“New propertu, quiet, great service, great deal” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Big Breakfast Now.
Ranked #33 of 168 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Canada
“New propertu, quiet, great service, great deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Don't be turned off by the fact that this place doesn't have a lot of reviews yet, neither on TA nor on Agoda, as it only just opened a few months ago. Everything was top-notch, and we would have stayed another week or two if we didn't already have tickets booked to leave Cambodia that we couldn't change.

We stayed at the Tamarind for two weeks in one of their newly finished poolside rooms. The hotel has everything you would want out of a small boutique operation: pool, breakfast inclusws and bar service (restaurant can provide a simple lunch too until 15:00), good linens, hot water and modern bathroom fixtures, large flat-screen TV, fridge, A/C and fan. The pool rooms have small patios with chairs and table, but there is also plenty of room to sit around the restaurant or the pool too. Breakfast included is eggs anyway you like, juice or fruit plate, toast and jam, with coffee or tea. You can order other extras for an additional economical fee.

The staff cleaned the room every day without fail, and in general, were very friendly. As for the location, it is a very short walk to the beach (around 5 minutes or one block) and even better, so close to Khin's Shack (#49), which is a favourite of foreign tourists with their English-speaking staff, 50 cent beers, and cheap seafood. A mini-mart is also a quick 5 minute walk away to buy juice and water.

It was so quiet we often slept in until 9:00!

The hotel itself indicates it is a 3-star, but I would give it 5-stars based on our experience, and we look forward to returning in the future.

On price: I note the previous TA negative review about another reviewer meeting the owner, but having met the owner numerous times during our two-week stay, I cannot honestly see him giving anyone the run around. He is nothing but straightforward and only concerned about ensuring his clients have a good stay. I should note though that when we researched the Tamarind online before we chose to stay there, we were quoted $42 dollars on Agoda, but when we went in person to enquire about the price of the same room and check out the hotel, we were quoted $60 dollars at first by the manager, who is not the owner (which is their listed price on their website). He proceeded to offer $42 as a "special rate" only when we mentioned we would likely stay for a week (or more). In the end, we booked the first few days on Agoda and got the better price (which means you don't have to stay for a week to get the better rate), and paid the hotel directly for the rest of the stay at the Agoda rate. Having checked out a number of different hotels in Sihanoukville in person before deciding on the Tamarind (which was hands down the best we saw at the $42 rate), we found the web rate quoted by Agoda was often cheaper than the walk-in rate, so in general, it pays to shop around on the web ahead of time, even if you're going in person to see prospective properties.

Room Tip: The pools rooms are great - we had #18 and loved it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear EatnDrinknRoam,
Thank you so much for your kind review. As for the room rate Agoda publishes a net rate exclusive of the 21% government tax and service charge. If you add the 21% you will pay and you did pay the $42 we charged you for stay. The Manager made a mistake when he quoted the $60 rack rate. Of course, we must and do match our published offers on booking.com and Agoda. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I met a European woman drinking coffee who said she got a long-term rate at this joint for $350/mo. She said she should have bargained more, but she liked the place and didn't know better.

I went by the next morning, and the owner wasn't in. In fact, no one was around but a maid that spoke no English.

So I went the next day. The owner showed me a room on the ground floor with no windows and less privacy and quoted $1000/mo. I guess I impressed him.

But I wasn't impressed. I told him I wanted more privacy. He showed me another room with a window--to the inside of the lobby. Nice. I guess this guy thinks I'm stupid.

He said there would be suites available in two months that were more expensive, laughed and said, "But I can get more for them if I rent them daily and not monthly."

I'm a business man, too, and I've learned never to think my customers are more stupid than I am.

I won't go back to this place.

Email this guy. You won't get a straight answer about his rates.

Room Tip: The area isn't bad. Lots of good restaurants down the street, and it's only a couple street...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
As much as I understand that bargain hunters always look for the best rooms at the lowest price your review is completely inappropriate. I suppose there was a misunderstanding on your part. I don't really know who you talked to. I am the owner and I don't recall meeting you. For someone who didn't even stay at the hotel to find out what we have to offer you wrote a rather lengthy and factually wrong review. This is very regrettable.
Here are some straight answers to the straight questions you didn't ask.
We have a set price policy for different categories of rooms as published. We are a new hotel and the 10 Deluxe rooms at the swimming pools were just finished at the end of January, much sooner than we expected.
The guests who rented our suites in the villa in November got special monthly rates as there were no amenities available yet and the duration of construction was expected to last well into March. They were willing to put up with this. All these guests are staying with us for at least 6 months and are quite happy, I might add.
We do have occasional special published offers, e. g. introductory rates, as you can see on this website. The room without windows (which I don't recall showing to you) is a staff room. The inside room you refer to is the economy room at $25 in low, and $35 in high season. The monthly rental for that room is $250 in low and $350 in high season, a steal if you look what you are getting. We have one suite with a kitchen that rents for $850/month in high season. You may have mixed up the prices. Come back and let me convince you that we don't run a joint but a 3-star hotel.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were only supposed to stay in Sihanoukville and at the Tamarind for three days but we loved it so much we stayed 6 days. The hotel is super cute and clean. The owner was great, the manager was great, the staff was great and the food is excellent especially the burgers. The pool is absolutely perfect- the atmosphere here is perfect. It is about a three minute walk straight ahead to the beach and a three minute walk to the right to a row of restaurants. Its in Ochheuteal Beach in between Serendipity Beach and Otres Beach. We felt completely safe walking at night and the hotel has a night guard on duty. We really loved everything about the hotel and enjoyed meeting other people staying there. This hotel is a must if you are traveling to Sihanoukville.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Klaus E, Owner at The Tamarind, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Sorry for posting a late response to your review. You would have deserved it sooner, being so graceful to write only good things about us. We do value guests like you and hope to see you again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel from 7 to 8 February 2014. This hotel has such as beautiful bedroom with pool view, breakfast is really delicious, Staffs are so friendly and helpful. I am able to have my breakfast on the deck of swimming pool. This new hotel is so clean and peaceful (not noisy). And it is so close to the beach which is around 100 meters distance. I have chance to meet with the owner of this hotel, Mr. Klaus Engelhardt, who is very friendly and sympathetic. I am sure I will come to The Tamarind Hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Tamarind? Share your experiences!