“La Valencia is PERFECT!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5-10-15 Special
Ranked #5 of 24 hotels in La Jolla
Houston, Texas
“La Valencia is PERFECT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Dear prospective La V customers,

La Valencia is THE historic hotel in LA JOLLA! You don't get better than this hotel. It is boutique, charming, and part of the history of La Jolla. It is an honor to stay at "the pink lady" and be a part of her history. If you are looking for charisma, style, sass, and fun, this is a great hotel.

For those of you reading reviews regarding weddings, here is the deal.... I had my wedding at La V last weekend. We were part of the roudy crowd. La Valencia SHUTS DOWN the reception at 10:00pm! No options, no questions. There is a city noise ordinance and nothing can be done to get around it. At 9:45pm we had our last dance and moved those that wanted to stay over to the inside bar that is insulated and pretty quite. There is nothing that can be done about loud guests in any hotel at midnight in the hallways. You should not hold a hotel taccountable as they do everything possible to accommodate and keep the property quite. 10:00pm is a VERY reasonable time.

I hope you choose to visit La Valencia. It is a special place.

648 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

La Valencia is situated in the middle of the business district of the picturesque town of La Jolla. The common areas are beautifully decorated and the hotel overlooks the ocean. The partial ocean view room in which we stayed was TINY. The bathroom which had been renovated was the smallest bathroom I had ever seen. It was the size of a small closet. The sink was a glass bowl, mounted on a counter top. The look was pretty, but the size of the bowl was so small, it was difficult to wash your face and keep the water inside the bowl.

It's too bad the hotel didn't enlarge the rooms during the renovation. The setting is spectacular, but I would not consider staying there again because of the bedroom and bathroom.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I are San Diego locals that were looking for a quiet getaway for a "stay-cation." I had heard good things about the La Valencia from my parents, who had stayed there on their honeymoon, which might have been the first indication that I should be expecting something a little dated. The hotel is an unsightly bright pink and, while it's still a nice place, it SCREAMS "Update Me!!" The room wasn't anything to rave about, but it was nice enough. The dining area on the patio facing the ocean was my favorite part - we had a perfect view of the sunset and were able to enjoy a few quiet glasses of wine and eat some pretty good food.

Overall, it was pricy and not exactly what I had expected. I wouldn't stay there again simply because I know of other beach hotels in the area that are more updated and cost less - my recommendation is go to the La Valencia for dinner and stay someplace else.

Prescott, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed two nights in a delux, ocean-facing, king room. I had not stayed here in over 10 years and the place has gone to absolute seed. Used to be charming, but no more. Needs to close for a year or two for major refurbishment. Carpets were worn and dirty, decor is dated and tired, one dingy elevator for the entire hotel, plumbing worked poorly in my room, restaurant menu was mediocre, and staff, for the most part, was friendly but not trained to perform in a hotel venue in this price range. It absolutely amazes me that this hotel is still able to charge the kind of prices it does. I always check Tripadvisor before I go but didn't on the La Valencia because I thought "once a princess, always a princess". Had I read Tripadvisor this time I could have been spared paying almost $500 a night to stay in a dump that is well described in your ratings section. Live and learn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

What a beautiful hotel! Every person on staff was very friendly and helpful. We spent a good part of the afternoon enjoying drinks on the Ocean View Terrance and watching a wedding taking place below. After dinner at an outside restaurant, we returned to our room which was very clean and seemingly comfortable until we actually tried to sleep.

The bed is covered in a heavy comforter (in July!) and we had to keep lowering the noisy AC to keep from sweating. The mini bar fridge itself was also noisy. Fell asleep around 10:30pm only to be wakened around midnight by very loud laughing and partying right outside our window! Took a peek outside and saw the wedding party seemingly wrapping up their big day, but this went on for about 30 minutes. Can't believe the hotel would allow them to carry on so loudly right outside of guests' rooms so late at night. Woke up the next morning to what sounded like the staff folding up chairs and tables outside from the previous night's partying.

Great. I spent $285 plus tax for this?

I filled out the online survey that was emailed to me after our stay. I voiced my disappointment and sort of expected to hear from the hotel. A week went by and I hear nothing, so I emailed the hotel's manager directly. He responded promptly and said he would like to speak to me on the phone. Never received that call. Oh, and I was charged for the mini bar, which we literally did not touch (I know better). Had to call the hotel to get that charge removed.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The ocean view from the Garden Suite was great. However, you had to sneak a peek in between the guests arriving for the wedding reception held in the next room.

The carpet was moist and sticky, as were the comforter and pillows on the bed. The refrigerator had mold and the contents were sticky.

My partner and I were disappointed in lack of cleanliness, but said we would give it a go. We strolled around the remainder of the facility, which proved to be just a nasty as the room.

The pool area had bird feces along the edge of the swimming pool, on many of the chaise lounges and on the tables themselves. To top it off, the sea gulls were swimming in the pool. We headed back upstairs to have drinks and a bite to eat. This too was impeded by the bird deposits that covered the awnings over the patio area. Not a sight I could handle while attempging to eat.

Upon our return to our room, the reception really took off. The music would have been appropriate, had we invited a room full of prople to party in our room. We were then offered to move to a quieter room, which was not all that quiet. From room 305 we could still hear the music from the reception, from the livingroom. From the bedroom we could hear the music from the patio. The bathroom was tiny and by the time we were settled, all my partner and I could do was cleanup and decided which room we would occupy based on the music playing around the hotel.

On Sunday, we were to be moved to the beach villa we reserved. Based on the lack of cleanliness of the hotel and lack of understanding from the staff, we checked out. The price charged for these rooms definitely didn't go towards the cleaning of the facility.

The location was great, but way overpriced.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

The location is incredible. The grounds, pool, views, flowers are fabulous. Our room was fine, we were not in the main part of the hotel, so having to go through the courtyard to access our room was not ideal. Our room did not have view which we would have obviously enjoyed, in fact you could hardly even see out our windows. The bathroom was large and updated. Beds and pillows were very comfortable and the room was large. Caution we had some money stolen from our room. Be sure not to leave money/valuables out in plain site. The 4th of July party was great but very pricey for what it entailed.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main part of the hotel.