“Living off their reputation.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“Living off their reputation.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The second to last time I ate there I had what I would easily consider to be THE worst dish (pun intended) I have ever had in a restaurant, some sort of allegedly beef stroganoff thing that had watery gruel with chewy noodles that Oliver Twist would not have asked for a second helping of, a couple of trips prior to that the server tried to rip me off in my change for $10 (and when I called to complain to the manager he defended her and said I was wrong), 3 times in a row I called in a dessert order to be picked up by me and 3 times it was the wrong item they gave me, so the 4th time (I can't say 'No' to the GF!) I explained all this to the bartender who took my order with the manager listening to my story and he did not apologize or say 1 word, and so I decided I would give it one last trip for breakfast as I thought that NO restaurant can screw up breakfast. Wrong. Both mine and the GF's sucked. So I have not been back and never will again, even though I am well within walking distance. Even before these experiences we would eat there despite their always notoriously slow service as the food used to be quite good, but with the poor quality food matching their equally poor quality service it is absolutely not worth going to. (In the interests of full disclosure, it has been about a year and a half or more since these incidents, but their totality is such that I will NEVER go back there again as I am assuming they have not improved in any of these areas). They do have nice decor, but that's it.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Pasadena, California
“Real Pan Fried Chicken on Tuesdays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

One of the things you miss in California if you have grown up in the sticks, is real fried chicken! As far as I know this is the only restaurant around that has that. Virtually every place has pre-battered, frozen Costco type chicken.

The Dish batters and pan fries and it is as close to home cooked as it gets. We hadn't gone for a while but I was in my chicken mood. I forgot to ask for the gravy on the side as the last time we had gone it was so bad a farmer would not even of slopped the hogs with it. Apparently they have a new chef or at least someone did learn to make a better gravy. It still is not Iowa Chicken Gravy but it is eatable, which it surely was not when they started Chicken Tuesdays. It was so bad there are not words to describe it, but now it is better. Not great but a lot better.

In fact we went two Tuesdays in a row as the chicken was so good.

They vegetable that comes with it is carrot and zucchini. The carrots are still raw but the zucchini is cooked and quite tasty. Anything that isn't the broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix is fantastic as we refuse those.

I've never had anything bad here except the gravy. The burgers are great, the salads fantastic and if you can get there on the days they have short ribs, oh my those are so good and tender. And the mashed potatoes are so good.

I can't get my husbands work people to go here for lunch for a couple of reasons, they say it is too expensive, well it isn't cheap but you do get what you pay for, but for people who work it can be a bit more than the work cafeteria which is not cheap either. However the main reason is sometimes I take a cake and the Dish will charge a fee per person for that and that is not customer friendly for this group. We have a large number of places that are thrilled to have us and our lunch group, that we don't have to go here.

Breakfast seems to be a big draw here, they give you your own toaster on the table so you can butter your own toast when it is nice and hot. I'm not a breakfast person.

The Dish is not exactly a warm atmosphere, it is bare and wooden and almost an Amish decor, but the food is great and the waitresses normally young, pretty, and very nice and helpful. We ate in the bar area last week and didn't have the normal experience, just a lady doing her job and wanting not to be there but that is the first experience of that as usually they are so great.

I love the food at the Dish and would love to go more often, just need someone who likes to share a meal.

The question that always stumps me is the romance one, well with the right person it is always great, but in general, this is not a place I would go to if I want to snuggle up with someone.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
La Canada Flintridge, Ca
“Great For Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Dish is one of our favorite places to go for breakfast. We live here, and you can't find a place that has better pancakes (sometimes seasonal) or omelets. The sausage (from a local butcher) is great as well. Add a fun atmosphere, and you have a winner.

• Visited March 2013
Los Angeles
“Great food, great service I will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I went with a big group, 2 tables one of them all kids, and everything was perfect. ALL the food was great, I loved my salad, kids loved their dishes (off a kids menu) the waitress was great and we all left stuffed and happy. The kids ordered dessert so i had a taste of their apple pie which was fantastic. Folks a the next table were drinking delicious looking martinis I loved this place and can't wait to come back for breakfast!

• Visited April 2013
Moorpark, California
“Will return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We tried DISH for the first time this week and were both so impressed with our meals. I had a really yummy pasta dish with pulled pork, tomatoes, and mushrooms that was unusual in a very good way. Hubby had the HUGE pork chops with apple chutney; he grinned with every bite. The house white wine was quite good and for under $5 a bargain; he liked his glass of Fat Tire beer. We shared an order of decadent peanut butter & chocolate bread pudding that was so good and rich that sharing it turned out to be a good decision. (Only heat of p.b. but lots of chocolate.) The service was really good and the location is good for visiting Descanso Gardens. We will most definitely return and will also try out their location in Thousand Oaks, which is closer to where we live.

• Visited March 2013