“What a treat!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
maine
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had never stayed at La Valencia before, and to be honest, had been put off by some of the reviews that said it needed upgrades. On previous trips, we'd stayed at the Grande Colonial, but it was fully booked this time. I'd heard that there'd been a recent refurbishment of La Valencia and thought I'd give it a try, because I always enjoy visiting historic hotels.

There was some construction going on to renovate the entrance and restaurant, so when I arrived I was a bit worried. But once I stepped into the lobby and saw the gorgeous cocktail lounge with its ocean view, and was greeted with such warmth at the front desk, I knew this was going to be a nice stay. Then, to top it off ... they upgraded me to an ocean-view suite in the newly renovated wing that was once the Cabrillo Hotel.

That suite: what a splendid view! Spacious. Comfortable. A bathroom with both a shower and a bath/jacuzzi. (I had Room 204.)

I truly felt this was a luxury experience. I know others have complained that the regular rooms were small, so if you can afford it, I highly recommend upgrading to one of the oceanview suites.

Valets were quick and helpful with the car. In the cocktail lounge, I enjoyed a martini and oysters, surrounded by the glory of old La Jolla. I dined in the restaurant for breakfast -- and surprise surprise, they served cappuccino that could rival cafes in Italy (and I admit it, I'm a coffee snob.)

This hotel completely exceeded my expectations. Would come back in a second.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Maine Guest,
We’re glad you came back; thank you! Under new ownership the La V leadership team did recognize that up-grades were indeed in store. We have already completed a renovation of all our guest rooms, suites and villas as well as our event rooms, fitness room and our business center. We’re moving on to restoration of our entry courtyard and a renovation of our Prospect Street restaurant in the footprint of the Whaling Bar; Café LaRue (circa the late 1940’s) will return to La V later this year. Still more great things in store.
Thank you for the wonderful staff and dining complements; I too love the cappuccino!
See you back again soon.
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Beautiful historic hotel with great views and several of great restaurants. The rooms were smallish, but well maintained and clean. Service was friendly and professional, and the it's located right in the center of La Jolla within walking distance of lots of shops and eats.

Really enjoyed the live music in the bar, but it can get noisy on weekend evenings.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear San Francisco Guest,
Thank you for selecting La V for a get away from the bay area. La Sala Lounge does indeed offer live music 7 days a week from 5 PM – 8 PM and happy hour from 4 PM – 6 PM – it can be livelier on weekends with many hotel wedding guests celebrating earlier “I do’s”; we love the excitement.
Our staff looks forward to your return.
Cheers,
La Quinta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We found the room to be quite well appointed,but SMALL

The staff was ok-not more
There was an issue with our reservation, and they seemed swamped at that time we were disappointed ...
Was eventually resolved

On our second day, Room was made up in late afternoon( 5.00 p.m.)

Dear La Quinta Guest,
Great things come is small packages! La V has 112 rooms with everything from 1,000 sq. ft. villas to spacious suites to our more intimate (small) traditional rooms most of which have 9 ft. ceilings and sweeping ocean views. We do have something for every expectation and budget. I am sorry that your arrival reservation was not in order but pleased that our team resolved any issues; thank you for your patience. I would have hoped your experience with our staff was more inspiring but will use your comments to ensure we try harder.
Many thanks,
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just ended a wonderful week with an old friend--this wonderfully retro hotel with one of the best locations imaginable. The view of the waves crashing in the Cove, framed with mature palms and an abundance of flowering plants, is just gorgeous. You never tire of it. The hotel is a grand dame with appropriate Spanish colonial architecture. Insist on a room with an ocean view -- worth the additional cost -- and enjoy drinks in La Sala to live piano music and watch the sunset view. Rooms are being refurbished. Mine had not been but was perfectly fine. Only complaint -- minor -- was the shower pressure. Excellent food and service in all venues. Nicholas was an excellent server on the terrace restaurant (which shares that priceless view) for several meals.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean view and request an upper floor -- lobby entrance is on 7th floor--try for 8th or h...
Dear Texas Traveler,
We love that your consider La V your old friend; what a marvelous complement to our comfortable and casual ambiance; thank you. All the rooms are indeed now completed but I am pleased that you were happy and that the trappings of La Sala and the Mediterranean Room are once again excellent. Your friends look forward to our friends return!
Ciao,
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staff was courteous and extremely polite. We had a corner room with amazing ocean views of the ocean. Multiple weddings were occurring so it was busy but the staff kept up and made us all feel special.

Dear Reno Guest,
I’m delighted that our staff ensured that you felt as special as our wedding guests, brides and grooms. La V offers such a wonderful ambiance that no occasion is needed to escape to our amazing setting to feel special. We’re grateful that you spent time with us and hope you return again.
Newport Beach Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed at La Valencia on my wedding night years ago. I went back in april 2013 and got a smaller room no view for a great price. I was so excited. I did not mind the very small bathroom due to the price. the bathroom looked recently renovated but I noticed a strange odor. the next morning I realized that I had been exposed to mold . I suspect that they did not remove the mold when they refurbished. I am asthmatic and spent the next 2 days recovering from the exposure.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Frustrated (that is an unusual TA user name) Guest,
I can assure you that our renovation project included addressing any required issues from age or location including mold. All our guest rooms and bathrooms have indeed been renovation – the first time in history that La V addressed a full renovation in one period.
I rarely comment so boldly to a guest however you are wrong in suspecting that La V did not do the proper steps during bathroom renovations. We stripped old stonework, lath, plaster and plumbing before beginning new renovation work. Our location along the shores and cove of La Jolla includes the sights and smells or the ocean and marine environment. Spring includes a plethora of seasonal blooms and I am appreciate that combined with location any asthmatic can be impacted; we have staff who have similar challenges.
We thank you for your comments and look forward to your return perhaps to celebrate a wedding anniversary!
Agua Dulce, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a beautiful piece of architecture, in a fabulous part of la Jolla, with the beach and park on one side, and great restaurants and shopping on the other. The property is awesome, on a hillside, but be prepared to use a lot of steps, unless you have a room close to an elevator. We stayed in a beautiful villa in the far west area of the property, just above street level. The pool is gorgeous, the grounds are taken care of, the flowers are beautiful all over the property. We arrived for a romantic weekend, and had taken advantage of a Travelzoo offer. I was contacted a few weeks before my arrival to see if I wanted to upgrade to a partial ocean view for an additional charge, which I accepted. We checked in, was given our room key, and when we entered our room, not only was there no ocean view, there were 2 queen beds, not the king we reserved. The only remedy to this was to spend an additional $500 for the villa, which we did decide to switch to. It had a great private patio, and a beautiful bedroom and bath. No fault of the hotel, there was a lot of traffic all day and into the evening, which could be loud at times. If all of the villas are located at the west of the hotel, then expect the traffic noise. We never had the opportunity to eat in the hotel. Parking was expensive at $29 a day, especially when we saw our car parked in the Citibank parking lot a block away...not very secure, although La Jolla is a pretty safe place itself. Overall, we did have a great time, our dog loved it, and the weather was amazing.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Great Guest,
Many thanks for the overall great review and compliments; I am sorry that the original reservation accommodations were not coordinated correctly upon your arrival. The Travelzoo promotion had specific room types but we should have done a better job in communication the up-grade options. Parking rates are compatible to our surrounding hotels; as a historic hotel on site parking was not built in 1926 but we are pleased to have our private lot only ½ block from the hotel which our staff maintains throughout the day.
We hope you and your four footed friend return again – call us direct so we can better coordinate your ideal accommodations.
Best regards,
Managing Director

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!