“New Management is trying hard” 3 of 5 stars

Sun-n-Sand Lodge
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   8308 North Lake Blvd., Kings Beach, CA 96143   |
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Kings Beach
CA
“New Management is trying hard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed with my wife and 2 small daughters on a Saturday layover.
We were the last to arrive and since the parking was full, they gave us the check-in space up front. The room needed updating, but was clean.
In the morning, my girls hit the beach while still chewing their breakfast. The beach is beautiful, with soft sand and still water.
The new management was very nice and family-friendly. They even provided my girls with some water toys to use on the lake.

If this place could be updated, just a little, it could be quite nice.

Room Tip: Second floor is quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

i booked on hotel.com review stated temperpedic mattress it was not checked in close to 2:pm
room not ready it took them about 20 to 25 minutes to clean was then able to check in after they
check the room got into room and had to ask for the toilet paper and was told that the towels were in the washer and they were low on towels would bring up when done this was around 2:30
and around 4:30 my husband went down to see about towels and was told they were in the dryer and would bring them up later never saw them

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The hotel was over priced and the rooms were something out of a truck stop motel. The bed was hard as a rock and sheets felt like a polyester suit. It was close to the beach and a bar which we spent all of our time at anyway. I would recommend if it was between that and the Falcon One (creepy motel next door) but a little due diligence in picking a hotel BEFORE you leave makes a big difference :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reno
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My family has come to this place for years. Thought of it as shabby but its at the lake! This time we showed up at a little after noon. The live in manager said she had to charge a early check in fee. But demanded that it be cash and wouldn't put it on my card with the rest of the bill. If this was a twenty year old kid and they had to go clean the room for me I would have tipped no problem. This was the MANAGER scamming! The rooms were already clean. The hot tub didn't open till 4pm and we didn't go in because of green scum in it. I am more than annoyed at paying $270 for two rooms and will never go back! Don't do it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

This place should be rated a 1/2 star. It is absolutely disgusting. They don't even have sheets to fit the beds. Also they charged an additional 20 dollars on my credit card for no reason and when I called to discuss why Matt told me he is just the maintenance guy he couldn't do anything about it to call back. Very very dissatisfied. Never again..The spa they advertise isn't even in working condition.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

This place is very poorly run. Creepy stoned guy (Matt) at the front desk did nothing to remedy the fact that when I got my credit card statement he not only charged me for my room, but also someone elses room for twice as much. Kept saying he would tell accounting and would not give me a number to "accounting" so that I could straighten it out myself. After months of attempting to get this charge reversed, I told him I needed accounting to call me today or I would have to dispute the charge. He took it personally and pretty much childishly hung up on me. Go w/your first instincts on this place.....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We looked at this place and decided not to stay. The guy who worked there was quite nice and showed us a few of their rooms. The place is right on the water, and much less (MUCH LESS) expensive than all of its competitors, and is right next to a place where you can rent water gear (paddleboards, etc). We were quoted $69 a night for a room with two queen beds when everyone else was charging between $139 - $179 a night.

We didn't end up staying there because the place was run down and not especially clean. The carpets were stained, and windows coverings were skimpy, and I was travelling with my family and I had other options.

Just a word of caution for people traveling to this area - you really need to see the motel/hotel room you plan to stay at before you book! This is not an area full of reliable name-brand hotels. We looked at quite a few motels on this patch of beach and a lot of them have seen better times.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun-n-Sand Lodge? Share your experiences!