“Nice hotel, central location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice hotel, central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton LaJolla for business. It is one of the better Sheratons I've stayed in, and the rooms appear to have been recently refurbished. The weather was a little cool when I was there, but my room overlooked the pool and the pool area seemed quite nice. My only objection is that the property is spread out around several different buildings; not connected to the main/lobby area. Otherwise it was a perfectly nice hotel in a great location, convenient to businesses and stores.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Alhambra, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I posted this on yelp as well: I was very clear with the receptionists about NOT parking in the parking lot overnight for a $10 fee. I received my bill this morning and noticed the charge, asked about it and was told it wasn't actually a charge. But when I received my bill via email early this evening there was the charge again, and a $3.99 tv fee! I've now called three times to have both fees removed but was told I'd signed something agreeing to the parking lot fee. I just can't believe it! When did I do that? I recall that the initial receptionist in checking in seemed to be in a hurry, was somewhat rude and inattentive. I'm now asking for a copy of whatever it was I signed. If I did sign it was done without my knowledge as I parked on the street overnight to avoid the fee, just as I said I was going to do. I find the whole experience silly, the water fee, the tv fee, it all just seems to be a con job. On the positive side of things, the room was quiet. At this point I'm not sure if I'd ever stay here again.
*******
After discussing this with the supervisor tonight over the phone it seems I signed something when I first checked in that stated I had agreed to the parking lot fee. I was told at the time that if I didn't want the fee charged I could tell a night receptionist that I'd be parking on the street and thus my charge would be taken away. When I got in from my gig at one in the morning I completely forgot that I was supposed to do this, and parked on the street anyway without checking in. It's just a procedure that is completely unfamiliar to me. She has refunded my water tab and the tv fee and will speak to her general manager about the parking fee. Such a lot of work for $10.... I'm not going to let it mar my otherwise enjoyable night and day in La Jolla.

I just got my "final" bill and nothing was changed although I was promised that the water would be free and the tv fee would be taken off. Alas, no.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Hello blackballplayer,

I do appreciate you taking the time to send your comments and I would be happy to assist with taking care of any errored charges on your room folio. Would you please contact me at kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com so I may get some additional information to pull up your reservation with us? As a member of the management team, please know that we do not ignore requests to assist our guests and certainly do not promise to do things that we actually will not do. I will look forward to hearing from you and making this right.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I enjoyed my stay here and will definitely come back!

• Stayed November 2011
Kenmore, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I've never booked the wrong date online before - I'm almost OCD about making sure i get it right. But for some reason i showed up and they insisted i had the wrong date (that my reservation was for the week prior). Not only did i have to pay for the extra night, but they didn't want to refund the night i didn't stay there because i booked it online.

What get's me is that no one called me, emailed me, or even sent me a receipt for the previous night i had supposedly booked previously. I'm also certain they weren't booked full that previous night, so it's not like they "lost" anything.

I'd rather continue booking through my corporate travel agency, at least they're willing to make sure i'm taken care of.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Hello greff1927,

This is a quick note to offer my assistance in looking into your reservation. I would be happy to locate the reservation and send you any documentation that you would require. I apologize for any confusion at the time of booking and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly and see if there is something I can do to assist. I have sent you a private message as well with my contact information and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager
beachbeauty69
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We really thought the Sheraton would be at least a 3 - 4 star Resort. It was not. The repairs and maintenance were not done at all. The door to the tiny bathroom would hardly open far enough to sit on the toilet. Tiles in the floor were poorly set and the tub must be 30 years old.
Probably the worst Sheraton I have ever stayed in. We are a Starwood member and are very disappointed in the quality of this resort.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Property was nice enough, but a bit strange of a configuration. The hotel consists of multiple 2 story buildings separate from the lobby (check-in), restaurant/lounge area. Think dorm buildings.
The buildings surround the pool area and grounds which are very nice.

The rooms are updated and comfortable, although my second room had some pealing wallpaper. The problem is the HVAC units are very loud. I had to wake up at 3AM to shut it off. I say "units" (plural) since I actually moved from my first room (exterior-freeway side) to second room (interior-poolside facing) due to freeway noise. Regardless, the HVAC unit kept waking me up at turn on and shutt-off.

Room Tip: If staying at hotel due to location or cost go with interior room and avoid freeway-side.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Although the hotel looks a little but run down on the outside, the rooms are big and nice. I enjoy staying in the hotel when i am in the area as the locationis also very convenient.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!