“I used to stay here last month, it is a comfortable hotel, friendly staffs. I will come back again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Sand Hotel

You added Golden Sand Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Sand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. 23 Tola, Modol 4 | Khan Mittapheap, Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Sihanoukville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

I like golden sand hotel. Freindly staff, good service, good location. Popular hotel.

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012 via mobile

This is my first time . I really enjoy my time but from the beginning upon arrival it have no room to check in . but it's metter . The staff front desk staff very helpfull he organize and looking us for the bus ticket and call to us by phone .

Thanks we will back again

• Stayed March 2012
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We booked this hotel through Agoda. We arrived around 9pm from a very long bus trip from Siem Reap via Phnom Penh. The check in staffs were polite but not a smile or even not very welcoming. The check in took a bit of time (it is as though it was complicated). We requested a room on an elevated floor but was only given on the second floor facing the backside of the hotel.
The room itself is pretty basic. Nothing to brag about. The decor was tacky and very simple. The feel of the bed was great though - firm-ish and easy to sleep on. The toilet is basic and simple but stinky. Apparently there were having sewage problems. Nonetheless, it stinks. The airconditioning functioned ok but asked to change the remote should there be a problem because ours did.The chambermaids were too eager to come and clean up the room in the morning even though we asked them to come back in 10 minutes, they stood outside waiting for us which then automatically forces us to get dressed in record time - I guess this is more of cultural issues.
The hotel is very much central and very easy access to the beach - walking distance. Apparently for the tuk² driver this hotel is well-known for its big swimming pool - which we never get to use. See tip at the end of this review.
3 or 4 stars hotel? More like 1 1/2 star hotel to me.
In general - tacky and stinky hotel. Don't bother spending your USD if you have other choices.

Room Tip: I suppose good rooms are facing the swimming pool and/or on the elevated floor facing the beach. Not...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I asked for a non smoking room when I booked, maybe they don't have that but it was like a chain smoker just left my room after staying there a month.

In my part of the building there was this 40+ group Vietnamese people who liked shouting in the corridor just in front of my room while an hour later their kids were occupying the swimming pool screaming so loud I could hardly read a book INSIDE my room.

Staff had a habit of gathering around my door also to talk their gossip at 7 AM waking me up.

I moved out after 2 nights and found heaven across the street for 10 dollar i.s.o. 33 $...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

The Golden Sand has as many Cambodians staying there as foreigners. It is 2 blocks from Ochheuteal Beach and a bit back from the noisy bars and food shacks on the beach itself. The hotel is probably better for older travelers who no longer spend each evening beer binging and pot smoking. The hotel is elegantly appointed, with a great lobby. The staff for the most part were very friendly, although their level of English was minimal. It was good enough for me to be able to borrow an extension cord and a hair dryer. My standard room was very nice, very clean, comfortable twin beds, had a good working air conditioner, a small refrigerator, tv with both CNN and BBC, a wireless connection and a good size bathroom with a shower in the bathtub and very hot water. The hotel has a swimming pool, an unusual treat. I walked along the beach/shore line several times and ate in the restaurants on the beach, but tended to leave to go back to the hotel by 8:00 when things got noisy.
When I booked the hotel thru an Asian booking site, it said that breakfast was $3. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told I was "wrong" and that breakfast was $5. I did not eat breakfast at the hotel. There are so many small restaurants in the area that that was not a problem. Only negative: sometimes the bathroom had a slight smell probably due to the recirculation of air throughout the bathrooms of the hotel.

Room Tip: My standard room faced the back and did not have a very nice view but then you get what you pay for...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is a typical larger hotel that's starting to age (our bathtub had come away from the wall so we had a leak on the floor every time we took a shower). But the staff made up for it by customarily responding the first time we asked for something. There's only one small elevator, so plan to use the stairs much of the time. The pool is large and great for swimming laps if you go at a time when it isn't full of people. The hotel is a destination for tour buses, so depending on the day, you can be overwhelmed for breakfast in the dining room. The breakfast is OK, but not inspiring. However, we ate several lunches with a group and had wonderfully prepared food.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

this hotel is very unlike most of the other hotels and accomodation in the area, its is very large and attractive and the reception area is beautiful. it is therefore more expensive than most other places, but it is still really very very cheap, and if you are not on a budget it is defintately worth it. we had a large comfortable room, with all the mod cons, and a large bathroom. There is a nice pool and it is only a short wlak from the beach, and loads of lovely bars and places to eat in all directions.
i wouldnt recommend the breakfast (it is cheaper to have a room without) if you want a western style breakfast as there are loads of places nearby with more choice and even cheaper.
the only thing i would say is the hotel staff dont have very good english, this isnt a problem at all, except my purse got stolen, and it was a bit of a nightmare trying to sort it out. but that said the staff are lovely, and overall i would definately recommend this hotel. (also I think I was unlucky with my purse as the area doesnt feel unsafe at all, and the hotel does actually have security)

Room Tip: ask for a pool view
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Sand Hotel? Share your experiences!