“Great old hotel, wonderful, friendly staff, delicious food in restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Valencia Hotel

You added La Valencia Hotel to your Saves list
La Valencia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1132 Prospect St., La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92037   |
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winter Park, Florida
“Great old hotel, wonderful, friendly staff, delicious food in restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

My wife and I loved our recent stay there. Super staff bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable. Only negatives are rooms tend to be small, and the decor in those rooms not yet redone and lobby, is long in tooth!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

We recently stayed for one short night. Loved the beautiful exterior, the lobby, helpful valets, gorgeous pool, palm-papered hallways, and the Whaling Bar. We had an amazing bartender!

Our room left a little to be desired-there was a noisy mini fridge just set on the floor, all of the tv and entertainment cords were plugged into an extension cord on the floor- not hidden at all! Also, the room looked directly out onto the lawn where there was a wedding taking place (zero privacy). the bathroom was tiny and not properly cleaned, though it WAS well-appointed. We didn't have tome to ask for a different room as we were racing out to an event. I slept like a baby that night; the bed and sheets were fantastic. If we return, I will make sure we have a better-situated room-without a mess of electrical cords piled on my floor!

Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband & I went out there for a wedding and had a great stay. The hotel was old, but beautiful, and 90% of the staff was extra-friendly and helpful! The food & drinks were pricey, but most hotels are. The housekeeping did an exceptional job, and have evening turn-down service including lights dimmed, robes laid out, bedside chocolates, and soft jazz music--very impressed!

We would definitely stay there again. The bill just ended up being more than I thought it would. And the elevator is old fashioned (with an operator!) and slow so took the stairs mostly, and the a/c in our room made it comfy but not very cold.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

My wife and I like to find older restored hotels, so we chose La Valencia for our La Jolla trip. It was a wonderful choice, beautiful and charming with exceptional service. The location could not be more perfect! The rooms were clean and the staff was attentive to detail. It was our anniversary and they took excellent care of us.
We ate in every restaurant, and found excellent service and great food. Do eat in the Sky Room if you can, the view of the ocean and the food are outstanding. Many of the restaurant guests we spoke with were locals, some were employees at other hotels. That says a lot! When you book a hotel that is older, you do not get huge bedrooms or bathrooms. You do get charm, beauty and in this case location that a new building could never duplicate.

Martinsburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

On our 12 day adventure in Southern California, 'La Valencia' was definitely the highlight !
Unfortunately, we were just passing through the area, and only stayed one night, but we definitely made the most of our stay! After parking with the 'oh-so-helpful' valet staff, and checkiing in with the very personable front desk personnel, I spoke with the concierge, Brie, concerning the details of our plans for snorkeling, a picnic lunch, and a visit to the Birch Aquarium. She was very pleasant and helpful ! I feel that she went the extra mile to ensure our needs were met ! THANK YOU BRIE ! After 'taking in' the area, we experienced dining in the Mediterranean Room, which was quiet and cozy next to the fireplace, but not so quiet that we could not join in on a 'Happy Birthday' song for the next table! I thought that was very nice, since we had recently been told on my daughter's 7th birthday (at a local restaurant in our area) that singing 'Happy Birthday' was no longer allowed because people complained ?! I would love to come back for all of our celebrations! Our server, Corbin, was so nice yet very professional. He should definitely be working in the Sky room! The next day was fabulous! The location for snorkeling in La Jolla Cove was perfect! Room service for breakfast was delivered before promised and delicious! (The fresh flowers were a nice touch!) We lounged by the pool and jacuzzi while 'soaking in' the ocean views! Then we headed out to visit Seal Rock and explore the tide pools! "I never want to leave" I told my oldest daughter and added that she should get married at La Valencia in La Jolla, because of the friendly and helpful staff, AND the breathtaking views, but mostly because I want a reason to come back again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Truro, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Whilst the location of this hotel is fantastic with great views of the ocean, our two rooms were dark, cramped and smelly.

In room amenities were poor, and the rooms had ancient noisy air conditioning units that were not up to scratch. The in room fridges were noisy beer coolers, which as another review stated are best switched off.

There may be some nicer rooms here but we didn't stay to find out, instead we checked out 3 nights early.

The hotel staff were generally very good however.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I dreamed about spending a night there for years and my dream came true few days ago. It was an incredible experience, and the management of this hotel should start a school to teach (other) hotel employees about delivering the most incredible level of service!!! Was greated on my arrival by Pierre (mille mercis pour un séjour fantastique!!!) who told me that I was getting a "superb" upgrade. Was lucky enough to stay in one of the "villas" with direct view of the La Jolla cove. I received the "royal treatment" and almost every employee (Michele, Juan Carlos, thank you) went far and beyond to make sure I felt welcomed and enjoyed every minute of my (too short) stay. This marvelous hotel is the most beautiful one in La Jolla and most likely of the entire country; so classically gorgeous. It was a "platinum " experience for me. While the service was impeccable everywhere in the hotel, it was disappointing in the "Mediterranean room" at breakfast time. Another benefit is the central location; you can walk to exellent bars and restaurants from the hotel. I went back few days later for a bite and drink on the terrace and was welcomed as an estimated friend. I will be eternally grateful for this wonderful experience. Thank you again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!