“A Perfect Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Perfect Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I'm from La Jolla so when it came time to pick a wedding venue, It was a no-brainer. La Valencia had been a dream of mine since I've been little. I expected the beauty, I didn't expect the 5 star service we received. Every last detail was meticulously covered. The food was excellent, the view...out of this World. Every guest felt totally catered to and my groom and I didn't go one moment without someone insuring we had every thing we wanted. Shannon, the events manager is not only sweet, calm and fun to be around, she's extremely professional, organized, patient and elegant in her vision for your event. I adore her and her staff. When you grow up somewhere beautiful, it's easy to take it for granted. La Valencia and its staff made me want to come home and relive my event over and over again.
Highly, highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Wedding Guest;

A million thanks for the wonderful compliments on our hotel staff and services – we really do love throwing parties and weddings are on the top of our favorites list. Thank you for entrusting this very important day to the La V team – it is our hope that we are your anniversary get away for many years to come.

Warm regards,

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Picked from Expedia for cheapness, i was VERY pleased to be at La Valencia which is an old-style individual hotel that oozes class and pleasantness. My room was not large by US standards, but sizeable and very well equipped (nice to have coffee and tea making stuff). Comfy bed, lots ofn towels and bathrobes etc.

The propoerty slopes doen to the sea, and I had a view of the Pacific from my wondow, palm trees and etc. Excellent staff, good food in normal (iwe European) quantities was perhaps a little steep on price, but not crazy.

So, genteel but functional, polite and discrete... and in a verey nice area indeed, lots of boutiquey atrisan shops made for a pleasant couple of hours before heading (again) back to the airport. Thoroughly recommended, I hope to come again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Seasoned Guest;

I am delighted to read your charming compliment on our boutique hotel and localized staff; our goal remains a personalize experience reflective of the Village of La Jolla and it looks like we delivered. We hope that if your travel plans find you back in the neighborhood you reach out to us directly for arrangements – we’ll be waiting.

Cheers,

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Probably the best location in the city but age is starting to show. Within walking distance of everything (beaches, restaurants & shopping). Small rooms with very little space for storing clothes and toiletries. My wife and I kept bumping our toes on the legs of the bed protruding from under the bed. Mechanical problems were such as every time we tried to close the bathroom door (door warped) it forced dust(mold) out of ceiling vent. Electrical plugs would not hold plugs of hair dryer & other appliances. Elevator was out for 2 days. Guests need to call for delivery of ice in room. Staff very friendly especially the valet parking staff. Quiet rooms.

Room Tip: If you need the extra room I would stay in one of the villas on the site.
Dear Ohio Guest;

Thank you for staying with La V and sharing your thoughts on the property and especially your compliments on our staff friendliness. Our boutique hotel does indeed include a diverse selection of rooms from smaller intimate accommodations (with stunning ocean views) to our spacious villas and suites. La Valencia is in the midst of guest room renovations and I apologize that you we likely in one of our last remaining un-renovated rooms. These details are important to us and are in the process of change.

Best regards,

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I recently hosted our daughter's wedding at La Valencia and I cannot say enough about the wonderful experience. Leo Lopez, La Valencia's catering manager, was a joy to work with. Every detail was seen to, not only for the wedding, but also for our out of town guests staying at La Valencia. The ceremony and reception were absolutely perfect. The setting and the service second to none. I highly reccomend La Valencia for any wedding, special event, or vacation. The location in La Jolla is perfect, within walking distance of many great restaurants, shops and the lovely La Jolla Cove. We travel quite a bit, and when in La Jolla, La Valencia is always our first choice!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mother of the (beautiful) Bride;

We were thrilled and honored to be the chosen venue for your daughter’s big day; thank you. La V has been the starting point for literally thousands of brides and grooms for over 8 decades and we take this honor with pride. Thank you very much for the compliments on our staff and services and we hope that the newlyweds are have a happy, healthy and long future together.

Warm regards,

Samoens, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The pink lady is dead,this was our third visit,a disaster,we arrived to find we are upgraded nice I thought but when the young lady asked if it was our first visit to la jolla my heart sank I should have listened to my wife I thought.we arrived into the suite next to the pool opened the balcony window and had to close it again because of the noise kids in the midle of a group of drunks=noise problems the conditioning controle did not work the shower head no presure a great build up of calcaire on the shower door,the room too dark because as they removed the spots and reduced the strength of the rest of the lights meant you just simply cant see or read,only one tea capsule in the tea and coffee service I asked for more.looking around the room I realised it lost its quality and sparcle the plant on the table had a dead head in the midle I looked over at the pool deck loungers all stained hardley any flouerring plants every thing lost its luster.
At breakfast I asked for my pancakes my wife asked for her continental and granola berry's and green tea,my buttermilk was sour dough and cottage cheese as for my wife the berry's turnd out to be some dry slices of fruite then my wife says to the waiter she would like to take three more tea bags to the room as choise in flavour the answer from him was he had to charge her for four pots of tea one she drank and three to replace the three tea bags,I looked at this comedy of errors signed for breakfast after telling her to forget about the extra tea bags,I went to reception and told them to cancel my stay of the rest of the five nights,todd came out a wonderful man he has been at the hotel too long ,I told him it was not the same place for us and we wanted to leave ,he explained the hotel was sold two years ago,but please to stay he upgraded us again to what they call the royal suite,next to the road I could not sleep untill mid night as people took their cars and again wake up at five thirty as car doors were slamd and engines started,the suite again was not royal in any way with the another famous one tea capsule like the first suiteat brekfast the next day I warned the waiter I wanted butter milk pancakes nothing else the pancakes arrived my heart sank again I told him I could not eat this as this is sourdough he started to tell me buttermilk is souer I told him to take it away,again I signed he did not charge for the pancakes, I told reception we are leaving.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Third Time;

I can assure you that La V is alive and well and our gardens are lush and flowering however I am sorry to see that our sincere efforts to create a great experience fell short.

I am sad that you make no mention of the multiple room moves which ultimately placed you in our premier $3,500 per night 1,400 sq. ft. villa at the original room rate you booked of $850. All our villas were pristinely renovated in the spring of 2012 and face the historic Scripps Park and Pacific Ocean. My concern increases with your numerous comments on items like buttermilk pancakes which we do not have on our menus; we are troubled with being so severely faulted for something we do not offer. Our Chef regularly makes arrangements to create special requests with advanced notice. Also to be faulted for the impact of guest activity at the pool or automobile noise surrounding our property is a challenge as La V is and always has been in the heart of the village of La Jolla and the hotel is surrounded by the same streets that were laid out over 86 years ago when La V was built.

As you know our team including Todd, Luigi and Michael all made genuine efforts to craft a wonderful stay for you and your wife but from your immediate arrival it was apparently fruitless – I am concerned that you may have had another agenda. If there are underlying concerns you would like to convey in person verses social media I remain available to you as I would any valued guest, my phone number is 858-551-3790. La V is committed to hospitality and our team is dedicated to our guests.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

It didn't start well when we found out that the elevator was out of service (and it remained so for our stay). We also didn't get the room we expected upon check-in. BUT the hotel quickly made good on providing a room with a partial ocean view and a balcony - although it was probably pretty easy to do given how empty it was mid week in late September during a recession!
They also moved the room to be one floor closer to reception/street level (which is actually the 7th floor) which was very welcome given the lack of elevator service. On checking in and out we had bellmen who were very responsive and helpful in moving our bags up & down the flights of stairs - and between rooms when we changed them.
We ate outside on the terrace once (lunch) and were given the table closest to the ocean - what a wonderful view! We ate breakfast inside and were the only ones there for mst of the meal. Service was very good and ALL of the food (and Sangrias) we had were excellent.
Valet parking was very convenient - it would have been tricky trying to park without valeting.
Overall a great place to stay - although it is more $$$ than we usually would spend.

Room Tip: Not many rooms have a balcony, even if they have an Ocean view. Ocean view is great - what they call...
Dear Houston Guest;

Many thanks for the lovely review and great compliments as well as you patience during our elevator outage. I am thrilled that this did not distract from your stay and that you took full advantage of our staff services and outstanding ocean views.

We hope to see you back very soon; we’ll keep a terrace table open!

Cheers,

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Hotel from the outside is great The views are amazing but inside the rooms!
This hotel is run down the doors don't close right and have no weather stripping to keep the cold air out. Cheap carpet that smells loud AC makes it hard to sleep and drapes that are stained and smell not worth the $300+ per night
and the room was not made until well after 2 pm so much for a clean towel to take a shower with

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear SD Guest –
We are so sorry that your La V experience was not top notch. Our team works diligently to maintain a pristine and well functioning atmosphere and environment. Your impressions of the property are of great concern and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in detail so that I can better understand the specific room you occupied – I can be reached at 858-551-3790. Our housekeeping staff begins guest room refreshes at 9:00 am with property completion by our 4:00 pm check-in time. I’m sorry that the timing for your room cleaning was later in the afternoon but please know that we are able to accommodate preferred re-fresh times if notified – that way we know when you plan to be out of the room.
Mark Dibella
Managing Director

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!