colonial Hotel in La Jolla Village several times, and I would recommend the Kimpton over the Grande Colonial based on the proximity of La Jolla Shores, which is the only real swimming/sun-bathing beach in La Jolla.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
DavidBradley,

Thanks so much for the 4 STAR Review, we really appreciate you taking the time to write it! I was happy to see that you enjoyed your visit and that you had such a phenomenal experience at our restaurant, Cusp. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I began my correspondence with Roxanne in January. I was traveling with my dog and I had a lot of questions about hotel policy as well as La Jolla events during March. Roxanne and Hiwot went above and beyond for me and my dog, Tia. Roxanne and Hiwot emailed me a list of activities and policies before my visit, this made my check in extremely easy. They made Tia seem like the most important guest. The staff was wonderfully friendly, polite and filled with local knowledge. I also chose the Guppy Love program...I highly recommend taking advantage of this fun program. From drinks on the patio to the valet staff to the front desk staff, Every minute was enjoyable!!! We will return to Hotel La Jolla , as we are now loyal In Touch members. Kimpton Hotels ROCK!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
No ellewood99, you ROCK! Thanks so much for staying with us and for trusting that our team would take such great care of you and Tia. I am so lucky to have Roxy and Hiwot on my team and I appreicate being able to share your kind words with them.

I hope we will get to welcome you and Tia back soon!

fort lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Initially, we were given a room in a terrible location that was very noisy, had loud dogs nearby, etc. However, the staff went over the top to accommodate us and moved us to a better room. Overall the price was great, the location was fantastic, and the service wonderful. The upstairs restaurant, Cusp, is an added treat for sunsets. The only knock is that the housekeeping is a little shoddy.

Room Tip: Book a room far away from the street side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for the props Gator69 and for the 4 STAR review! I’m sorry your first room wasn’t the right fit but am so glad you trusted our team to change it and find the right solution for you. I'd love to chat with you about the housekeeping inconsistencies you mentioned, feel free to call me at 858-551-3690 or you can email me shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back soon!

Campbell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Hotel La Jolla is a wonderful spot for travel with family or a romantic get away. The lobby is a welcome place to hang out after an active day or move outside to the patio bar to catch a game on the big screen. Heaters and a fire add to the comfort and ambiance on cooler evenings. Borrow a beach cruiser and ride a few blocks to a spectacular beach and a quaint smaller downtown than the larger La Jolla Village. Don't miss dinner at the Osteria Romantica. Luca will bring a little Italy and fun to your table. Freddie at the front desk recommended the Osteria. All of the staff we're welcoming, helpful and genuine. They know how to make you feel special.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Lisa C for the wonderful 5 STAR review! I’m so glad you enjoyed your visit with us and I appreciate your lovely description of our hotel. I'm pleased that Freddie was able to provide a great recommendation for a romantic dinner. Next time you visit, you should try out our restaurant on the 11th floor, Cusp. You'll find it is quite romantic up there as well and you can't beat the sunset from up there either. I hope you will stay with us again soon.

La Mirada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The staff was so friendly and warm. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with smiles. The room was clean and spacious enough for a family of 4. Great location, near beach area and La Jolla Cove. Had complimentary coffee in the morning and free internet/ wifi The only 2 set back was, for some reason, my hubby and I on diff occasion, ended up hitting our foot at the wood at end of the bed more than once, not sure if it was the way the bed was set up. 2nd, the valet parking at $28, but then again the valet staff was so nice, helpful and friendly, we ended up forgetting about how much it was a night. Plus, they do give you an option to park outside the hotel. Over all though, it was a great hotel. Would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
Rnsmpq, you are outstanding! Thank you so much for the 5 star review! I am thrilled to see that you and your family had such a fantastic visit. I'm equally happy to see that you enjoyed your interactions with our team here, they truly are a fantastic group! I'm so sorry to hear about your feet, yikes! Our beds are unique, espeiclaly in height and it takes a bit to get used to that.Thanks again so much for the great review and please come back and visit!