“A Sad, Smoky Decline into (at best) Mediocrity” 1 of 5 stars

Noboribetsu Grand Hotel
154 Noboribetu Onsencho, Noboribetsu 059-0592, Hokkaido (Noboribetsu Onsen)   |
4.0 of 5 stars 288 Reviews
Kaneohe, HI
“A Sad, Smoky Decline into (at best) Mediocrity”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I came here some years ago and totally enjoyed my stay. Imagine my dismay when I arrived on my latest trip to find that, although the facility is beautiful, and the lobby (especially) elegant, the reek(!!!) of stale cigaret smoke was appalling. That other reviewer that said they didn't have any problem must either have been a life-long smoker or in another hotel. I could hardly breathe and although I had noted the sulphur smell the last time, it was totally overpowered by the smoke! If you have any aversion to cigaret smell, please, please stay FAR away from this place.

I would say, at best, that the staff was either uncaring or churlish. When I asked someone to do what they could to deodorize my room, a young lady came in to do it, and as a parting gesture shouted "Baka" (which means "STUPID") as she left my room. The only one who even tried to help me was a front desk woman who tried to get me connected to WiFi when the system went down (and, as someone else has said) you have to go to the lobby to be connected.

The buffet? Oh my, did you have to ask? This was a disaster for me. Some of the food was tasty, when you could get it, but just try to get it! Another reviewer said they had no trouble with tour groups, but when I was there each and every time I tried to get something at the buffet line I was immediately inundated with (I think) the Chinese tour group that was totally SWARMING the place. I believe they had been told to swarm as close to me and keep me from getting to anything. Once I asked if I could have a beer for my drink and the serving woman emphatically yelled "NO!" No explanation was given why, so I went back to my room and smuggled two miniature bottles of rum and got a coke. You figure it out.

Then I went to the bar at which I had had such a nice time the last time I was here. There were three men in the bar and a woman bartender and, instead of the friendly bartender I had last time, these four people chatted away without even acknowledging my presence. When I left, they gave me a sarcastic "good riddance" kind of wave.

To sum it all up, although I agree with comments about their rotenburo and other onsen facilities, this is a place better off missed. I'm sure there are other NICE hotels in Noboribetsu. This, nowadays, is definitely not one of them.

In a word: (to quote General MacAuliffe) NUTS!

Room Tip: Good luck with getting a good room! Just TRY to get something that doesn't reek of smoke. And...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

there's a variety of different type of onsen frm salt to sulphur to iron, big & small total around 8 pools. The outdoor onsen can see a waterfall & nice garden. They swop the man & women onsen the next day so i get to c 2 different onsen. It's very near to the 7-11 in the shopping street & 15mins walk to Jikogudani. Great service where staffs speaks gd english & carry ur luggage to ur room for u, guide ur parkin etc

Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Hotel was dated and had a mixed odor of cigarette smoke and sulphur from onsen. We are of the opinion that this scent was itself built in with the Hotel resulting from many years of operation. Though the standard Japanese room we had was small, there was a rectangular sitting area near the window which added a pleasant feel. The room was neat, tidy and clean and the bedding was comfortable. The small size of the room was well compensated with the large and spacious onsen with various pools of iron, sulphur and salt, each claimed to have different healing components; a must try for all.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Front staff weren't friendly, which is uncommon for Japanese service and was totally unexpected. We were already unimpressed. The rest of the staffs were fine. We stayed in a Japanese style room for 4 adults. They provided us with both hot water for making tea and iced water which we liked, along with some afternoon snack. The room was good. The onsen was also very good, spacious with 3 different types of baths(salt, iron, sulphur). The buffet dinner was pretty good, we really enjoyed the desserts line. Breakfast however, wasn't too great as some dishes seem to have been prepared for too long prior to serving (eg. the rock hard salmon fillets)

Good location as well, right next to the bus station.

The only downside had to be the front staff service.

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

It is one of the huge Onsen resort hotels you can find in Noboribetsu area. We chose buffet option for our dinner. While there were many to choose from, there were no signature dishes and you feel like you just become yourself full. Nothing fault nothing special. The Noboribetsu Onsen is one of the best Onsen in Japan so you might want to think for a day usage then you can just use their Onsen Spa facility while staying in a city hotel in Sapporo and eat delicious Hokkaido dishes in a local Sushi or Izakaya restaurant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed a night in Noboribetsu Grand hotel on the way from Sapporo to Hakodate.
We booked a Japanese room for 4adults.
Room decor a bit aged but otherwise quite clean.
Separate toilet and bath room next to each other with the sink just outside.
Hotel has no non smoking rooms but there is an air purifier in the room so we had no problems with stale tobacco smell in our room.
No Internet in the rooms but free wifi is available in the lobby.
Get the password from the front desk.
Booked the plan with buffet dinner and breakfast and found the food to be very tasty.
Having stayed at a few onsen hotels before throughout Hokkaido, I must say that even though there wasn't as many variety of food as some other hotels, they were tasty and emphasize on the fresh local produce that Hokkaido is famous for.
There were a variety of baths targeting different ailments ranging from sulphur bath to iron bath...
The outdoor bath has a view of a small waterfall.
We did see some tour groups during our stay but considering that this was non peak period and a weekday, the hotel wasn't overly crowded.
The hotel is within walking distance to the shops around Noboribetsu but we didn't find anything of interest in the shops.
Perhaps because they all seem to sell the same souvenirs that you find in all the major tourist attractions.
Overall, a pretty good hotel to stay in provided it isn't overrun with tour groups.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed in Grand Hotel for 1 night after my ski trip in Niseko & I booked the hotel thru' the hotel website. I recommend this hotel because:

1/ Relative cheap, compared with the price for similar type of onsen hotel in the area. 21300 yen a japanese style room for 2 persons. Price includes 'bathing fee', tax, 2 cash vouchers that worth 1050 yen that you can use anywhere in the hotel (I used them to buy souvenirs), buffet dinner & breakfast.

2/ Buffet dinner / breakfast with good choice of food, of course including all you can eat crab legs. The meals can suit almost everybody in all nationality coz of the wide choice. The food quality is not the top, but meet expectation.

3/ Noboribetsu is famous for 3 types of onsen (sulfur, salt & iron). Grand hotel got them all indoor and sulfur & salt (i guess) outdoor. Outdoor onsen is very relaxing.

4/ Near to the bus terminal, you don't need to carry the luggage and walk for too long after getting off the bus.

5/ The hotel and the room is a bit dated, but clean. I stayed in Hokkaido for 10 days and I slept the best in Grand Hotel.

6/ Staff is helpful and friendly, though can't speak english very well.

7/ You can buy discounted tickets of bear farm and Date Jidaimaru from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Noboribetsu Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!