“Very good location, trendy - but I would change a couple of things” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7955 La Jolla Shores Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Beach Packages
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Southern Cal.
“Very good location, trendy - but I would change a couple of things”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I got a pretty good deal through Priceline (~$110/night inc taxes and fees) but after the $15/night charge for parking, I may have to rethink. On one hand, it was convenient - only 10 min walk to the best beach and I didn't have to worry about finding a parking space. But on the other hand, $15?? $5-10 for guests seems like it would be more hospitable to their customers. Also, I don't think they tell you this at check-in.
The room we had was small but we could see the ocean. We were on the 4th floor but if you had a room to the south, I would think your view would be blocked. Maybe not a problem on higher floors. It was also not so noise-proof.
There is nice terrace where you could have coffee or a drink, but no coffeemaker or fridge in the room. On our way out, I did see that they had coffee in the lobby so I guess you could take a couple cups back up.
Free wireless internet was nice. Connection was reasonably good. FYI - not a secure connection but fine for checking up on things.
The bed was very comfortable and bathroom was clean and stocked normally. The one thing that was AWFUL was that although they had high end bathroom fixtures, the sink handles were essentially slick chrome vertical tubes. Yes- slick metal tubes sticking up (with no handle) that you have to use to turn the water on or off. Hard to do with dry hands and impossible to do with wet ones. Ended up keeping a dry hand towel nearby to wrap around the tube to turn the water on or off. I don't know what Kohler was thinking when they designed that beauty and what the hotel was thinking when they decided to install them.
At any rate, despite the parking price and the funky sink fixture, it was pretty good deal. If you do walk to the beach, it would be good if you had a wagon or something with wheels to carry your stuff.

Room Tip: Ask for room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CarolineDyal, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Cheryl12,
Thank you so much for staying with us! I appreciate the feedback - especially that you loved our location! We are indeed only 6 blocks from the beach and if on your next visit you need assistance with carrying beach supplies, our complimentary shuttle is always available to make the trip. As you mentioned, the ocean views from the terraces are stunning and indeed vary in scope with each room, so it is always a good idea to check upgrade availability at check-in. As far as the other concerns mentioned, I am happy to report that our internet is now secure and we continue to explore more technology upgrades for the property. We are also planning some facilities upgrades on property in the near future, so we will absolutely consider the frustrating fixtures as an item to address. Lastly, our parking prices are competitive for the area – though I can understand your frustration if not told at check-in. Our parking rates can be considerably reduced for hybrids, so please inquire upon your next booking for some extra savings!
Thank you again so much for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My best friend and I stayed here for 2 nights in April 2011 for a fun weekend away from our families. We didn't know much about this hotel prior to booking the room, just that it was in La Jolla and it was reasonably priced. We were pleasantly surprised!

The valet guys were awesome! They were super friendly and had a lot of great suggestions for things we could do. They were almost too nice to us (I don't mean that negatively - they just went above and beyond). We had a room on a high floor and were able to see the ocean (very cool!). The corridors to rooms are outside, the hotel is not all enclosed. The room was great - 2 beds, nice TV, clean bathroom. There is a big window/wall between the shower and the bedroom area - so the person in the shower can see outside (and anyone in the room can see the person in the shower). There is a "privacy shade" you can lower if you don't want to be seen.

The location of the hotel is really good. We were able to walk down to the beach, to a great breakfast place called Papalulu's, to an ocean kayak place, and to a minimart. The hotel has a shuttle that can take you into the main part of La Jolla. We used the shuttle and it worked perfectly - it was so nice to not have to get in our car.

They have free internet which worked perfectly!

The spa was broken, which was too bad. But other than that we had a great stay and I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We took a 6 day vacation in La Jolla to relax and enjoy the San Diego Coast. The hotel was beautiful and very clean. The restaurant on the 11th floor, "The Grill", was incredible. They also had a fantastic happy hour and our daughter loved the desserts! It also had an amazing view for watching the sunset! During our trip, we had the pleasure of meeting Jason who was the most amazing concierge and also works valet. Every time we turned around Jason was there asking how things were going and if we needed anything! He remembered our names and was incredibly efficient, always helpful, and we felt that we were so very welcome there. When we returned home and realized that we had left something behind in our room, of course it was Jason who answered the phone and handled the return of our missing item. We know without a doubt it will arrive by mail as promised in a matter of days. We also were so impressed with the lighting system in the guestrooms. Everything is on a dimmer switch and we were able to set the lighting for any mood we wanted. The only negative were the faucets in the bathroom. While they are beautiful and modern, they are difficult to turn on. By the end of the trip, I figured out that I just needed to use a towel to help grip the knob and then it easily turned. In short, great hotel, great staff, great food!!

Room Tip: ask to stay above the 7th floor for the best views
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
toronto, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I was coming to San Diego for a conference and decided to spend a couple of extra days. Initially decided to stay in the conference hotel for the whole trip but was told that it was worth a visit to La Jolla. After using Hotwire, we trucked up to the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores and were EXTREMELY pleased. What an amazing place!!!

The staff was friendly, the room was beautiful, the location was phenomenal. We were really happy with the quality of the hotel and the outstanding service we received. They just do it right at this hotel and I highly highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I recently stayed at Hotel La Jolla. I got married on June 4, my now wife stayed the night before to get ready for the big day. I have to say that I am throughly impressed with the service I recieved from Jason E. at the front desk. I will be staying here again and will request to work with Jason specifically. He is friendly and makes you feel like a VIP. I have stayed in many hotels around the world, I must tip my hat to this one.

Room Tip: Work with Jason E. at the front desk
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Margate, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

From the time I arrived until the time I left, I was treated like royalty. Everything was beautiful and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and very considerate. They went out of their way to make my stay wonderful.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the more beautiful a view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Sunnyvale, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had a great stay for 3 nights on the 8th floor. The rooms are very modern and as pictured on their site, though the elevators and exterior were small. All the hotel rooms face the ocean with a narrow balcony that fits a round table and 2 chairs. The valet staff was always friendly and hustled everytime to get our car or drive us around on their shuttle bus. The happy hour appetizers and jazz band at the top floor restaurant were very memorable. We were sad to leave and hope to return again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Jolla, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!