“Beautiful Rooms with Spectacular center courtyard including pool, hot tub, and waterfall! Housekeeping Not as Expected.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton La Jolla Hotel

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Merced, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Our rooms at check-in were perfect in every way!

We had two adjoining rooms. Bedding was perfectly clean and so comfortable! I'm seriously fussy about bedding and had brought my own in case I wasn't happy. I was more than happy!

We called the front desk each morning to say that we didn't need anything except fresh towels and trash picked up. Our kids in the adjoining room were participating in the program to save resources by declining cleaning. On the 3rd day, we recieved a notice saying that when participating in that program, it was necessary to have housekeeping on the 4th day. We were out all day and came back to the hotel late. It was clear that housekeeping had changed our bedding. Instead of a neat tidy room with perfectly made beds and spotless bedding, we now had beds made with sheets covered in lint. The comforter cover had been changed, but had a broken zipper and the comforter was upside down with the zipper at the top instead of the bottom. The mattress pad was placed only halfway up on the mattress and was rumpled. The beds looked sloppy. Since this was the first full housekeeping we'd had in four days, we expected that things would be restocked, but we were wrong. We would have liked cups, water bottles and tissue, but we didn't get it. Oddly, even though we had been notified that our second room had to be cleaned on the 4th day, it hadn't been touched. I called the front desk and had them bring all new bedding up and I changed the beds myself. The night staff was very helpful and did bring, cups, towels, tissue and water.

The room itself was very nice. The decor was attractive. The view out the window to the center courtyard with the waterfall was spectacular!

Pool was very nice with lots of chairs, lounges, and tables. Hot tub was wonderful next to the waterfall and the expansive gardens were amazing in every way!

We were extremely disappointed with Humphreys, the hotel restaurant. We ate breakfast there twice. The atmosphere was nice, but the food was entirely bland and service was very inadequate. We chose to eat elsewhere for our other meals.

We would consider staying here again, but only if I couldn't find something with as nice of rooms and outdoor landscaping, but with better housekeeping. Honestly, we think that we just got a lazy housekeeper on the fourth day. It didn't make sense that the room could be so perfect upon arrival and so badly put together when the housekeeper came on the fourth day.

• Stayed April 2013
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello PackUpTheFamily&Go,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments regarding your recent stay. I was happy to read that you found the guest rooms comfortable and enjoyed our resort-style property. Please accept our apologies for the breakdown in communication with the Housekeeping Department in regards to your service requests and for the subpar service you received at the end of your stay. This is certainly not representative of the level of service that we strive to provide and your comments will be addressed with the staff as a learning opportunity. I was also sorry to read that you did not enjoy your dining experiences in our restaurant, Humphreys. Your comments will also be shared with our Humphrey's team so that we can continue to improve our offerings. We hope that you will decide to give us another try when coming to La Jolla again; feel free to reach out to me directly and I will be happy to book your reservations and relay your preferences to the appropriate departments to ensure your return visit is a successful one!

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I enjoy Sheratons because I always find that I sleep well on their beds. The Sheraton La Jolla was no exception. My room in general was quite comfortable; I loved the view of the pool and surrounding grounds. The landscaping outside was really well done and very pleasant to look at.

In the room itself, I really liked the window treatments. They weren't curtains or drop-down shades; instead, they were beautiful slotted wood coverings with a bar in the center that you just move up and down to open or close. I've never seen this before in a hotel, so I appreciate the uniqueness of the look. The bathroom and coffee area had nice granite countertops. There were also free bottles of water in the room, which are really refreshing when you're just getting in from an evening flight or a long day of meetings.

I enjoyed breakfast at Humphrey's Grill the one morning I was there. I found the menu to be pretty comprehensive with respect to breakfast options. As a vegetarian, I'm always concerned that restaurants won't have sufficient variety for me to choose from, but I didn't think that was the case here. I did not go back to Humphrey's for dinner during this trip, but I would like to the next time I'm in La Jolla.

I've only visited San Diego a couple of times and each time I return, I forget how difficult parking can be in some places. Thankfully, this hotel has its own lot; guests pay $10/day to park in the lot. There is also street parking, but good luck finding a spot. I drove in and out of the hotel at various times of the day and never saw one open space on the street.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the pool; otherwise, you'll be looking at the parking lot
Hello Bijoucache,

Thank you for your great review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I was happy to read that you found your guest room comfortable and well appointed and glad to hear that our Vegetarian menu options are being well received. I hope that we will be able to see you again when you find yourself in La Jolla!

new york,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Wonderful hotel, nice rooms which were very quiet. Restaurant food was above average for hotel food. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. I slept very well in a very comfortable bed. No issues with the friendly staff. I found the hotel pleasant and relaxing even if it was a business trip . Lots of nearby shopping and dinning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hello ale722,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that we could make a business trip a bit more enjoyable for you. We hope to see you again when you find yourself in La Jolla!

Novato, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

we just got back from la jolla our room was small and the bathroom was very small. also the view from our room was the parking lot and also backed to a shaping center you can hear the delivery truck at 5 am that was noisy. the made never stocked the room with right amount of towels so I had to ask her every day for towels, and towelt paper,

Room Tip: stay in building A or B.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello Ghassan E,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize that you did not find your guest room completely comfortable during your visit. I would be happy to personally assist with a future reservation to ensure that we choose the perfect room for you and ensure that the correct number of guests are noted so Housekeeping will be able to bring the correct supplies to your guest room. We do offer larger rooms with larger bathrooms in our Executive Building and also feature options with Garden Views. We will look forward to the opportunity to see you on a return visit.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This Sheraton has a good location as other people have stated! And they are right. (Walking distance to UCSD!) I have stayed at six different Sheratons and this was by far the worst! I give it an average only because of location and the staff are great but the rooms are not Sheraton quality at all. Our room was small and dingy. Very tired looking. The bathroom was tiny and looked dirty. I do think it was clean but it was so old it looked dirty. The air con was the old style floor unit that sounded like a jet taking off, we could not run it during the night as it was so loud. I used Sheraton points for this property and I feel like I wasted them!

Room Tip: Before booking ask if they will guarantee a remodeled new room otherwise book a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hello Sunnycup,

I appreciate you taking the time to send your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you found our location convenient to your business at UCSD and that the staff took good care of you during your time here. I am sorry that you did not find your room completely enjoyable. We do take pride in providing fresh, clean, guest rooms and I am happy to report that we are planning a renewal of our standard guest rooms to begin in the coming weeks. This also includes replacing the older air conditioning units. Currently, our Executive Building is the only building with newly renovated rooms and I would be happy to assist personally with a return booking for you to ensure that you will have a room type that will delight you. Take care.

Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Imagine this: you arrive at your hotel around 7:30 pm. The desk clerk assesses your appearance, telling you, "I hope you get some sleep tonight. You look reeeeaaalllly tired." You proceed to your room in the "Executive Club" area, oddly located overlooking the freeway. You thank your lucky stars that your room is facing the garden, away from the noise of the freeway. However, your heart sinks again when you open the door and instead of seeing the two queen beds that you reserved, you see one king. You call the front desk and are put on hold for 3 minutes. When the clerk finally returns to you, she tells you that in order to fulfill your room request, she'll have to downgrade you to a lower quality room in a different building. While there is no explanation for not having this discussion at check in, she cheerfully points out that the loveseat contains a mattress and she will happily send over a rollaway bed. At this point you surrender to the gods and goddesses of the Sheraton La Jolla, roll over and play dead. You also decide to take home the package of popcorn sitting next to the microwave as a small consolation.

The next morning you are awakened by the sound of showers running and doors closing...and you sigh as you pack up...wishing things were different...

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the freeway. Anything facing the garden will be quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello TravelinSusan2010,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we weren't able to deliver an enjoyable stay for you. Please know that I will certainly share your comments with the Front Desk team and do apologize for any inappropriate conversation. I would be happy to look into your particular reservation situation to see where the error occurred with your bed type. We find that oftentimes a guest will have a permanent preference set in their SPG profile that will attach to all reservations and of course, it may not always be truly wanted. In any case, I would certainly welcome you to contact me so I may research this for you and try to make it right. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I’m with the others who weren’t impressed with this hotel. It’s dingy, dated, noisy, the room was dusty all over, and the service was quite lacking. My room, a deluxe room, was next to the exterior door and I heard people coming and going at all hours. I called down to request a different room but none was available unless I wanted to be next to the freeway or along the parking lot, which is right next to the rooms. The AC unit was really, really loud. I’m not sure how anyone actually sleeps at this hotel. I got a lot of grief at check-out when I asked for a receipt that included the last four digits of my credit card number, something required by my employer and a standard practice at pretty much every other hotel I’ve stayed at, all gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets and retail stores. Yet, when the clerk finally (after more prompting from me) asked someone from accounting to email me what they had fought me on at check-out, it took less than five minutes for it to arrive. So what was the big deal? You’re going to lose a customer forever for a lousy five-minute task? An arrival hint: don’t go through the gate and into the parking lot before you register or if you do, don’t bring your luggage with you to the lobby. There’s a good chance that you’ll just have to drag said luggage and other stuff back out, load it back into your car, and then drive around the building to your room. Better wait to unload everything once you’ve checked in. So, not all hideous: the courtyard grounds are lovely, very tropical, and the fitness center was well supplied with equipment. Room service dinner was just OK, but my breakfast (pancakes and bacon) was pretty good and quite reasonably priced.

Hello llewis98,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize for the confusion at the Front Desk during your checkout. While it is true that our property management system is set up to omit all numbers of the credit card on your folio for your security, I was happy to personally type up a copy of your charges on a template on my computer and detail the last 4 digits of your credit card as requested. I will certainly inform the Front Desk that we can handle these requests in the future when a guest requires more information than our system generates on the folio. Again, my apologies for the confusion as we certainly did not mean to upset or inconvenience you. I hope that you may give us another try and would be happy to assist with a return booking to ensure that we select a room that will delight you.

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!