“Lovely hotel but noisy room!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay, Save & Be Merry
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely hotel but noisy room!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lovely resort and in excellent location - close to lots of shops and restaurants, as well as the beach all within walking distance. Rooms are spacious and clean and friendly staff at front desk. Sunset at hotel bar is a must. The view was magnificent! Unfortunately, the room was right next to hotel frontier and was on a low floor so the band music was clear and it was hard to say that it's a relaxing place to wind down after a whole day. So tips is to book a room away from the front restaurant and the hotel is otherwise perfect!

• Stayed August 2012
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Hong Kong Guest –

La V is thrilled to know that our western destination was a great retreat from the east! I agree, sunset from La Sala is incredible and we pair this amazing view with nightly lounge entertainment from 5 – 7 PM. The band you mention sounds like a special event, we apologize for the interruption but I am happy that it did not deter you from a great stay.

See you soon,

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were lucky enough to be able to stay at this charming hotel! If your visiting La Jolla this is by far the Best hotel to stay at.As you arrive the charm begins! Priscilla helped my family and I at the front desk. She was so kind and caring considering there was 10 of us checking in for my brothers wedding. Attention to details was taking when I first spoke with Tiffany and William on the phone of what we needed and Priscilla just followed thru with all our request when we arrived.I can't say enough good things about the professional service I received. I believe E.J helped us with our bags. He was so informative about the hotel and the town.Room and bathroom were immaculate, a little small but that wouldn't stop me from coming back. That was the only negative and can be changed with an upgraded room which they do have. The wedding at La Valencia was by far the best most Romantic wedding I have ever attended and the setting will take your breath away!I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Wedding Guest,

You made my day with so many wonderful compliments on our staff; thank you. Our team is the most important part of our boutique experience. The incredible ocean views, well appointed rooms and exceptional cuisine are the frosting on the cake but we are pleased that you enjoyed it all and I agree that weddings at La V are indeed ripe with romance and laced with magic!

Many thanks and we hope to see you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

When we first arrived, valet parking was happy to serve us with readiness and water!!! They were helpful to accommodate our large party due to a wedding. Us teens got a huge suite all to ourselves while the adults got the normal rooms! Room service was as pricey as you would expect, but the food made it worth the price! Our view of the town and ocean was incredible! House keeping was a bit slow on getting us extra pillows and towels, and BEWARE there is only one elevator throughout the whole hotel so you may need to take the stairs if you are in a hurry! I would definitely come back and stay in this charming town again!

• Stayed March 2013
Cheers from La V –

And thank you for the great comments on your recent stay (lucky you for ending up in one of our suites). I am happy to know our staff was service ready; we’ll work on housekeeping requests. Yes the main building has one elevator as product of that circa 1928 tower but it was recently renovated and in top shape plus La Jolla is for relaxing . . . we don’t want you to rush!

See you soon,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed at La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla last weekend and it was the most charming and vintage place I have stayed in Southern California. We drove from Los Angeles to La Jolla to spend a weekend of relaxation and it was well worth it. The weather was a little chilly last weekend but we enjoyed every bit of the hotel. In terms of the hotel service, it's probably some of the best in SoCal and if it wasn't for the construction noise on our floor it surely deserves a 5-Star. We really enjoyed walking through La Jolla beaches and coves, which is basically in the backyard of La Valencia. Beautiful views from our corner room views overlooking the ocean and pool area. If you check-in the hotel ask if an ocean/corner view is available, it's just stunnning views. The best part of the hotel was actually the bed and linen! Some of the best I've experienced. Also on Sunday we went to the Sunday Champagne Brunch, which I have to be honest $50 per person was expensive but it was dining al fresco and good quality unlimited mimosas, so if you drink maybe it's not bad. It's not a buffet though, which I was told by the check in agent it was but it's a two course meal, bottomless mimosas and a selection of pastries which were unlimited I think. But you go there for the views and enjoy the mimosas, so it was money well spent. Our server (Stephen?) was excellent, always made sure we were happy with their service. I would suggest you book in advance because when we got there it was pretty busy but we had very attentive service. The check-in was a breeze but it's not until 4PM which I thought it was very late, specially since we where there for two days, but they checked in our luggage and this was okay with us--but most luxury properties that we've stayed at check-in is between 1-3pm. We will certainly be coming back to La Valencia Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hello LA Guest,
And thank you for sharing your great comments on LaV – I am thrilled that your partner and you enjoyed your stay and it certainly looks like you took advantage of the best of La Valencia and La Jolla. I apologize for the misinformation on Sunday brunch (yes plated and not buffet) but I am happy that you enjoyed the end result of great of al fresco dining, great food and endless mimosas.
Check in time is indeed 4 PM – we wish it could be earlier but the hotel is generally sold out so we can’t check guest in until our current happy guests check-out!
We’ll look forward to your return and promise warmer weather as the season unfolds.
Cheers,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Following 3 weeks travel in Australia, I had a 3-4 day business trip to San Diego and needed a hotel, and location, that would appeal to my wife, a 4-year old and my business partner. La Jolla allowed minimum (if any) driving, with plenty of shopping and restaurants. Jetsetter.com was spot on with La Valencia as a classic style, old-world hotel. There was no lack of charm.

I read the previous reviews regarding renovations and have to say this did not impact our stay at all. Any inconvenience, whatsoever, was made up by a stellar staff. And working in the hospitality business myself, it is hard to find a facility where every staff member carries their weight.

From Trisha to Stephanie in reservations; Wendy, David, Elvia and Allyssa in Guest Services (Allyssa who handled my prima-donna business partner with all the painful love he needs, deserves a special thanks); Greg, Bob, Scott and Alberto at vallet/the door and finally Scotty in the restaurant, well done.

We look forward to a return trip.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Aussie Guest,
You made my day; thank you. Your comments on our remarkable staff are the best compliment we would ever hoe for and I am pleased to see your mention of so many of our great staff. We are pleased that you made the most of your recent business trip and love that you took advantage of our location in the Village to minimize driving since almost everything is steps away.
We look forward to your return soon.
Best regards,
JudySB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

An exceptional hotel experience for anyone looking for a bit of vintage California charm and character. The customer service from the valet to the waiters and front desk is exceptional.
It is centrally located in the heart of downtown La Jolla and dozes of great shops are right outside the door as are the streets leading to the beach a mere 1 block away.
Nostalgia and photos from the 1930's cover the walls and I would highly suggest the Sunday brunch. Absolutely extraordinary!

Room Tip: The roos have been completely remodeled but are on the small side. Request an ocean-view if possible
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vintage Charmer,
I am especially delighted to see your great comments on our staff; thank you. Our location is pretty grand and the circa 1926 vintage ambiance makes for a wonderful setting – I am happy to also see that you indulged in Sunday brunch as our patios, dining room and terrace are great backdrops to Chef Paul McCabe’s enticing cuisine.
PS – our rooms are all renovated!
Cheers,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Bowled over. We're in hotels about 180/365 days a year and this would be a top pick for me. Great restaurant and La Jolla is a beautiful place to be.
Head up to Torrey Pines State Park and take a walk if you have time.
Will be back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Boston Traveler;
WOW, that’s a lot for travel and hotel stays! Thank you very much for including La V in your very extensive travel schedule – we very much appreciate your reviews, your business and your great comments. I am happy to know you will be back soon.
Best regards,
Managing Director

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!