“A Day With Jodi” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 21 activities in La Jolla
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Nestled atop Mt Soledad, in beautiful San Diego, Lajollacooks4u offers a very unique hands-on, gourmet cooking and dining experience. Founded in 2008, Lajollacooks4u has experienced tremendous growth and success with major corporations and guests from all over the world! With our very own indoor and outdoor kitchen, organic vegetable and herb garden and spectacular views, Lajollacooks4u is the perfect venue for corporate team-building, large group cooking demonstrations, special occasions, lunches and dinners and for those who simply love to cook! Lajollacooks4u offers a variety of packages including our one-of-a kind Farmer’s Market and Foodie Tours, Weekend Culinary Adventures and hands-on gourmet cooking classes. All our classes are customizes for each group and include a fabulous sit-down gourmet meal, complete with wine pairing. Come see for yourself why Lajollacooks4u has been rated the #1 attraction in La Jolla for over 3 consecutive years!! We specialize in California-influenced cuisine.
Houston, Texas
“A Day With Jodi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My two daughter are on their summer break with very little time to spend with mom - friends they have time for :) - so I had to come up with something very cool for them to get excited about and found La Jolla so beautiful that I knew they would have a wonderful time. Their absolute highlight of the trip (and mine) was spending a wonderful four hours with Jodi in her beautiful kitchen learning easy recipes for the younger cooks and more sophisticated dishes for the more experienced cooks which was a perfect combination for us. I must admit, I've never made bread or bake many desserts. Now I have every confidence in making Cracked Pepper Focaccia with Truffle Oil and a Plum Tart with Marzipan Crumble! Yum! Every recipe was from scratch without premade bottle sauces with a concentration on healthy and natural dishes. My only recommendation is to COME HUNGRY and if you do the lunch class, schedule a very light dinner! I will definately schedule another cooking class with some girl friends soon!

Visited July 2012
chefjodi, Owner at Lajollacooks4u, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hi LIsa,
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed cooking with you and your daughters!! I had so much fun sharing my kitchen with all of you!! I can't wait for you to come back with your friends and so glad you are already inspired to recreate some of my recipes at home! Happy cooking and thank you so much for your business.

San Diego, California
3 attraction reviews
“Best birthday gift for my husband”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I booked a private cooking class for my husband with La Jolla Cooks 4 U. We both had a fabulous time! He cooks quite a bit already, so I wanted to find a class that could teach healthy, sophisticated recipes that would be new to him. Chef Jodi came up with tasty, interesting recipes that were so good, we immediately recreated many of them over the days that followed our class. In particular, we loved the cracked pepper and olive oil focaccia bread, the incredibly fresh roasted tomato and basil sauce, the salad dressing which had hints of so many flavors, and the five-ingredient molten lava cakes. Our kids ate all the asparagus and leeks soup we brought home. It was also a lovely date night for us because we got to have a leisurely dinner after the class, eating our creations and enjoying the view from Jodi's lovely home. This experience is certainly worth the price -- the privacy and one-on-one attention, the setting, the quality of the food and instruction, and the dinner all in one package can't be beat. We will be back with our daughter the next time!

, Owner at Lajollacooks4u, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you so much Michelle! It was delightful cooking with you and Peter and I can't wait to try your idea of a puréed wild mushroom sauce! We all truly learn from each other! I am so glad you were inspired to recreate some of my recipes at home! I look forward to cooking with you and your family again very soon!

San Diego
“Unbelievable cooking class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Jodi was an incredible host and produced an unforgettable experience. The perfect gift for a couple or just people who love food. Her 1 on 1 focus allowed us to learn all kinds of tricks and secrets to simple cooking that you cannot get from tv shows, group classes, or magazines. After an amazing cooking experience, we were served the great food outside in her back yard, with a magnificent view of San Diego. I strongly recommend this class for a special gift or special occasion.

, Owner at Lajollacooks4u, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you so much Trevor! I had so much fun cooking with you and Kadie! You were both so delightful and eager to learn! I can' t wait to see the pictures of the meal you will recreate!
Wishing you and Kadie much happiness always and a very safe tour of duty. Please stay in touch.

San Diego, California
“Amazing Birthday Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My friends surprised me with an amazing day of cooking and eating. I've been to many cooking classes and I can honestly say that this was one of the best ones. I love and believe in the farm to table concept and love that Jodi uses all her own herbs and any other produce or fruit from her garden when she can. The food was fresh and we all loved the preparations and then sat down to a beutifully set table and thouroughly enjoyed the meal we prepared.

Chicago
“Best Cooking Class....Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I decided to find a surprise gift for my wife for surviving a surgical residency program with me and found this on TripAdvisor...and we were blown away! Finding a cooking class is very difficult. Not because they are hard to find - but because you are buying what the chef is selling and often they are only willing to sell you one way to cook or one cuisine - fine if that is all that you are looking for. BUT if you are looking for a cooking experience that is truly interactive AND expressive - then take a class with Jodi. She tailored our class (two day weekend culinary adventure) to our palates - selecting out ingredients we told her we didn't like. She also listened to us and our desires about what to learn - fresh farm to table cooking. She put a twist on it with an asian farm to table meal.

But more than anything we were so happy to spend time with Jodi - we spent hours talking about cooking and life and doctoring and California - she even gave us great recommendations about restaurants for the rest of our trip. We left with such a good feeling and FULL STOMACHS!

You will not be disappointed with your experience with her.

Visited May 2012
chefjodi, Owner at Lajollacooks4u, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
John and Erica,
You both were so delightful and I had so much fun sharing my kitchen with you!! This Is why I love what I do because I am so blessed to meet such awesome folks who share my same passion for food and cooking! I ove showing folks how easy it is to cook delicious, healthy food. Wishing you both much luck and happiness in your new home in Nashville. Thank you so much and please keep in touch!