“A real Jewel in La Jolla” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
djeddied777
“A real Jewel in La Jolla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton for her birthday. I read a lot of positive reviews but did not expect such a great experience. Upon arrival we were greeted with a smile and were offered a complimentary room upgrade and 50% off dinner at Humphrey's Grill (the diner was great -the discount was up to four people) While in our room, Laura at the front desk sent us a chocolate cake to our room with a card signed by many of the employees wishing my wife a "Happy Birthday". We previously stayed in San Diego at The Omni and whole heartedly enjoyed the experience at the Sheraton much better. The rooms are comfortable and are tastefully renovated. The in-room Fridge,microwave and Starbucks coffee brewer are a plus. I look forward to staying at the Sheraton again.

• Liked — The great service.
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

We stayed at the Sheraton La Jolla in Dec 2007 for 3 nights.

The staff was nice, and we were given complimentary fresh baked cookies when we checked in. The room included a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker, and the bed was very comfortable. This hotel is also dog friendly.

• Liked — location was nearby shopping complex/restaurants
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Sussex, Great Britain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

Having just left the excellent Sheraton downtown for a more convieniently placed hotel we had high expectations for the Sheraton La Jolla. We arrived in the evening, check in was perfunctory and not the most friendly I've experienced. Assigned room 412 in B-block. The hotel is a 2 story motel style affair, with plenty of parking right by the room blocks.

The room was of an adequate size with the standard bed and fixtures/fittings. The problem was the smell! The corridor smelled funny but the waft as we opened the door was overpowering. The room also overlooked the car park, not a big deal as it's not a drag strip, with the (noisy) airconditioning on, it was hard to hear anything outside anyway. Also, the bathroom door had a notch cut into it so it could swing past the toilet. As it was late we decided to stick it out and change rooms in the morning.

After looking at a two further rooms in the morning (one in the smelly B-Block), we were upgraded to a courtyard view in C Block which was much more pleasant. The only difference was the view, I don't know what the price differential was, so I can't comment on whether it would be worth it. It had a different more modern and quieter aircon unit, and the bathroom door didn't have a notch cut into it (yes, the bathrooms really are quite small!).

Unfortunately the room changing games kinda soured us on the place for the first few days of the visit, although the front desk girl was most pleasant and accommodating. Over time we came to like the room and hotel generally, it is convieniently located with free parking, the rooms are comfortable and well furnished (although not well lit), the fitness centre is decent and the centre courtyard and pool area is beautiful.

However, the business centre charges approx $1 a min for use of a sole computer terminal, there's the chance of ending up in the B block, and the airconditioners are hard get to work to your liking (instructions in the guest book please!!). Be aware if you're staying over Christmas the hotel restaurant closes, however, it's not a big issue as TGI Fridays on the adjacent mall was open.

Although we liked it enough in the end, there are better hotels in the San Diego area for the same money so we probably won't use it again. If you're a Starwood fan, then try to get a courtyard room away from B-block and all should be well.

• Liked — Excellent location.
  • Disliked — Rooms not consistent.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Love this hotel! We cannot say enough wonderful things about the convenient location, comfortable rooms, pleasant staff, good food and lovely grounds. Been there twice as have family in area and plan on going back. Worth the money.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

We enjoyed our pleasant stay at the Sheraton in La Jolla. Our room was very comfortable with a King-sized bed and a sofa. We stayed 5 nights at this hotel during the christmas season. Good location near I-5, the University Towne Center mall, downtown La Jolla, etc. Nice touches throughout our room such as a flat screen tv, dvd player, starbucks coffee, cookie upon check-in, in-room microwave & fridge, complimentary wi-fi*.

The good points:
- Nice mini-bar with fridge, microwave, and starbucks coffee
- Nice pool, hot-tub, and gym
- Maid service was exceptional
- Friendly staff
- Quiet, and easy to get to

Things that could be improved:
- Bathroom was tiny (I didn't think they could make bathrooms so compact!)
- Heater very noisy and difficult to keep at a steady temperature
- Toilet noisy so we always had to jiggle it

Looks like this Sheraton is undergoing some renovations in the other wings. Overall, this was a great hotel and we would definitely stay here again.

* Please note that on January 1, 2008, the hotel will be charging for wi-fi internet use AND for parking. boooo!

Stayed December 2007
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

i'm a SPG member but found a better price at hotels.com for about $100 a night for friday and saturday. nice hotel for the price-clean and modern rooms, free/plentiful parking and nice grounds. close to the freeway, across the street from UCSD and steps away from stores/shops. Bathroom is small--if you stand in the middle of it you can touch the door, sink, shower and toilet without stretching--but not really a big deal unless you plan on having more than one person use the bathroom at the same time. Setup is separate buildings with separate entrances--and parking is all around--so you can park right next to your room.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

This hotel is the most convenient place to stay in San Diego. All my reviews are based on business travel, so my comments lean toward those needs.

This is a terrible business hotel.

It doesn't have a convenient business center. (I dare you to try to find it in the jungle of bungalows.) The Executive Lounge food is boring, but if you're okay with cereal, bagel, coffee, and juice, then it's adequate. The gym is not great, kinda limited in size and choices. The pool area is nice, if you have time to swim (I never do). You have to park your own car, and sometimes far from your room. No one is really there to help you with luggage, so if your back hurts...stay somewhere else.

This hotel used to be a Radisson, and more family-oriented. It's designed to be a self-service hotel, and not a business-centric place. So all is forgiven, because if I ever want to drag my family to San Diego for a visit...this is the perfect hotel for us.

I can overlook the fact that I can hear the freeway if I'm not on the garden side. (Try to remember to ask for a garden side...it's really important if you're a light sleeper.) Try not to stay on the first floor, if security concerns you. (It does concern me...being a lone female traveler.)

I love the mini kitchen area...I like the fact that I can spread out all my take out from Whole Foods (next door), and microwave food until my heart is content. I like my refrigerator, which is empty and not filled with over-priced mini-bar OJ. Having Whole Foods next door is one out of two reasons why I stay here. The second is FEDEX Kinko's is also next door. I have lost count of how many times I've had to make a midnight run to Kinko's to print out customer handouts (in color), or email the nice guy who works the horrible 9pm-9am shift my files to print, collate, and staple into nice little packages for my next morning's presentations. He has saved my butt at least once or twice.

So, I guess you figured it. I don't stay here because I love this hotel, because I don't. I hate looking for "close" parking near my bungalow and schlepping my stuff around (sometimes in the rain). I don't like the food there, or the gym.

If you stay here...TWO things to watch out for.

1. Ask for a renovated room. (If you don't you will get someting dark, old, and an old air conditioning unit that will keep you up all night.)

2. Ask for a room that faces the garden. Sure, it can be noisy from laughing kids. (But it's sorta sweet to hear. It quiets down by sunset.) Otherwise, you might end up facing the freeway side.

I can't really give it a good or bad review. It meets my minimal needs. If it weren't near Whole Foods AND Fedex Kinko's, I wouldn't stay here unless I had my kids with me.

The staff is pretty nice...they try hard. I gotta give them that! The rates are pretty good too.

• Liked — Location, microwave, fridge
  • Disliked — Strange layout...not business oriented enough for my travel needs.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!