“Great place, pool, right by the shore.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ferrari's Crown Resort

You added Ferrari's Crown Resort to your Saves list
Ferrari's Crown Resort
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   8200 N. Lake Blvd., Kings Beach, CA 96143 (Formerly the Gold Crest Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kings Beach
“Great place, pool, right by the shore.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

A lovely place, with helpful owners.

I would definitely recommend to friends.

There are 2 hot tubs- one inside, one out.

Try the crazy golf course up the road, it's great.

Room was perfectly clean, and great value.

• Stayed September 2012
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Bingothailand,

Thanks for the review and recommendation! I'm glad we could be of assistance to you during your stay, and it's great to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. Hope your golf score wasn't too high!

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Upland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Our family booked this property solely because of the information left on tripadvisor by previous guests. We were prepared for it to be an older property and for the rooms to be quite basic. We looked forward to staying at a property on the lake with a beach and pools for our girls (ages 7 and 9) and ourselves to enjoy at a reasonable price.

Because we booked our rooms the week before our arrival, room choice was quite limited. We were given a standard room that had an extra bedroom(perfect for the girls-we could put them to bed and still have the main room to ourselves). The nice thing about booking at Ferrari's is you can find out exactly what room you will be given. When we called to book, we were given detailed descriptions of each room type.

That being said, the only thing we were not prepared for was the absence of air conditioning! It was not explained to us that the particular room we chose (in an older part of the property) would not have air conditioning. It didn't cross my mind to ask whether they had it or not because I cannot remember the last time I booked a room without a/c! We were very disappointed because the room was hot and stuffy when we got there. We had a few other problems with the room upon entering and immediately called the front desk. The owner Dave immediately came to speak with us and brought an extra fan for the room and apologized for the problems we encountered. He explained how it cools down quite a bit at night (as it does!) and a/c is typically not needed. We didn't have a choice so we hoped for the best. Dave was accommodating and did his best to get our stay off to a good start.

Wow! We had such a great time! My kids absolutely loved staying at this property. The pools and the beach are right next to each other, so we could switch back and forth without walking too far. Every room is within a minute or two walk from the beach, so going back to the room for a snack or to use the restroom is not hassle. The sandy beach is perfect for playing in the sand (pack your sand toys!) and the lake is quite shallow for a distance that allows for kids to swim. The kayak and paddle board rentals right on the beach was very handy.

The refrigerator and microwave in our room was wonderful for snacks and light meals. The continental breakfast in the breakfast room that is offered was very convenient. The variety of bread, yogurt, cereals and coffee, tea, cocoa ( my girls daily morning treat!) and juice offer a basic breakfast to get the day started. The breakfast room is a nice place to chat with other guests in a family style atmosphere. It is not fancy. It feels homey. The only improvement I would like to see is a fruit basket with apples, bananas and oranges. If you would like gourmet coffee or something from a barrister, go a few steps east to the Java Hut.

Although our room did not have air, it really did stay comfortable and cool with the windows open and the fans on. It was a basic room with little aesthetic appeal and a small bathroom, but it was all we needed for the little time we spent in the room. The beds were extremely comfortable. They really should update the old bedspreads (like all properties need to!).

I wished the resort had a designated smoking area away from the rooms. Our last night at the property, a new guest moved in next door who happened to smoke. We had to decide whether to smell smoke or close our window that was providing cool air. There are ashtrays in the halls next to the rooms, which allow for smoking right next to the rooms. I hope the owners consider this problem for non-smokers, because we felt that we did not have a non-smoking room on our last night.

The staff at the front desk are very helpful and considerate. The maintenance staff are also very friendly. We enjoyed the feel of a 'family-owned property.' The general feel of the property is family-oriented and comfortable.

We hated to leave and look forward to returning. We live near the beach in Southern California and I would rather spend a week here than find a property at our crowded beaches in the summer. Ferrari's is a comfortable, relaxing, reasonably priced property that does not feel crowded even when it is sold out. The view of the lake from Ferrari's Beach is lovely, the water is great and the homey, casual, non-fussy feel made it the perfect place to stay with our children.

*Restaurants: We LOVED Jasons which is practically next door. Great food and music at night. They have a walk-up menu with cheap and easy food (hot dogs, ice cream sandwiches, etc.) you can grab when you're at the beach. We also loved the italian restaurant next to Safeway called Lanza's (about two blocks West of Ferrari's. Truly tasted homemade.
*Stuff to do with kids: Take day trip to Virginia City (stage coach rides, train rides, panning for gold..so much to do and lots of history for parents). River raft on the truckee (very mellow, self-guided). There is a small miniature golf just east of the resort and a larger, more elaborate miniature golf about 15 minutes west. Bring lots of sand toys. The sand makes great sand castles. Rent a paddle board. Even little ones can do it! The lake is nice and shallow, so you can follow them around while wading behind them.

Room Tip: Carefully read the room descriptions on the website as it seems each room is unique.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
mmm10,

Thank you so much for your review. It's really wonderful to hear TripAdvisor brought you to us, that's one of many reasons we love the site!

I'm very happy you and your family had a lovely stay with us. We pride ourselves on being a place the whole family can enjoy, whether it's frolicking in the sand at the beach or sharing a filling meal together. It makes me smile knowing you're having a good time. As you mentioned, there are plenty of places to explore nearby, and it sounds like you hit some of the best ones - great recommendations!

I do apologize again for any problems your room had, but I'm glad we could make it work. Due to a number of complaints during a seven-day warm spell this summer, we've began putting ceiling fans in our standard units where possible. Currently, we've been lighting our heater pilots since August as the nighttime temperatures drop.

We are also evaluating the establishment of an outside smoking policy. Smoking has become far less of an issue than it used to be, but we recognize it can still be a problem for some in our outside areas.

As always, we very much appreciate the feedback during and after your stay. Thank you again, and we'd love to have you back anytime!

Dave
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Small rooms tiny bathroom no air conditing and rude staff needs updating but is in a great location on a private beach resturants and shops neer by water sports near by as well jet skiing kayak rentals

• Stayed July 2012
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Jayindabay,

Thank you for leaving a review. I'm glad you like our location and proximity to a wide variety of activities, though I'm sorry the rooms weren't more pleasing to you.

Our resort is almost 50 years ago. The rooms reflect the style of that time, and many of our guests find it adds a certain charm. Obviously, not everyone agrees with that, so I apologize if the rooms seemed small. I'd also like to point out that some of our rooms do have air conditioning, just not all of them. Being right by the lake, the rooms are still very well circulated.

Thanks again for your review. I'm sorry if anything we did seemed rude - we certainly don't intend to be, and we'd love to have you back anytime. I know we'll really wow you!

Auburn, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

A few things to know about this family owned and family run motel; this a hidden gem in North Lake Tahoe. Very good restaurants in walking distance. Rite Aid is directly across the street. Best yet, the beach front is very nice with chairs and sandy area's. If you need to spend extra $$ for fancy digs check out Northstar of a few of the pricier properties nearby. If you want a nice safe homey place to stay in a fabulous location then this is your place. Lake side rooms have very nice views right on the water and worth the price.

Rooms are all different is size and style. They are clean and safe. Cable TV and refrigerators included.

Give this one a try!

Room Tip: Jason's has seating outside beach front and is steps away from the Crown. Steamers is closer yet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Califonian,

Thank you for your review. It's quite the honor to be deemed a "hidden gem!" Our location is definitely a perk - you're so close to great attractions while also within walking distance to the best lake around. I'm glad you had such a lovely stay, and you're welcome back anytime.

Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

You don't stay on the north shore of Lake Tahoe for 5 star accommodations (with a few exceptions). You go for a nostalgic, throwback to days when kids played mini-golf instead of video games, when family entertainment was a day at the beach, when you cooled off with ice pops instead of AC. Ferrari's is located right on the beach - albeit, a small beach. There is a larger public beach in walking distance and jetski/paddleboard rental is right nearby. On a partly cloudy day, it's nice to go from the small private beach to the swimming pool or hot tub a few steps away. We only stayed one night, made the most of the facilities, and didn't spend much time in the room - since that was the lowlight of Ferrari's.

Room Tip: I'd recommend you NOT stay in one of the properties that Ferrari's acquired -- those rooms a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
FOCO_10,

Thanks for leaving a review. We're glad to help bring things back to the good ol' days - we certainly agree a day on the beach can be quite fulfilling. I'm pleased you made the most of your stay, as well. There's plenty to do in the area, and it's great when guests explore and see the surrounding sights. Thanks again for the review.

Fremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Room:

We stayed in the lake front room no.362.They are very basic rooms with an extremely small bathroom and you are right on the lake.However, when I had seen the map, I thought we would be right on the beach ,which is not true. There are a few steps up to the main level from the beach and then the rooms are on the first floor from there.
There is no AC in the lake front rooms. I would say, you could pay for lake view instead of getting the lake front.

They have some nice hot tubs-one inside and one outside which is pretty neat
Breakfast is Bread,Bagels,Cereal,Tea,Coffee,Juice and Yogurt.
The 2nd day they dint even have the regular bagel.Only the raisin bread which no one in our group ate..

Service:
This motel is only for the location,location and location.Do not expect any service.
When I called the front desk to get coffee creamer, they asked me to come get it myself.
The lady at the front desk was very rude.and unwelcoming.
Also,I had reserved for 1 night and just inquired about rates and availability for the 2nd night, but when I got there ,the lady said I had to take both nights or pay for cancellation of the 2nd night.I tried explaining her but she wouldnt listen.We ended up staying 2 nights.
Our late checkout request was granted -they gave us until 11.30 instead of 11..:)
Maid service was provided to clean rooms.

Value:
I would have liked to pay not more than $120 for the lake front rooms, instead of the $189 that we paid.But the satisfaction was the awesome lake view, and accessibility to it.Also, the beach there us pretty neat and there is a lot of water activities( you have to pay for it) available right there.Tell them you are staying at Ferrari's and they give you a discount.

They can do a much better job with the awesome property they have.

Room Tip: The lake front and lake view rooms seem to be of equal value
Neha,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your view and the beach, although I'm sorry your experience wasn't better overall.

It is not true that all of the Lake Front rooms do not have air conditioning. While yours did not, there are a few that come equipped with AC. You can visit our website to see the full list.

We take a lot of pride in this resort, and want to ensure our guests have the best stay possible. Our proximity to the lake certainly helps with that, but hearing about lackluster service doesn't sit well with me. It's not typical of us - please feel free to give me a call at the number below and we can try to sort things out.

800.645.2260
San Carlos, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The location is beautiful right on the lake. Two pools seem appealing, but are not very clean. Guests seem to have utter disregard for cleanliness, and there is no staff allocted (seemingly) to keeping the pool area and small beach clean. The beach is small, and very convenient, there is an abundance of old ratty lounge chairs with a sprinkling of new lounge chairs. Litter, cigarette butts detract from the beautiful view. Room has no AC and only one VERY small window and a fan for ventilation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ferrari8200, Owner at Ferrari's Crown Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Donoghue4,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our location, though I'm sorry your experience overall wasn't perfect.

We do our best to keep everything clean and looking great. We've thrown out the worst of the lawn chairs, and thanks to your feedback we've assigned more responsibility to cleaning the beach. While we haven't had another complaint about the pool, we've informed the staff, so that shouldn't happen in the future.

Some of our rooms have air conditioning, though not all do. Those rooms still usually get good ventilation, and I apologize if they didn't during your stay. AC is necessary in Tahoe for only about a 10 day period each summer. In fact, we've recently gotten several requests to light pilots on gas heaters.

Thanks again for your review and comments. They're helpful as we continue working to improve.

Owner

Been to Ferrari's Crown Resort? Share your experiences!