“La Valencia what a Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5-10-15 Special
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Foster City, California
“La Valencia what a Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of attending a Company sponsored event at the La Valencia Hotel.
My company was very happy with the outstanding customer service, starting with the events coordinator Leo down to the valet boys out front. Every single staff member was ready and willing to be of service to us.
The Catering crew delivered the daily meals on time and the presentation was perfect.
I did not get one complaint from our group except that we didn’t have enough free ti me to enjoy the Beautiful, Peaceful pool area. The views were amazing and I couldn’t have asked for a better location.

Thank you everyone at the La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Treasure Hunter!
On behalf of our catering and banquet team; we THANK YOU! We are pleased to know that the charm, enchantment and location of La V was a hit for you and your group – the setting makes for great energy. We hope to have everyone back again each year.
Best regards,
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on reviews from this site. I was NOT disappointed. It looks a little cheesy from the street but once inside its very quaint. Built in the 30's I believe and the floors are quirky. But it's kind of cool actually. Food was excellent and the server georgei was very knowledgeable on wine pairings, etc. food was so beautiful that you will want to take pictures.

We stayed on a ocean view villa and it was huge. Biggest room I have ever seen. Clean as can be always.

Room service was excellent and the fastest I have ever experienced.

Everyone was very helpful with big smiles. I would highly recommend this place. It makes the Ritz Carlton look like rank amateurs.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Philly Guest,
The main La V complex was built in 1926 although our west wing rooms and suites building is circa 1909 and villas opened in 2000 – we have something for everyone. I am so happy your stay was great and thank you for recognizing our restaurant staff and your room service experience. Dining in the privacy of our Villas is a perfect indulgence.
Thanks again!
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a delight! Booked this hotel because of a wedding we went to in La Jolla. Traditional, old world feel but with today luxury. The room was large with a fireplace, large slider that opens to a balcony overlooking grass area and ocean. TIP. You can park behind the hotel and save valet parking. (No parking fee for evening )

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking ocean are worth it. We stayed on area that rooms are called villas. Amazing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Winding Road –
Our 16 private villas are indeed a great escape and our very own hotel within the hotel – I am delighted that enjoyed the room during you La Jolla wedding stay. This past week we just enhanced all our villas with beautiful new (and plush) patio and terrace furniture so you can take more advantage of their ocean front setting; come back soon!
Cheers,
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This historic hotel is absolutely lovely in every way. The lobby, restaurant, & hallway Spanish decor was beautiful as was the hotel exterior, landscaping, and pool area. The room was modern & comfortable. The ocean views are breathtaking. The hotel is impeccably maintained. It is conveniently located near the beach, great shopping, galleries, and other restaurants. The hotel restaurant is quite good and exceeded our expectations. The food can be served in several lovely locations: a formal dining room, a lovely bar/lounge area, an outdoor deck overlooking the pool with ocean views, and poolside.

The front courtyard was under renovation when we arrived and we were concerned about the construction noise, but thankfully we could not hear it from our room, pool, or hotel restaurants. Once the courtyard is finished, I am sure it will be another beautiful spot to enjoy.

The staff was so helpful & courteous and they went out of their way to make us comfortable.

La Valencia is now one of our favorite hotels and we HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Paradise Found –
Many thanks for your lovely review and wonderful comment on La V. Our staff recognizes the importance of delivering genuine courteous service and I am happy to know that the team delivered. Thanks for noting that our renovation work did not impact your stay. We carefully close any rooms that might be affected surrounding our work and of course require that work time is limited and never takes place on weekends. The new entry will be completed in June and will include an arbor over the front courtyard. We hope you return again soon to enjoy La V and our exciting new enhancements.
Ciao!
Mark Dibella
tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed here a few days prior to moving to San Diego for a conference. We had stayed here 18 years ago when we were visiting San Diego and I was a little worried it might not be as nice as I remembered but no problem, it was as nice if not better. I believe all the rooms have been refreshed and yes they are still doing a little construction on the entrance but I never heard it unless I was leaving the hotel. The staff are all great! Valets are really helpful with directions and give you a water bottle when leaving to go out for the day! Never had that offered each time before at other places. Only ate at the restaurant for breakfast and it was very good so I imagine the other meals are as well. The hotel just has an elegant "old world" feel to it. Lounge area was large with live music there the nights we were there so not sure if this is all the time or not. The bathrooms are a little small but that is because the time frame the hotel was originally built I am sure but I can overlook that as really how big of a bathroom do you need? The room was a nice size with a sitting area and ours looked out to the ocean. Love the many levels of the hotel as it is built into the hillside. Pool area lovely, lounge chairs so comfortable and there is a hot tub also. Big closets! Still love this hotel! Great location for walking around La Jolla. Also in the morning if you want to just grab a cup of coffee and go walk around they have coffee set up in the lounge area. Very nice. The waiters in the dining areas were great too! Would definitely choose this hotel again if I am back in La Jolla!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tennessee Traveler-
La V is honored to received your exceptional comments; thank you. With your 60+ reviews your hotel experience and standards are very high and I am delighted that our property and our team delivered. I am especially pleased that your return after 18 years found La V to still be “fabulous” – that is very important to us as we navigate our current renaissance. The hotel did recently complete guest room renovations and we’re now refreshing our arrival entry. La V will forever be a work of art in progress and we indeed to continue to enhance this graceful and enchanting property. I m especially grateful to see your generous comments on our staff – they are and always will be the main ingredient to our charm. Please don’t wait another 18 years to return again.
Warm regards,
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Not only are the grounds wonderful, but the views are epic. Go up to the Sky Room Bar, there is a small balcony and it is a great place to watch the sunset.It's centrally located with galleries and other great restaurants in both directions on Prospect. It's a short walk to one of the best beaches in the world.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Airbrush –
I love the term “epic” and appreciate your inclusive of La V in this vocabulary for our stunning location and amazing views; almost un-changed for decades. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and our central location in the Village of La Jolla. Come back soon – we promise 365 amazing sunsets a year.
Cheers,
LONDON, ENGLAND
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am sorry to say that this, our third trip to La Valencia, was disappointing in several ways. Firstly, the bar and patio restaurant were both closed for renovations. Fine, it has to happen sometime, but there was no attempt to compensate by for example using the large lounge for bar service later. Much of the evening, apart from the main restaurant there was nowhere else to eat or drink. We went out for every meal.
Much more disappointing was our room. We had reserved Ocean View as before, but this time we were relegated to the Old Cabrillo annexe. I read in the hotel history that this building was a remarkable local construction when erected in 1908. That may be, but in 2013 it is now a rather dilapidated building. There were many small features which need maintenance and care. For example all the window mechanisms were rusted shut and we had to fight to open a window. There is no security to the outside world and anyone could walk into this building.
Our room smelled dusty, musty and disused. Much worse was the fact that water was dripping through the ceiling. It was clearly an air conditioning fault, which we reported to the front desk. It was never fixed. Indeed a considerable quantity of water must have soaked into our floor and the rest of the building below.
Even worse was that my valuable guitar was placed under the leak by the bellman. By the time I noticed the water dripping the case was saturated. Fortunately the instrument itself was not damaged. When I reported all this to the management, I expected some recompense, maybe another room, financial reimbursement, repairs done, an apology… None of this happened and despite the Clerk at the front desk promising that the General Manager would be contacting us, he never did. When we checked out I reminded her again. She said he would email me. I waited two weeks before writing this review. No email arrived.
So, in the past I have had good experiences, this time it was one of the worst on our trip and nobody at the hotel seemed to care. Even without the faults the accommodation we were given doesn’t justify the cost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear 3rd Time La V Guest,
My team and I are at a loss since reading your post – we have diligently reviewed our guest log and spoken with all our PBX, bell and valet staff and cannot find any records of a reported incident involving a leak and guitar. If we had I can assure you that our staff is empowered o take action and responsibility to make any situation right. If our staff missed this communication and any expected follow-up I humbly apologize – we care a great deal about our guests’ experiences and satisfaction. We did indeed have a water leak several weeks ago (not air conditioning) that affected rooms 303 and 24 located in our historic West Wing which is the Cabrillo Hotel annex and immediately communicated and partnered with both guests one of which opted to move rooms. We have closed our Prospect street bar which is under renovations for the return of Café La Rue – during this time we did greatly expand our ocean view La Sala lounge with a large bar and have added live entertainment 7 days a week. The adjoining ocean view patio and terrace remains open. I hope La V can regain your loyalty and business – please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly to keep this opportunity open and I promise you a signature stay.
Managing Director

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!