“Ideal Boutique Hotel, Walk to the Beach!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 24 hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ottawa, Canada
“Ideal Boutique Hotel, Walk to the Beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was in La Jolla on business for a couple of days, and our client recommended this hotel. I'm glad they did. :^)

This hotel has been recently renovated, and it looks it: stylish and beautiful, the lobby is spacious and welcoming, lots of wood and art about to set a lovely atmosphere. The outside bar and pool area is simply stunning, and the seats therein are a great place to enjoy a drink or three. Unfortunately we weren't there long enough to enjoy all of the amenities (in late one night, meetings the next day, out early the following day), but they have the requisite gym, pool, etc., and they looked very inviting. However, we chose to go swim in the ocean instead. :)

The room itself is great, with super comfortable beds...and really, that's all your there for, isn't it? Also a big tv (didn't turn it on) and the usual choice of expensive minibar things.

Two funky robes in the closet were a conversation point the next morning...

The location is good, we walked to the beach after our client meetings, and there are several good restaurants nearby.

All in all, a fine experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Shannon f, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear John C,

Thank you for the great feedback on your recent stay with us! I'm so happy to see you enjoyed the new design and ambiance we've created here. I love that our animal print robes were a topic of discussion for you, they often become and even bigger topic of discussion when our awesome guests wear them down to the lobby for a cup of coffee in the morning. I'm glad that you were at least able to take a dip in the ocean during your short trip, just remember when the ocean becomes too cold, we do have our heated pool for you to enjoy year round!

Hopefully you will get a chace to squeeze in a little more fun on your next trip out and take advantage of our full amenities.

Thanks again!
Shannon

516 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in mid-September and the renovations are complete in typical fantastic Kimpton style! The hotel is gorgeous and the service is above and beyond! I travel frequently for business and the Kimpton's are hard to beat!

The entrance is beautiful and there is a patio area that was busy every night with parties and activity with a bar, pool and modern decor. The room is very clean, comfortable beds, modern lighting, large flat screen TV, and balcony overlooking the ocean a few blocks away. The shower is glass on both sides and gives an open feel to the room.

My favorite part was the restaurant on the 11th floor also overlooking the ocean. Fantastic food, busy every night with people socializing including locals enjoying this new restaurant. It is always a good sign when the local neighborhood eats here as well.

There were bikes available to borrow, a biking path along the beach, a convenience store within steps should you need anything, and a free shuttle to take you where you need to go. There is also a happy hour from 5 - 6 with complimentary wine.

Upon arriving after a long day at work, the GM herself went and found me a can of Diet Coke and delivered it to my room with ice after I mentioned that I would love to find one. The Kimpton service - always above and beyond!

One last nice touch- I waited about 10 minutes for the shuttle because the staff found out that a young guest was celebrating her birthday with them (appeared to be 6 or 7 years old) and they went out and got her a cake. They were singing Happy Birthday to her in the lobby.

This hotel has been a personal favorite for me in all my travels!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Maweshah,

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback regarding your recent stay with us last week! It was such a pleasure to meet you in person and to assist with the Diet Coke situation, trust me, I understand when you just need one!

I'm so happy to see you enjoyed the new design and feel of the hotel and our restaurant, Cusp! As you witnessed first hand, our team here is AMAZING and they love to create special moments with our guests. We are very lucky to have each one of them and look forward to continued opportunities to show our guests what we are all about!

Thanks againf or the great review and I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town!

Shannon
st. paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel was recently bought by Kimpton and was closed for several months for major renovations of the public spaces.
We arrived on the second day after the hotel reopened.
It is beautiful! Impressive open air lobby and bar area. Not much activity in bar yet because it had just reopened but it looks like a great spot to meet with friends for a drink. Both lobby and the open bar have large open fireplaces.
Many of the staff were new because the hotel had been closed but they were all, enthusiastic and ready to help!
Nice rooms. Shower has funny feature of glass side facing the room with an electric shade that goes up and down. (I did not feel the need to watch my hotel room while showering and nor the need to have an audience) Nice balcony with view.
As noted in previous reviews you need to choose an upper level or you will be staring at a wall or parking lot. The rest of rooms have a view of ocean and coast that is a few blocks away. Easy walk to dining and beach. A close drive to La Jolla cove for shopping (2 miles).
Amenities: Free use of bikes. (Biking on beachwalk is nice but no safe way to bike to La Jolla Cove.)
Free wine in lobby each evening.
Suggestions for improvement:
The only option was Valet parking. We took 3-5 car trips per day and each time had to use valet even when we could have walked 300 ft to our car. They opened doors for all 4 of us. Nice the first 6 times, after that not that fun. We ran out of pleasantries to exchange with valets by day 2. Cost of parking $22 per night which may not be unusual for La Jolla. We just wish Self-Service was an option.
The rooms need a mirror outside the bathroom. Otherwise the place is perfect.
One additional suggestion from my husband: Add beer to the wine reception!

Room Tip: As noted in previous reviews you need to choose an upper level or you will be staring at a wall or p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CarolineDyal, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear stpauliewoman,
You are awesome –thank you for the great review! AND for being here on our second day! It has been an exciting time here. I am so glad you liked the new décor and vibe of the property – especially the enthusiasm of the team. We are proud of our new place and continue to get better and come up with new ideas every day. So thank you for your great suggestions! We are in process of adding full length mirrors in the rooms and your husband will be happy to know that we are adding a beer tasting day to wine hour as a test run here. With so many great breweries, how could we not? We will work on the valet process as well.
Thank you again and we hope to see you back here soon!
las vegas, nv.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This review is long overdue. We have been staying at the Hotel La Jolla every September for over 20 years. We keep coming back to the hotel because it is, in our opinion, the best place to stay while in La Jolla. The hotel is not a large hotel but it has everything you could possibly want or need.....pool, hot tub, gym and a wonderful restaurant on the 11th floor. The view is the best in La Jolla from the 11th floor restaurant. The entire staff at the hotel is very welcoming and caring and truly want to know that you are being well taken care of while in their hotel. They also have a valet team that are very nice and a shuttle service to the village if you should need transportation. We are so comfortable knowing what to expect while at the Hotel La Jolla that we don't even think about looking around to see if there is someplace else we would like to try. We are always very pleased and happy to return!

Room Tip: all the rooms are either garden view or ocean view. The rooms are on floors 1-10 and the restaurant...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear jeanetteas2000,
Thank you for remaining so loyal to our amazing hotel! It is a beautiful thing that you have been comfortable here for so long and keep coming back. I’m sure you have seen many versions of the property over the years and am so glad to hear that the welcoming and caring staff is the thing that never changes. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back this month!
Best,
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

renovated hotel (was there pre and post) is sooo cool! great views, room set up, etc. loved the staff, and the shuttle to the beach!

Room Tip: the higher the better the view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
CarolineDyal, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear lkrocks,
You rock! Thank you for writing. We are all so glad you loved the staff and the rooms. And guess what - we are renovating again! We are hope to have you back after we reinvent our lobby, pool & restaurant. Believe me, it's going to be even better than before!
Thank you again and see you soon!
Carthage
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The hotel is located in what is known as the beach area although you would not know that from the grounds, the hotel is located at a well traveled intersection with no direct site line to the beach. But it is there, a short walk away (quarter mile)-- and with the true feel of a beach community. Go down the street leading to the beach and you will find the retail stores associated with your beach vacation, and all the victuals you need as well. Stop at Barberellas for a great brunch or the local deli and have a sandwich with beer - 24oz cans available. Sign up for kayaking lessons Walk a little further and you are on a mile long beach, surf all you want.

Location is primo here.However,the hotel rooms are underwhelming but I think at the correct price point. The extras include morning coffee and free van ride to local destinations – but be sure to come home ontime. If you are on a budget the coffee is cheaper than the Starbucks next door and the van is cheaper than valet parking in the village. But you will pay about $15.00 per night to park at the hotel (eek).

The service is just short of the mark. The staff are well meaning which is important but I fear they are not well supervised. For example, checking in, the only available room was on floor 3, when I asked for something higher a second staff member said there was a room vacating on 4 and I could have that. Neither considered to offer for me to change rooms on the Monday when the hotel was virtually empty. They do not have a business center or general access to the internet. The concierge handed me the phone one night to make a dinner reservation, a bartender, in a hurry to get home for the night, sprayed Windex on the bar close to me,housekeeping knocked on the door over a do not disturb sign.

Hey, I was on vacation. Great location. Stay out all day and enjoy the area.

Room Tip: .A good room is high enough to see the sun set over the ocean but there is a restaurant/bar on top f...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Aeneas,
Thank you for choosing Hotel La Jolla on your journey from Carthage! I hope Aphrodite did not reprimand you for the change of course this time. And thank you as well for your review! You will be happy to know that we are undergoing a renovation and rebranding here at Hotel La Jolla and will be flying the Kimpton flag in the coming months. With that, you will see enhancements to our guest rooms, public spaces and of course, to service. I apologize that you did not receive the most conscientious version of guest service on your last visit, but rest assured it will be a focal point for our new incarnation.
Thank you so much again and safe travels!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Location - just a few blocks walk from La Jolla Shores beach (sure beats looking for parking around there). We left our car at the hotel parking lot for our 2 night stay ($15/night) and the hotel provided a complimentary convenient shuttle to take us into town (although we'd always tip a couple bucks each time). Most of the time, the shuttle was readily available but in the early afternoon rush hour, instead of waiting for it to come back from town, we walked it into town which took about 1/2 hour.
Room - gorgeously decorated in modern decor. Loved the shower - the water pressure, as well as the glass doors looking into the suite with electric blinds for privacy. Flat screen TV mounted on the wall. All rooms have a balcony and all rooms face the same direction (the ocean).
Value - as I had bid for it on Priceline, then I thought I got a great deal. I'm guessing those who reserve through Priceline are given rooms on the lower floors as only the higher floors have an ocean view.
Restaurant - located on the top floor of the hotel with gorgeous ocean views. The food was equivalent to any high end restaurant (very good) but with that, comes the expensive price tag. Excellent attentive service.
Amenities - enjoyed the pool but disappointed that the whirlpool was not open and didn't look to be open anytime soon. Didn't use the gym but looked decent.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
CarolineDyal, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear the_lowdown,
First off, thank you for the opportunity to write that greeting. Second, and more importantly, thank you so much for your gorgeous review! It was great reading what a lovely time you and your family had while visiting. And aren’t those showers fun? You will be happy to know we are renovating our pool area as well as the lobby, entry and other public spaces, so all will be fully operational for your next visit. The restaurant will be also going through some major changes as well and our new Executive Chef will be updating menus to add more value pricing with small plates & big experience. Stay tuned! And speaking of value, please feel free to check our website or call us here on property for competitive pricing. We can usually find a deal or two!
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!
Caroline

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!