“Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 hotels in La Jolla
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
“Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The highlight of my stay at the Sheraton was the friendly staff. From the desk clerks, to the restaurant staff, all of the people were a pleasure to interact with. That being said, there are a couple of things keeping me from scoring hiring.

Being able hear my neighbors and their late night activities through the wall was less than desirable, I was thankful for my earplugs and white noise app. Additionally, the bathroom was a bit cramped and not ideal.

Great food at the restaurant, for breakfast and dinner, was another nice touch that left me moving this up to a 4 rating.

Room Tip: Choosing a room at an end of one of the buildings might compensate for the thin walls and passionate...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel just this last weekend because we needed a hotel close to Torrey Pines for an event. I would give a 3.5 rating if possible. All in all, it is a nice property, well maintained, the staff was very friendly, and the layout of the room was nice, and the location was convenient.

We couldn't give a 4 rating for a few reasons:

1. Parking costs $10 (Yes, you have to pay to park on top of everything else).
2. We could hear our neighbors through the walls, (specifically the flushing of toilets) very clearly.
3. The bed had a very hard mattress.
4. Unsure if there is security at the hotel at night, as there were loud, drunk men at the pool at 3:30 AM that woke us up (Our room had a window facing the pool).
5. The property was kind of confusing to find your way around.
6. You still get one of the standard air conditioner/heater by the window, but there is a thermostat to control it that isn't easy to use.
7. The TV was great, but the remote control didn't work with the TV very well.
8. The bathroom door swings into the tiny bathroom making the space very awkward if you have the door open.

I would recommend this hotel if you needed to be close to the college, etc. and most things were great. I have NEVER had to pay for parking at a hotel as a seperate cost, not even when I've stayed on the beach, so that was very disappointing to me. All in all, it's a well kept property.

Room Tip: Be prepared for loud people at the pool at all hours if you get a room with a window facing the pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for a week and two of my co-workers had rooms as well. We all had a nice stay. The grounds are well maintaned, the gym had the latest equipment and was roomy, the restaurant served a wide variety of good tasting food for breakfast for around $12, and the location was close to the highway and convenient for work purposes.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the parking lot are quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Suwanee, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

(I am a multi-year Starwood platinum member, so keep in mind I typically go out of my way to find a Starwood property). This place feels dated, the location is average at best, and the staff seem overwhelmed with basic requests. The parking is a pain, the common areas outside the rooms remind me of a holiday inn and the room are average. Be careful with the parking as at least with me the front desk directed me to a general area, but I had no idea where my room was located. Generally services seem labored and appear to be on "California" time. This is clearly one of my worst Starwood experiences in recent years.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello Andrew H,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments about your recent stay. As an SPG member, we are very happy you chose to stay with us and I do apologize that your stay was not completely enjoyable for you. We do like our location as we have close proximity to UCSD and the 5 Freeway with easy access to the San Diego attractions, but I certainly understand that our location and property may not be for everyone. I would appreciate any additional information you can provide me in respect to our staff not being able to handle general requests as we should always be providing a high level of service, and if we have areas that need improvement I would like to be able to present these to the appropriate department heads for their attention. I'm sure you may have noticed some rennovations going on here during your stay and I am happy to report that our Executive Wing should be fully updated by the end of the year. I would also like to offer my personal assistance should you be looking to stay in La Jolla again so that I can help ensure that your guest room and return visit are fantastic.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager
kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times with a generally positive experience up until my last stay. The location of the hotel is close to I-5 but not too close that you hear freeway noise. Rooms are nicely appointed and pool and grounds are well maintained. In house restaurant is decent although service was a bit slow but I wasn't in a hurry. My big disappointment with this hotel was with hotel parking and security. You have to pay a nightly parking fee which most hotels in SD area charge. But what does that fee really get you? Well at this hotel definitely not security or a parking lot that is at least monitored by security staff. I had the unfortunate experience of having my drivers side car window broken into during my overnight stay. My car was 1 of 2 cars broken into that night. When I asked the front desk manager about their policy I got little information and a promise that someone would get back to me. Never happened. When I spoke to the security guard on duty he simply said they didn't see any suspicious activity but interestingly there are no security cameras anywhere in the parking lot??? I think even Motel 6 has video cameras. Note to self...park at your own risk at this place and if your car is broken into, the only help you will get from hotel staff is the SD police phone number.

• Stayed April 2012
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello PechiHo,

I do apologize that now, more than 6 months after your departure, that you do not feel that you have recieved adequate support from the hotel in regards to the break-in that occured in our open-air parking lot. We do have overnight security that make rounds throughout the property and unfortunately may not be able to see everything at all times. I do apologize that this happened to you and am sorry that you did not have the follow up conversation that you were waiting for. It is true that the first step is to contact the police to file a police report so that you can submit a claim to your insurance. The hotel is not liable for damages or theft that occur in the parking lot, which we do indicate with multiple signs throughout the premises. I would be happy to take a look at your file if you would like to contact me directly and we can certainly speak about this together. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager
kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We originally had a room reserved by the water in Pacific Beach, but when we checked in, the place was really ghetto. So, I shopped around and found this hotel to be only like $10-20 more/night than the ghetto place that we were staying at. The beds were really comfortable and the staff was very friendly. We didn't get a chance to check out the pool and hot tub, but they looked very inviting outside. The bar at the hotel had karaoke on night with a lot of good singers that participated. It was a lot of fun and a really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Seaside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the first time we stayed at the Sheraton LaJolla. We arrived at 9 am, but even though check in time was a 3 pm, Linda promised she would call us as soon as a room became available. Sure enough, at Noon, I received a call on my cell from Linda saying our room was ready.

We will definitely come again. The restaurant, Humphreys, was surprising excellent for breakdfast, lunch, AND dinner. The bed was exquisitely comfortable. I don't know what they use for mattresses, but I must say I wish I had one of their beds in my house!! The swimming pool was great! Though Saturday night, the hot tub was not hot enough. I think that was due to about three couples were sharing the tub. On Sunday, we tried the hot tub and it was perfect. One more thing, I liked the hotel because it wasn't a highrise and was very inconspicous. The building is nestled between the palm tries and other landscaping. You can't see it from the street until you finally drive up to hotel lobby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!