“Stunning location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ferrari's Crown Resort

You added Ferrari's Crown Resort to your Saves list
Ferrari's Crown Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   8200 N. Lake Blvd., Kings Beach, CA 96143 (Formerly the Gold Crest Resort)   |
Special Offer
10% off for SnowFest
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kings Beach
Evanston
“Stunning location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We picked the Ferrari Crown, sight unseen, for it's location: Kings Beach is the closest spot to I-80 that's on Lake Tahoe. I also noted that the owners read & respond to reviews which I took to be a good sign. We arrived after midnight and checked into the room we had reserved online. It was quite small but clean and functional and faced the highway. The next morning we went down to breakfast and saw the views from the side facing the lake and decided to ask to move. The woman at the desk was very friendly and accommodating and for a modest upgrade fee we were able to move to the lakefront. It was worth it! We traded the sound of the highway (though not too bad) for the soothing sound of waves lapping the shore. Our room was twice as big and had a lovely deck as well, where we sat and enjoyed the spectacular vista of the beautiful blue lake surrounded by mountains. The hotel consists of several buildings and if you're spending any time in the area at all, it's definitely worth the extra $ for the lake side. There are 4 wifi connections that provide coverage throughout the property and there's a good, basic continental breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. Our lake view rooms are very popular for their proximity to the lake. Keep in mind we always run special rates on them during the spring and fall shoulder seasons.

Dave Ferrari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Often a stay at a motel can be greatly influenced by others who are staying in the rooms around you.

We lucked out this time around as we were in a room looking directly over the lake in a string of only four or five rooms. No one on one side and two older men on the other who were very quiet.

The grounds of this motel are well maintained, it is obvious the owners care. Don't forget this place has been around since the fifties and as are many of that era have either closed or fallen in to shoddy repair. Not here, it all looks fresh and cared for.

The room it self has a tremendous view of Lake Tahoe since it is almost to the lake shore. A very nice big window to look out as well as a glass door which brings in more light and lets out more view. So the feel is bright and airy. There is a settee out in front of each room for relaxation and viewing. We had a room with two queen beds a small table with two chairs and a dresser with the flat screen tv on top. It also had the area set for a small refrigerator and coffee make with a microwave. I assume whne others mention the rooms being small this is not one of those rooms as it fit all well with room to navigate around. I will admit I was not a fan of the color of the room, but this is personal taste as it was well maintained and fit the room well. The color by the way is blue and in my mind translates to poverty blue. The beds according to my sister were just fine and she slept well. I never sleep well so I am not one to judge. The wifi worked well and had a strong connection. Yes the bathroom where the toilet and tub are kept is small and has one of those toilets I find often in California seem to have been made for a five year old, very close to the ground and tiny. I realize if they had a standard modern toilet the door would not close and as I was perched upon this toilet I was working on the problem and am pretty sure it could be worked out.

Now there were a few things I did find annoying:

I assume they have had a rash of iron thefts in the past since the iron is lashed to the board and makes ironing kind of difficult. But hey if one must protect ones property I can understand.

No hot water was to be found at the sink. If one lets the water run in hopes of finding hot water the sink fills very quickly and then drains very slowly and still no hot water. I know what some are thinking, why did I not call the front desk. Well this was around 5 am and they seem not to open until 8 am, yeah I know, odd.

The coffee pot did not work. It took in the water and heated but would not drain in to the pot and what little that did drain did so on to the tray and not the pot. Again it was around 5 am so no point in alerting anyone. The breakfast room does not open until 8 am either so what is a mother to do. Odd hours huh.

So I do have mixed feelings about this place but over all I suspect I would give it another try. Show owner comment »

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your detailed review. Being a family owned resort, we pride ourselves on taking care of the property. The irons are tied down in the room to prevent them from being used for waxing skis and snowboards in the winter (a Tahoe specific issue!).

Our apologies for the hot water and coffee pot issue, if you could provide us with a room # we'll have maintenance check the room out.

Hope to see you soon.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Ferrari's Crown Resort for a day in September 2013. The room was okay - not too comfortable/luxurious, but clean and great value for money. The facilities were excellent: there was a swimming pool and jacuzzi (one of the two jacuzzis could be reserved for a private group at no cost). There was a ping-pong table. The beach was literally a stone's throw away, and there were a decent number of people around, though it was off season. The lake was serene and beautiful. We enjoyed kayaking, though there were many who were on paddle-boards. On the whole, this place was great value for money, and is thoroughly recommended! (though you should not expect a five star hotel, or a very luxurious stay).

Complaints: the bathroom didn't have a lock on it; instead of two twin beds in our room, there was one double bed and one twin; there was no air conditioning (but we were given a fan, which did the trick)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We agree that we are not luxurious (except for the natural beauty of the Lake and beach) but do strive to be comfortable. We understand we are not a 5 star location but price our property for what we can offer. We don’t think there is a better value on the beach in Tahoe region.

Hebron, Ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I enjoyed my time at Ferrari's so much. 2 pools 2 spas ( one is private ) and amazing beach. Walking distance to restaurants and grocery store. Pulling up to hotel at first was surprised because it did not look anything like the photos I saw when I booked my trip but once I drove out back to my room, I was hooked. I will be back for sure. Breakfast is adequate although fruit would have been a great addition and perhaps if the breakfast room could have opened maybe an hour earlier. ( 8-9:30 ). Look forward to my next trip and would not want to stay any other place.

Room Tip: ask for lake front or lake view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks for the nice review. If you come back in the winter time, the continental breakfast opens earlier!

Dave Ferrari.
Rohnert Park, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was looking for a place to spend a couple of days while in Tahoe, and came across Ferrari's Crown Resort. I was sold on the private beach, 2 pools and spa, and booked a reservation online. Within an hour I received a notification that my reservation did not go through, and to call the resort directly. I did so, and was told the computers had been down, but my reservation could be made over the phone. Within minutes, I had a room confirmation sent via e-mail. Several days later, I received another e-mail, with a different room and confirmation number. I sent an e-mail asking for clarification, again, within a few hours received an e-mail stating that a second reservation had been recorded (apparently, the computers were working again and my original reservation kicked in). The e-mail also stated that the second charge had been reversed, and I was sent another, final, confirmation and room number. Despite the mishap, all communication was friendly and efficient, and the situation was taken care of.

Regarding the room: Yes, it was small (we were 3 people, in a standard double/twin room), but it served its purpose. The bathroom was VERY tiny (imagine squeezing around the sink to get to the toilet), but, again, it was functional. I would have liked a little more variety in the breakfast room, but was content with the cereal, yogurt and bread selections. The location is perfect (steps away from Steamers restaurant and the public beach).

Bottom line: If you want space, glitz and glamour, you'll probably be happier in one of the huge hotel/casinos. If you want a place to rest your head after a day of swimming, water sports and hanging out on the beach, this place is perfect. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We apologize about the duplicate email issue, that has been taken care of. Value, location, and a pleasant stay are what we go for. See you next time at The Crown.

Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My favorite part of this stay was the private beach just steps from our pool area. The room was very basic, but the amenities included two pools, two hot tubs, numerous shared lounge areas, free breakfast and gorgeous sunsets. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can't book online during a busy holiday, call the motel directly. They hold back some roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
The Crown is located closer to the shore of Lake Tahoe than most. We're glad you had a nice stay.

Concord, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed with family during August in 2 of the rooms, rooms 409 and 414. 414 was great with views and 3 queen sized beds. The pic of room 409 is deceiving. At the right angle of the room, you will have a view but mostly the view is the parking lot. Also, the bathroom has a clear window with tiny curtain with holes in the pattern that faces the pool area and parking lot which gives no privacy whatsoever. All the staff had been men that I chatted with and very pleasant on phone and upon checkin but when I went to complain about the window, there was a rude lady who just looked at me and her only comment was "we never have had a complaint about our curtains and no privacy." Hmm...put me in my place, didn't she? When I returned and told my family what had happened, my son-in-law said did you tell her, "then this is the first complaint?" Overall, was a great place for kids. They had a great time building castles, parasailing and catching crawdads. Just don't go for room 409.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We agree that 409 is not one of our best “view” rooms but still has some view. We should be explaining that on the phone if we are called directly. We have a wide variety of “views” and given configurations of our property, some are better than others. We have a pretty regular clientele returning to 409 because of the full kitchen and close access to pools and the Lake. Many of the rooms with better views have the smaller kitchenettes. This room is also a good choice for those that are limited in climbing stairs.

It is true that we have not had a complaint that I know of about that bathroom curtain. However, I agree with the fact that it has not been mentioned before doesn’t mean it is not a problem and something that should be corrected. It is a light cloth curtain and could be improved on for privacy. We will work on that and also our customer service. Like everyone else, we have our bad moments in the office.

Thanks for taking the time to review our property and to provide feedback.

Dave Ferrari

Been to Ferrari's Crown Resort? Share your experiences!