“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed at La Valencia February 25-27th 2012 in a beautiful Villa. The service was outstanding. Thank you Stephanie Howard Director of Sales for helping make this the best vacation ever.. I would highly recommend this hotel, it is very charming and beautiful with views of the ocean and located in the center of all the shops and restaurants. After a weekend at this incredible property my boyfriend proposed, I highly recommend it .
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Great location at the center of the action in La Jolla. The Whaling Bar has a friendly ambiance and some terrific happy hour deals. The food was wonderful. The deluxe oceanfront room was huge and had a bathtub worthy of a long relaxing soak. The elevator was out due to renovation as of March 2012, but walking upstairs was no big deal since the bellman had to drag up the luggage. My only gripe would be that the Internet is a little slow. There is a Massage Envy within walking distance, so you can get a late massage at a good price. While in the area, walk to the Cave Shop and pay the $4 to descend to the Sunny Jim cave. The neighborhoods in La Jolla have sidewalks, wonderful architecture, and beautiful landscaping, so enjoy a nice long walk.

Room Tip: The ocean views are fabulous, and therefore probably worth paying extra for. The windows can be ope...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
cincinnati
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

THIS was my second trip to LA VELENCIA and on both occasions the same thing happend.First time the room was so small you could barely move around the bed,After waiting about a half hour we decide to pay a up charge to get a better room.The last trip in Febuary 2012 I asked to see the room first.The room was supposed to be a ocean front view,only to find out that if you bent over and took a hard look to the left you would get a glimpse on the ocean(hardely a ocean front view).The furniture was beaten up and by no standards even close to a 4 star hotel,once again I found myself at the front desk asking for a better room.The young lady at the front desk had different options ranging from an additional $300 to $600 per evening,keep in mind I all ready pre-paid for my ocean front room.At this point I asked for a MGR and a gentleman named Luigi introduced himself. I explained the dissatisfaction with the acomodations and his solution was a $1200 suite at my expense,one again I had pre-paid for a ocean front room.After an hour had gone bye with no help from Luigi we were able to prove the acomodations we had paid for in the beginning.Luigi at this point found a room that was available.The room was going through remodeling that was half furnished.This was certainly not the way I was looking to start my trip.My advise to anyone staying there would be number one DO NOT to pre-pay and check your room out first before checking in.I must admitt the grounds are beatifull and the staff is nice but for management they need HELP.Oh well this will give me a chance to try somewhere else.Guest room #0025 02/07/2012 through 02/10/2012 If you care to respond.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
LaValenciaHotel, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear Shaun S,

I regret to hear that despite our efforts that we were not able to provide you with a positive experience at our property. We feel our management team took the appropriate steps in trying to address your concerns and misunderstanding of the room category purchased on a third party travel site. The original room you described in your review is a Partial Ocean View room, which was the room category purchased. As our goal is to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, we extended a complimentary upgrade to an Ocean Facing Suite for the duration of your stay.

I hope there is another opportunity to welcome you back to La Valencia. Our Reservations Team is available to provide you with the personalized service of selecting a satisfactory room category and able to match any rates found online.

We will be contacting you within 24 hours to personally discuss your experience further.

Vikram Sood
Managing Director
Patchogue, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have always loved La Valencia in La Jolla. As a little girl I dreamt of someday hosting my wedding here, and that day came true for me on Feb 4th.

My father asked me upon our check-in:"What do they feed these people?"- He was referring to the very friendly staff at La Valencia.

La Valencia can not be beat for a weekend retreat, or a memorable wedding weekend. The location is amazing. The view is spectacular. The service is genuine. The food was described as the best wedding food our guests had ever tasted. And the "whalers" in the Whaling Bar- perfectly boozy.

The saddest part of the whole weekend was having to leave our spacious Villa overlooking the pool, park, and Pacific.

My husband and I were truly treated like royalty here from the beginning to the end of our stay. We will definitely be spending our anniversaries to come here.

Thank you La Valencia...

Room Tip: I have stayed in several of the rooms here. If you can swing it- opt to stay in one of the luxurious...
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012 via mobile

This was my third stay at La Valencia. It is currently undergoing construction and the elevator was not working. The view from my room was great, The Whaling Bar is great and the location is simply fantastic.

• Stayed February 2012
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

My daughter began dreaming of her wedding reception at La Valencia when she was just a little girl and it came true earlier this month. "Perfect" is the only word to describe the event and the entire weekend. Our party had beautiful rooms, from the upper floor rooms to the villas by the pool. We gathered in the Whaling Bar and Grill with guests on Friday night, we had a pre-wedding "meeting" in the jacuzzi Saturday morning, we enjoyed breathtaking views at the outdoor cocktail reception and we were treated to gourmet food and service in the ballroom. And we wrapped up the weekend with a delicious Sunday breakfast on the outdoor balcony! The history, the location, the intimacy, the attention to detail made this very special family and friends event one we'll never forget. Thank you, La Valencia!

Room Tip: I think every room has a view of the Pacific Ocean.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed at La Valencia while attending a family wedding. From arrival in our car with our labrador in tow, through check out, we experienced friendly and accomodating service from all staff. The beautifully renovated architecture and manicured grounds mirrored the finest hotels in Europe. Great beds and down linens completed our quiet and private room. Dining with excellent food and the Pacific beyond added to a wonderful weekend. We particularly enjoyed walking along the "cove" where entertaining sea lions barked for us to return soon !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!