“Wonderful La Valencia!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Dallas
“Wonderful La Valencia!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I recently hosted our daughter's wedding at La Valencia and I cannot say enough about the wonderful experience. Leo Lopez, La Valencia's catering manager, was a joy to work with. Every detail was seen to, not only for the wedding, but also for our out of town guests staying at La Valencia. The ceremony and reception were absolutely perfect. The setting and the service second to none. I highly reccomend La Valencia for any wedding, special event, or vacation. The location in La Jolla is perfect, within walking distance of many great restaurants, shops and the lovely La Jolla Cove. We travel quite a bit, and when in La Jolla, La Valencia is always our first choice!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Mother of the (beautiful) Bride;

We were thrilled and honored to be the chosen venue for your daughter’s big day; thank you. La V has been the starting point for literally thousands of brides and grooms for over 8 decades and we take this honor with pride. Thank you very much for the compliments on our staff and services and we hope that the newlyweds are have a happy, healthy and long future together.

Warm regards,

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Samoens, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The pink lady is dead,this was our third visit,a disaster,we arrived to find we are upgraded nice I thought but when the young lady asked if it was our first visit to la jolla my heart sank I should have listened to my wife I thought.we arrived into the suite next to the pool opened the balcony window and had to close it again because of the noise kids in the midle of a group of drunks=noise problems the conditioning controle did not work the shower head no presure a great build up of calcaire on the shower door,the room too dark because as they removed the spots and reduced the strength of the rest of the lights meant you just simply cant see or read,only one tea capsule in the tea and coffee service I asked for more.looking around the room I realised it lost its quality and sparcle the plant on the table had a dead head in the midle I looked over at the pool deck loungers all stained hardley any flouerring plants every thing lost its luster.
At breakfast I asked for my pancakes my wife asked for her continental and granola berry's and green tea,my buttermilk was sour dough and cottage cheese as for my wife the berry's turnd out to be some dry slices of fruite then my wife says to the waiter she would like to take three more tea bags to the room as choise in flavour the answer from him was he had to charge her for four pots of tea one she drank and three to replace the three tea bags,I looked at this comedy of errors signed for breakfast after telling her to forget about the extra tea bags,I went to reception and told them to cancel my stay of the rest of the five nights,todd came out a wonderful man he has been at the hotel too long ,I told him it was not the same place for us and we wanted to leave ,he explained the hotel was sold two years ago,but please to stay he upgraded us again to what they call the royal suite,next to the road I could not sleep untill mid night as people took their cars and again wake up at five thirty as car doors were slamd and engines started,the suite again was not royal in any way with the another famous one tea capsule like the first suiteat brekfast the next day I warned the waiter I wanted butter milk pancakes nothing else the pancakes arrived my heart sank again I told him I could not eat this as this is sourdough he started to tell me buttermilk is souer I told him to take it away,again I signed he did not charge for the pancakes, I told reception we are leaving.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Third Time;

I can assure you that La V is alive and well and our gardens are lush and flowering however I am sorry to see that our sincere efforts to create a great experience fell short.

I am sad that you make no mention of the multiple room moves which ultimately placed you in our premier $3,500 per night 1,400 sq. ft. villa at the original room rate you booked of $850. All our villas were pristinely renovated in the spring of 2012 and face the historic Scripps Park and Pacific Ocean. My concern increases with your numerous comments on items like buttermilk pancakes which we do not have on our menus; we are troubled with being so severely faulted for something we do not offer. Our Chef regularly makes arrangements to create special requests with advanced notice. Also to be faulted for the impact of guest activity at the pool or automobile noise surrounding our property is a challenge as La V is and always has been in the heart of the village of La Jolla and the hotel is surrounded by the same streets that were laid out over 86 years ago when La V was built.

As you know our team including Todd, Luigi and Michael all made genuine efforts to craft a wonderful stay for you and your wife but from your immediate arrival it was apparently fruitless – I am concerned that you may have had another agenda. If there are underlying concerns you would like to convey in person verses social media I remain available to you as I would any valued guest, my phone number is 858-551-3790. La V is committed to hospitality and our team is dedicated to our guests.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

It didn't start well when we found out that the elevator was out of service (and it remained so for our stay). We also didn't get the room we expected upon check-in. BUT the hotel quickly made good on providing a room with a partial ocean view and a balcony - although it was probably pretty easy to do given how empty it was mid week in late September during a recession!
They also moved the room to be one floor closer to reception/street level (which is actually the 7th floor) which was very welcome given the lack of elevator service. On checking in and out we had bellmen who were very responsive and helpful in moving our bags up & down the flights of stairs - and between rooms when we changed them.
We ate outside on the terrace once (lunch) and were given the table closest to the ocean - what a wonderful view! We ate breakfast inside and were the only ones there for mst of the meal. Service was very good and ALL of the food (and Sangrias) we had were excellent.
Valet parking was very convenient - it would have been tricky trying to park without valeting.
Overall a great place to stay - although it is more $$$ than we usually would spend.

Room Tip: Not many rooms have a balcony, even if they have an Ocean view. Ocean view is great - what they call...
Dear Houston Guest;

Many thanks for the lovely review and great compliments as well as you patience during our elevator outage. I am thrilled that this did not distract from your stay and that you took full advantage of our staff services and outstanding ocean views.

We hope to see you back very soon; we’ll keep a terrace table open!

Cheers,

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Hotel from the outside is great The views are amazing but inside the rooms!
This hotel is run down the doors don't close right and have no weather stripping to keep the cold air out. Cheap carpet that smells loud AC makes it hard to sleep and drapes that are stained and smell not worth the $300+ per night
and the room was not made until well after 2 pm so much for a clean towel to take a shower with

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear SD Guest –
We are so sorry that your La V experience was not top notch. Our team works diligently to maintain a pristine and well functioning atmosphere and environment. Your impressions of the property are of great concern and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in detail so that I can better understand the specific room you occupied – I can be reached at 858-551-3790. Our housekeeping staff begins guest room refreshes at 9:00 am with property completion by our 4:00 pm check-in time. I’m sorry that the timing for your room cleaning was later in the afternoon but please know that we are able to accommodate preferred re-fresh times if notified – that way we know when you plan to be out of the room.
Mark Dibella
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This stay was a great experience on every level! The meals excellent, service special in every respect, the location superb. My wife and I travel a great deal and are fortunate to stay in wonderful hotels from London to Califotnia...we wold rate this among the best on every level.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Denver Guest -

La V is thrilled to know that your stay was great and even more honored knowing that you are a seasoned traveler. We recognize the large variety of hotel and resort choices available and value and appreciate our guests decision to select La Valencia, now and for the past 86 years!

See you again soon.

Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had always desired to stay at this 'pink' historic hotel overlooking the ocean and finally did for our anniversary. It was better than we imagined...our room, the view, the service, the pool, the valet parking, the proximity to the cove, wonderful walks on the shoreline, snorkeling with garibaldis near sea lions, incredible restaurants and galleries all within walking distance. We received a generous upgrade to a villa as a gift...it was very luxurious and perfect!

Room Tip: At least choose a partial ocean view room. Hotel.com offered a discount!
Dear Yorba Linda Guest -

Many thanks for spending your anniversary at La V - we hope this becomes an annual tradition as it has for so many others over the past 8 decades. We really do believe that like fine wine, our boutique hotel gets better with age (and so do many marriages)! Once again; Happy Anniversary from your family at La Valencia.

Cheers,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at La Valencia. The location, the hotel services, and the room could not have suited our needs any better. We arrived the Tuesday before Labor Day from the east coast and our adult children arrived from northern California to join us for the long weekend. While we had to wait a while for our room to be ready (we neglected to ask for early check-in), they made sure the room was ready and waiting for our son and daugher-in-law. The views are incredible since the hotel is built in the side of a mountain overlooking the ocean (the lobby is on the 7th floor). The staff go out of their way to be helpful and couteous. Pool service is friendly and attentive and their are multiple choices for snacks and drinks throughout the day. The location offers multiple choices for dining if you want to eat outside of the hotel for meals (the formal restaurants can be a bit pricey and it is fun to explore the local restaurants within walking distance). We recommend the hotel and would definitely return again.

Room Tip: I was told to make sure to request a renovated room since not all of the rooms have undergone renova...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Awesome Guest,
Thank you for spending your Labor Day at La V; we’re delighted that our destination was a welcome retreat from Northern California. I am especially thrilled that our friendly and personable staff were on tap to attend to your family needs. And yes, those ocean views are pretty spectacular. We are very pleased that La V will be in your future travel plans.
Best regards,
Managing Director

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!