“Really Nice, Comfortable Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Really Nice, Comfortable Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I enjoy Sheratons because I always find that I sleep well on their beds. The Sheraton La Jolla was no exception. My room in general was quite comfortable; I loved the view of the pool and surrounding grounds. The landscaping outside was really well done and very pleasant to look at.

In the room itself, I really liked the window treatments. They weren't curtains or drop-down shades; instead, they were beautiful slotted wood coverings with a bar in the center that you just move up and down to open or close. I've never seen this before in a hotel, so I appreciate the uniqueness of the look. The bathroom and coffee area had nice granite countertops. There were also free bottles of water in the room, which are really refreshing when you're just getting in from an evening flight or a long day of meetings.

I enjoyed breakfast at Humphrey's Grill the one morning I was there. I found the menu to be pretty comprehensive with respect to breakfast options. As a vegetarian, I'm always concerned that restaurants won't have sufficient variety for me to choose from, but I didn't think that was the case here. I did not go back to Humphrey's for dinner during this trip, but I would like to the next time I'm in La Jolla.

I've only visited San Diego a couple of times and each time I return, I forget how difficult parking can be in some places. Thankfully, this hotel has its own lot; guests pay $10/day to park in the lot. There is also street parking, but good luck finding a spot. I drove in and out of the hotel at various times of the day and never saw one open space on the street.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the pool; otherwise, you'll be looking at the parking lot
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Bijoucache,

Thank you for your great review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I was happy to read that you found your guest room comfortable and well appointed and glad to hear that our Vegetarian menu options are being well received. I hope that we will be able to see you again when you find yourself in La Jolla!

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
new york,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Wonderful hotel, nice rooms which were very quiet. Restaurant food was above average for hotel food. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. I slept very well in a very comfortable bed. No issues with the friendly staff. I found the hotel pleasant and relaxing even if it was a business trip . Lots of nearby shopping and dinning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hello ale722,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that we could make a business trip a bit more enjoyable for you. We hope to see you again when you find yourself in La Jolla!

Novato, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

we just got back from la jolla our room was small and the bathroom was very small. also the view from our room was the parking lot and also backed to a shaping center you can hear the delivery truck at 5 am that was noisy. the made never stocked the room with right amount of towels so I had to ask her every day for towels, and towelt paper,

Room Tip: stay in building A or B.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello Ghassan E,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize that you did not find your guest room completely comfortable during your visit. I would be happy to personally assist with a future reservation to ensure that we choose the perfect room for you and ensure that the correct number of guests are noted so Housekeeping will be able to bring the correct supplies to your guest room. We do offer larger rooms with larger bathrooms in our Executive Building and also feature options with Garden Views. We will look forward to the opportunity to see you on a return visit.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This Sheraton has a good location as other people have stated! And they are right. (Walking distance to UCSD!) I have stayed at six different Sheratons and this was by far the worst! I give it an average only because of location and the staff are great but the rooms are not Sheraton quality at all. Our room was small and dingy. Very tired looking. The bathroom was tiny and looked dirty. I do think it was clean but it was so old it looked dirty. The air con was the old style floor unit that sounded like a jet taking off, we could not run it during the night as it was so loud. I used Sheraton points for this property and I feel like I wasted them!

Room Tip: Before booking ask if they will guarantee a remodeled new room otherwise book a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hello Sunnycup,

I appreciate you taking the time to send your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you found our location convenient to your business at UCSD and that the staff took good care of you during your time here. I am sorry that you did not find your room completely enjoyable. We do take pride in providing fresh, clean, guest rooms and I am happy to report that we are planning a renewal of our standard guest rooms to begin in the coming weeks. This also includes replacing the older air conditioning units. Currently, our Executive Building is the only building with newly renovated rooms and I would be happy to assist personally with a return booking for you to ensure that you will have a room type that will delight you. Take care.

Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Imagine this: you arrive at your hotel around 7:30 pm. The desk clerk assesses your appearance, telling you, "I hope you get some sleep tonight. You look reeeeaaalllly tired." You proceed to your room in the "Executive Club" area, oddly located overlooking the freeway. You thank your lucky stars that your room is facing the garden, away from the noise of the freeway. However, your heart sinks again when you open the door and instead of seeing the two queen beds that you reserved, you see one king. You call the front desk and are put on hold for 3 minutes. When the clerk finally returns to you, she tells you that in order to fulfill your room request, she'll have to downgrade you to a lower quality room in a different building. While there is no explanation for not having this discussion at check in, she cheerfully points out that the loveseat contains a mattress and she will happily send over a rollaway bed. At this point you surrender to the gods and goddesses of the Sheraton La Jolla, roll over and play dead. You also decide to take home the package of popcorn sitting next to the microwave as a small consolation.

The next morning you are awakened by the sound of showers running and doors closing...and you sigh as you pack up...wishing things were different...

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the freeway. Anything facing the garden will be quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello TravelinSusan2010,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we weren't able to deliver an enjoyable stay for you. Please know that I will certainly share your comments with the Front Desk team and do apologize for any inappropriate conversation. I would be happy to look into your particular reservation situation to see where the error occurred with your bed type. We find that oftentimes a guest will have a permanent preference set in their SPG profile that will attach to all reservations and of course, it may not always be truly wanted. In any case, I would certainly welcome you to contact me so I may research this for you and try to make it right. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I’m with the others who weren’t impressed with this hotel. It’s dingy, dated, noisy, the room was dusty all over, and the service was quite lacking. My room, a deluxe room, was next to the exterior door and I heard people coming and going at all hours. I called down to request a different room but none was available unless I wanted to be next to the freeway or along the parking lot, which is right next to the rooms. The AC unit was really, really loud. I’m not sure how anyone actually sleeps at this hotel. I got a lot of grief at check-out when I asked for a receipt that included the last four digits of my credit card number, something required by my employer and a standard practice at pretty much every other hotel I’ve stayed at, all gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets and retail stores. Yet, when the clerk finally (after more prompting from me) asked someone from accounting to email me what they had fought me on at check-out, it took less than five minutes for it to arrive. So what was the big deal? You’re going to lose a customer forever for a lousy five-minute task? An arrival hint: don’t go through the gate and into the parking lot before you register or if you do, don’t bring your luggage with you to the lobby. There’s a good chance that you’ll just have to drag said luggage and other stuff back out, load it back into your car, and then drive around the building to your room. Better wait to unload everything once you’ve checked in. So, not all hideous: the courtyard grounds are lovely, very tropical, and the fitness center was well supplied with equipment. Room service dinner was just OK, but my breakfast (pancakes and bacon) was pretty good and quite reasonably priced.

Hello llewis98,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize for the confusion at the Front Desk during your checkout. While it is true that our property management system is set up to omit all numbers of the credit card on your folio for your security, I was happy to personally type up a copy of your charges on a template on my computer and detail the last 4 digits of your credit card as requested. I will certainly inform the Front Desk that we can handle these requests in the future when a guest requires more information than our system generates on the folio. Again, my apologies for the confusion as we certainly did not mean to upset or inconvenience you. I hope that you may give us another try and would be happy to assist with a return booking to ensure that we select a room that will delight you.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I Stayed here for a week during a business trip, choosing it on its location near to UCSD. Room : was spacious and well decorated and the bathrooms nice, The Wooden shutters were a very nice design aesthetic but unfortunately not fantastic for cutting out light from the Car parking.
Service : was friendly but just ok as usually a line of people waiting at the desk which was very slow to clear. I requested some firmer pillows during the stay and was a little disappointed in the oddly sized square pillows with wrong pillow cases received.
I found that over the weekend I had a fair problem with noise from other guests.
Food : I only tried Humphreys for breakfast which was slightly disappointing, I had a couple of drinks at the Sports bar and found the beer was very overpriced and in small servings and that the venue had no atmosphere compared to Rock bottom and Restaurants at the strip mall.
Location: This hotel is ideally situated if you are to be based at UCSD but not much else, Other than the strip mall next door and some local shops there isn't much about and it is time consuming to get anywhere on public transport.

Room Tip: Ask for a Garden veiw upgrade at the desk, I should have.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Nick R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that we didn't wow you on this stay and I will certainly pass along your comments to the various departments. I hope that we may able to see you on a future visit when you need to be at UCSD. I would be happy to personally assist with a reservation so that we can ensure your return visit is fantastic!

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!