“Misleading advertising” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 La Jolla B&B and Inns
New York City
“Misleading advertising”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

Relying on the positive ratings for this hotel in tripadvisor, my husband and I booked a five night vacation in what was described as an "ocean view", deluxe room. The room was on the ground floor. The front rooms faced the parking lot and stairwell; the back room faced a wall. There was no sunlight. The "view" consisted of a porthole sized hole that was cut out in the wall behind the headboard of the bed, from which you could see a crack of the ocean. The room smelled of mildew. When we complained at the front desk, we were told that there were no "standard" rooms in the hotel, the lowest grade of room was described as "deluxe, ocean view", We forfeited our deposit , and immediately checked out. We found a less expensive room with a spectacular ocean view a few blocks away. Perhaps other rooms in this hotel are nicer, but I caution you to BEWARE of the misleading descriptions and pictures on their website.

• Liked — location of hotel
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

We (my husband and I and our young daughter) stayed in a standard room at the Scripps Inn, and enjoyed our stay there. The room is large, even with the sofabed folded out for our daughter. The beds and linens were high quality and comfortable. The bathroom was a good size. Everything was clean and tidy.

The continental breakfast was enough for us, and we enjoyed eating out at the tables on the terrace/deck area. The location is suberb, across a quiet street from the ocean, just a few blocks from Childrens' Beach, and walking distance from everywhere we wanted to get to in La Jolla.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Comfortable and great location
  • Disliked — Front desk closed at night
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

My family and I stayed for 2 nights at the Scripps Inn. Both nights we were there, a wedding was taking place right out front of the Inn accross the street. The view is spectacular, the breakfast was great, and it was very convienient to everything we wanted to do and see. We would stay there again and highly recommend the Scripps Inn. In addition, the room rate was very reasonable for La Jolla in the middle of the summer.

Stayed August 2007
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

Our experience at The Scripps Inn in La Jolla can only be described as absolute bliss and perfection. I mean, perhaps these are hyperboles, but these were the feelings we had from check-in to check-out. We really don't have a single complaint about the place and the staff is beyond wonderful.

We went in late May, and the weather was gorgeous. When we first drove down to Coast Boulevard, where Scripps is located, (down a pretty steeply sloped street lined with quaint but upscale shops and restaurants), we couldn't believe our eyes. We were literally pretty much right on the ocean. The vantage point from the Inn offers absolutely the best view of La Jolla, the Pacific ocean, the meandering shoreline, from which you can see all the way down to the other end. We had to drop all our luggage, and start snapping pictures on the deck. The water is turquoise, surrounded by golden cliffs in all their majesty- all so gorgeously laid out in front of us. The palm trees that line the boulevard are So tall... The view from the Inn, is in our opinion, the best from that whole street, much better than the Cove Suites down the street, where there is a large wooded park / picnic area, so you can't see much of an ocean view at all from the building.

We never had any trouble parking there in all of our 4 nights / 5 days of staying there. There are 2 lots, in front and behind the hotel. The staff was more than helpful and accomodating throughout our stay. We had a room with a fireplace, and the room was spacious, clean, with light colored furnishing, a HUGE comfortable bed with good quality sheets, the fireplace is big and tall, and really works. The best part was the bathroom, so spacious, with two sinks, a large mirror, a large tub, and is absolutely sparkly clean every day.

They also leave Aveda products!

The morning pastries were also really good - fresh and tasty.

Overall, the experience at the Inn and in La Jolla made this our best vacation in recent years. I highly recommend staying at the Scripps Inn in this most beautiful and luxurious part of San Diego.

• Liked — The view is simply the best.
  • Disliked — No internet. But, why stay on a computer when you can stare out at the Pacific?
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Allentown,PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

Scrippps Inn is located directly across the street from the ocean a short walk from La Jolla Cove. Although you can tell this was once a simple motel by the sea the rooms have been upgraded to suit todays needs. The rooms are a nice size and the bathrooms have a ncie granet counter and 2 sinks and a very convienent shelf below the large mirror. The tub and toilet should have been replaced during the renovation, though. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. They offer pastries and juice each morning. However, the juice is not cold. Rooms are kept clean and there are 2 outdoor tables with ocean views which you may use. For the price this inn can not be beat in this expensive locatiion. A one bedroom for 2 is $199.00 per night!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ABQ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

The Scripps Inn is a lovely small inn in a fantastic location in La Jolla. Although it can get a little noisy on Saturday night, it is worth it to stay at this quaint inn. Everything is within walking distance for anyone in good health. Otherwise, the hills are tough to climb to the village. The beach is directly across the street and you can hear the waves crashing at night - very relaxing to people like us who dearly miss the ocean. Allison is in charge of the front desk and she really is personable and professional. She was even kind enough to make sure we received our boarding passes in the A group (all you SW heads know how important that is)! The beds are comfortable and we did not have a problem with parking on any night, although all spaces were taken. They were booked solid every night we were there.

All and all a wonderful place to stay! We plan on staying here again the next time we are in La Jolla.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Thin walls.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

My husband and I were looking for a B&B for one night in La Jolla last minute. There weren't many options. The reviews and nice website made me choose the Scripps Inn. I called and got the last available room, a two bedroom suite for $199, a $100 discount off the regular $299 rate.

As soon as I set foot in the room, I smelled this horrible stench. It wasn't a rotten or dirty smell, but rather a musty, old building smell. It was so strong that I breathed through my nose most of the time I spent in the room. I immediately opened all the windows and left the front door open. I could not get out of the room fast enough. I didn't think to say anything to the receptionist because I knew there were no more rooms available, and I figured that all the rooms had this smell. Looking back on it, I should have said something. The smell was so bad that despite it being in the 40s at night, we left the windows open.

Aside from the smell, the room and furniture were pretty run down. It was clean, but the bed was caved in, and overall the room had a dingy look and feel.

The location is nice. You don't have much of a view from your room. The front faces the street with the ocean right beyond the street, which is beautiful, but it isn't like looking out your balcony with an oceanview. It was very nice to walk across the street and have the cliffs and ocean to enjoy. We enjoyed watching the seals play on the beach. We were able to walk to the shops and restaurants in La Jolla, but this walk might be difficult for older or disabled people as much of it is uphill.

The restaurant list the hotel gave us was incomplete. We saw three prominent restaurants close to the hotel that weren't on the list: Cerdio (very close, good Latin food), Jack's, Aurora (Italian).

In the morning, we ran out of toilet paper. (There was only a little bit left on the roll when we arrived.) My husband ran out of hot water shortly after he started his shower.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you are budget conscious and want to fit a lot of people in one room. The kitchen might be nice for some people, but that had its own stink in the morning.

I appreciated that we only had to stay one night and that the company paid the discounted rate. I would have been extremely upset if I had paid $299 of my own money for this room.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Scripps Inn? Share your experiences!