“Excellent Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lake Elsinore, California
“Excellent Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the hotel La Jolla for my birthday celebration in November. The hotel is beautiful and everyone was so friendly from the valet service to check in and restaurant! We enjoyed the wine hour in the lobby living room and relaxing live music. Had dinner at Cusp, the on site restaurant overlooking La Jolla, great views with floor to ceiling windows, friendly staff, and excellent food! The chef served a sample of delicious fries, we had the pepperoni rolls (yummy!) and the best filet mignon ever! They have a great selection of craft cocktails and wine/beer. I designed my own gimlet, it was deliciou! Our waiter recommended the peanut butter chocolate cake desert, and it was divine! Served with carmelized banana and fresh whip cream! The whole dining experience was over the top perfection and very reasonable priced for gourmet food and drink! I would definitely dine at Cusp again! What a treat!
The hotel has a great location, we took a morning walk to La Jolla shores. There are shops and the beach within walking distance, and the neighborhood is great!
The room was fantastic with comfortable beds, great amenities for the shower, etc. Flat screen tv, and a balcony too. The beds are the most comfortable, and I love the animal print robes! Excellent stay, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Ask for a beach facing room or a higher floor for a great view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Kathy M,

Thanks so much for the raving review! I was so happy to see you had such a phenomenal experience with us for your birthday celebration. I'm glad you were able to relax and enjoy many of the amenities we offer, especially our restaurant Cusp and the live music in Hiatus. The music is a new addition, it's so great to see it was well received. I know there are a lot of choices out there, thank you for selecting us to make your special occasion so memorable.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to La Jolla!

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently stayed one night at the Hotel La Jolla. It was the last night of an eight-day road trip around Southern Cali. It was our favorite hotel of all. We wished we could have stayed another night or two. We live in Phoenix and definitely plan to return any chance we get.

We love and are never disappointed in Kimpton hotels. The Hotel La Jolla is lovely. It’s newly renovated upon being acquired by the Kimpton chain and they did a wonderful job. The location is great with a 10-minute walk to the ocean and a 10-minute (ish) drive to down town La Jolla. The hotel even provides car service to downtown on an “as available” basis. This is a nice touch.

We secured an ocean view King room and were super happy. The view was stunning. The room was spacious and spotless. The bed and linens were dreamy. The décor is Kimpton “cool” with a touch of retro. Very modern and comfortable accommodation; we loved it.

We had dinner on the top floor restaurant and it was excellent. Service and atmosphere was top notch and the food was YUMMY. We sat at the window and had an epic view of the sunset over the ocean. It’s a beautiful space. Note: It looked like the window seat tables are all two-tops.

Parking is a “valet only” option at $24 per day. Not terrible for California standards as we paid $38+ per day in LA/Westwood – Uggg.

The lobby and pool area are beautiful and have plenty of seating to hang out and relax in. Nice bar by the pool – great service.

There is a gas station and convenient store right next to the hotel, which is great if you need to pick up some snacks and such.

We loved our experience at the Hotel La Jolla and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ocean view is wonderful...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Tracey Phoenix,

Thanks so much for making us your last stop on the way back to Phoenix! I know that there are lots of hotels to choose from when you make travel plans and I appreciate that you tried us out. It's so great to see that your stay was relaxing and enjoyable and that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities we have to offer our guests, especially after a long road trip.

Thank you for being such a fan of Kimpton and for giving us an opportunity to exceed your expectations!

I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to La Jolla.

Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Three of us 50 something gals used this hotel as a base for a weekend away last weekend. Everyone from the parking attendants to the desk clerk was over the top pleasant and friendly. The room was clean and neat, and the location just far enough away from the La Jolla hoopla to be relaxing, but less than a 5 minute drive away. Will stay here again! Be sure that you sign up for the Kimpton membership - free internet, upgraded room, and $10 in the minibar! The only teeny negative was the elevator - seemed scarily old - and a messy food/cleaning cart in the hall several times. Food in the hall from room service is my pet peeve - hotels should stick a card on the tray that says "when you are finished, simply place your dishes outside and call the desk for pickup." Even great hotels seem to have dirty dishes in the hall for hours!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear shoot4moon,

Thank you for staying with us for your ladies weekend away and for sharing your great experience for others to see! Thank you for your kind words about our team as well, we are very lucky to have such a great team! I can certainly understand how dirty dishes in the halls would be a pet peeve, I can assure you that we are actively addressing this issue and it should not be a concern on future visits.

Thanks again for your feedback, I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Warm Regards,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have always loved staying at kimpton properties and this hotel was definitely what i was expecting. They spared no expense just like their other properties! I am not too fond of big cities, but la jolla was a very nice, and quaint town. Rooms were AMAZING and beds were toooo luxurious!

always coming back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dmitryi K,

I was so happy to see that you had such an enjoyable stay at our beautiful hotel. Feedback like yours is very much appreciated! La Jolla is definitely a great town that doesn't have quite as much of the hustle and bustle of a big city.

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to having you again soon!

Vernon Hills, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel has many great features but tons of quirks are still being worked out!

The Pros:
Upon check-in I was told that since I'm a member, I would receive an upgraded room. I wasn't told exactly what that meant but I'm assuming it meant a higher floor. I was on the 6th floor and had a beautiful view of the ocean. The room itself was very nice and comfortable.

Room service was quick and the food was good.

I used the shuttle service twice and the staff was very friendly.

Free wine from 5-6 pm is a great feature.

The bar has a beautiful view and Nate the bartender is awesome!

Very attractive hotel in a great location.

The Cons:
I arrived on a Tuesday and had a business meeting in the hotel on Wednesday and Thursday. When I came back after my meeting Wednesday, housekeeping had not arrived. I had left food from room service in the garbage so I hunted someone down and asked them to empty my garbage which they did. They did not return that day. On Thursday I arrived back from my meeting and still no housekeeping. I didn't need towels or linens changed, but I was shocked that I had to go hunting again for someone to just come in and do the basics. They did not leave me with any clean washcloths. Overall, I was disappointed with housekeeping.

During our meeting on the first day, the projector in the room did not work at all. As the faciltiator, I had to "wing it" until my colleague had a projector delivered from our local office. We also noticed the plates were not clean for our morning breakfast so we sent them back for new ones.

At lunch, our group ate at Cusp which has a stunning view! The food was decent, but one of my colleagues found a twist tie in their salad. Not very appetizing. The same colleague had the granola and yogurt during breakfast the next day and chipped his tooth on the granola! He had to go to the dentist after the session to get it fixed.

I had arranged for a cab at 9:00 a.m. the day of my departure. They called me at 6:20 a.m. to say it had arrived! Fortunately I was awake!

This is not currently a 4 star hotel. It needs a lot of fine tuning before I would stay here again or recommend it to others. Please work on the details folks!

Room Tip: Higher floor!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear GeiFamily,

Thank you so much for staying with us recently and for providing such candid feedback regarding your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the disappointments you experienced while with us. I can assure you that although nuances occur with new hotels opening, your experience with us is definitely not the norm.

I would love to discuss your experience further as well as regain your trust in the Kimpton experience at Hotel La Jolla.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Warm Regards,

858.551.3690
Portland, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

From the moment I arrived I wasn't sure if I was in La Jolla California or some other tropical paradise. The drive up is lined with fire bowls giving that island feel. The spacious and open lobby reminded me of the open air lobbys of Cabo San Lucas. The staff was equally on par with a tropical holiday get away. I was working on this trip but when I wasn't at work I felt like I was on an exotic vacation. This is not a beach front property, but from the eighth floor and patio doors open I could hear the sound of the waves crashing on the beach. The rooms were spotless and large. The floor to ceiling windows and sliding glass door made the ocean view the center piece. I usually watch the news, but how could that compete with such gorgeous views? I will definitely be staying at this property again the next time I'm in San Diego

Room Tip: If you want a larger patio ask for a first level floor. If you don't mind a smaller patio but in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Mr_Bijae,

I'm so happy to hear you had such a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us. It's so important that whether you are here on business or leisure, you have an opportunity to enjoy all of the elements of our urban hideaway. It sounds like that was exactly what you were able to do!

We look forward to having you with us again soon!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is a relative newcomer to the Kimpton family, only opening a few weeks before we arrived. Was it ready? Not entirely... did that matter... no!
We were booked in for six nights here. However we returned for a further four after a horrific encounter at the Solamar. My word, everyone downtown could learn a thing or two from the star showing at the shores.
When we arrived (after an exhausting flight) the friendly and vibrant Roxanne welcomed us to the hotel. She was amazing and set the bar for the rest of the holiday. Friendly, helpful and ever-so welcoming we felt immediately at home.
From there it got better and better. The food at Cusp was amazing (see separate review) the bar staff from Nate to Jessie to Gervais were always attentive and remarkably helpful - not to mention brilliant at their jobs.
The hotel was utterly spotless and the gym a great asset to the hotel. The pool area was immaculate and ideal for relaxing, despite there being a car wash station beyond the hotel wall. Did that matter - not one jot! The hotel bar is stunning – as is all of the hotel, with it's stylish, sophisticated furnishings and impressive external landscaping.
The bell hops are amazingly friendly and went out of their way to help. The courtesy mini bus within 5km was a great addition and one we used again and again. Each time they were friendly and helpful.
Wine hour was great. Really relaxed and informal with wonderful conversations being had with every manager from Shaun to Caroline.
The rooms we had were great. The second time around being a personal favourite on the 4th floor as the road noise was more noticeable on the 7th, but despite that, they were clean (thanks to Joanna), comfortable and very well provided for.
Can I find anything to fault? The wifi is a bit weak and patchy, but really... that's all.
This hotel was still undergoing the finishing touches whilst we were there, but the amazing, awesome, stunning staff made our vacation the memorable occasion it was. One beer in the bar and the flight was a distant memory, a cheery greeting every day from Roxanne and it was already better. A bit gushing? Perhaps, but then when you stay there you'll understand why.
Hotel Solamar take note - this is how it's done.
Thank you to all staff, we had an amazing vacation and you made that happen!

Room Tip: he rooms in the middle floors are quieter than those at the top, but the ones at the top have better...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Stottie Toaster,

I am so happy to see you had such an amazing stay with us! Your feedback is very much appreciated and has already been shared with our fantastic team! We are so lucky to have Shaun, Roxanne, Gervais, Nate, Jessie, Joanna and the rest of the team here. Although everything was not up and running on your last stay, you'll be happy to know that it is now and we can't wait to have you back!

Thanks again!
Shannon

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!