“Great Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sokha Beach Resort

You added Sokha Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sokha Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Street 2 Thnou, Sangkat 4, Mittapheap Dist., Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
“Great Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My second trip back to Sihanouk Ville- Great new blue umbrellas around the pool, The Deck- the staff seemed much friendlier than a year ago- I heard they have a new ferry to Koh Rong which only takes 30 minutes or so- kudos to the manager of the resort- I will most certainly return

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Nice hotel to spend some days on the beach in Cambodia. It is a big hotel, but as we stayed in one of the water chalets, we did not have the impression to stay in a big resort. Only during breakfast time, you could see the "crowds". I read some of the other comments about moskitoes and I have to say that it is not worse than any where else in Cambodia.
The hotel's private beach is clean and very calm.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We try to avoid large hotels in our travels (too many disappointing experiences), but decided to book here because we wanted to end the last 5 days of a 2-week Cambodia itenary at a place with a clean private beach (and only Sokha Beach could offer that or was available) and facilities and restaurants where we did not have to set foot off the premises. After driving from Phnom Penh to Siem Raep to Battambang and then to Sokha Beach, and doing the top 'tourist' attractions in the worst month (i.e. April) of the year to visit Cambodia, the Resort offered us and our teenage boys exactly what we needed.
The PRIVATE BEACH was always CLEAN (they probably addressed it after some reviews on TA). Very nice clean, comfortable and equipped rooms (Executive Suite). We had a couple of GREAT SPA treatments. The BEST of the Resort is the LEMONGRASS/THE DECK restaurant - one of the best restaurants we have been to in the world (superb cuisine, service, ambience, 'on' the beach - went there every day regardless the prices).
Buffet breakfast - Wide selection and good quality which we enjoyed (normally we don't) except for the burnt coffee. Waiters need training. We didn't like the food of Lotus restaurant, so we ended up paying extra every day to go to Lemongrass. Room service is also good.

On-site watersports agency - disappointing to find that the jetskiing was NOT free as we thought at the time of booking. It was extremely pricy and they only had 1 jetski left at the time, so we never used it. We took a private boat tour through them which we enjoyed a lot - our excellent local (English-speaking) guide took us to some snorkeling spots and around some islands and we paid per hour and could go where we wanted.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Executive Suite which was fantastic for me, my husband and our 2 boys. It has 3 roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sokha Beach in Sihanoukville for 6 nights at the beginning of May. Overall we had a good experience, the beach is beautiful and really quiet so if you are going for a gorgeous clean beach to relax on then this is your place. The price of the room was pretty reasonable for the standard of the cleanliness, the amenities etc. However, the resort lacks personality. The staff that work there are nice enough but do not go out of their way to help you - they basically just do the bare minimum. Also, the food here is not great and really overpriced for what it is so I would avoid eating it when possible. It is hard to avoid a lot of the time because the hotel is in quite a secluded place - you would have to take a tuk tuk to go anywhere else which isn't convenient if you're just looking to chill out by the pool or beach. I would recommend getting snacks and drinks and storing them in your hotel room so that you can take them to the beach with you as drink is also really over priced here, especially water. They also have a gym here which has really good, modern equipment but the air conditioning is really poor in the gym and they have the doors open all day which lets the heat in. Seems strange that the only room they dont have a cool temperature is the one that you definitely need it in! Overall a pleasant stay but I'm not sure if I would go back here other than to use the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've stayed a Sokha twice since I have lived in Cambodia. Both of my experiences there were great. The resort is situated on some prime real estate in Sihanoukville with quite a large tract of private beach. I will always stay at Sokha anytime I am in the area and just looking to relax in luxury.

Service- The staff and management are very service oriented. The excellent service started from before checkout with a delicious welcome drink and followed through my stays in all my interaction with the staff. The only time I ever ran into any service related issues was on my first trip there. My room was not ready almost an hour after the advertised check-in time. Normally, I would have expected to be upgraded immediately. Instead, the front desk agent tried to get me to take a room with two double beds instead. As soon as I said "no", I believe the agent should have gone straight to his supervisor to solve the problem. Instead I ended up having to speak with the duty manager who immediately upgraded me to one of the Water Chalets. I was very happy with the outcome, it just could have happened without me having to ask to speak to the duty manager. I've never had any other similar issues.
Rooms- I have stayed in both a Chalet as well as a King Room above the main lobby. I was very happy with both. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. Housekeep does a great job and is very friendly.
Grounds- The resort's grounds and common areas are quite expansive. On balance they are very well maintained. I've noticed a few unkempt blades of grass, but nothing that distracted from the overall experience.
Food and Beverage- The F&B is excellent. There are several different restaurants spread around the grounds that cater to diverse tastes. I personally enjoyed the sushi and tapas at "The Deck." The brownie there is also excellent. The breakfast buffet is also amazing. Make sure to go to the gym before you eat breakfast. You will want as big an appetite as possible to enjoy the spread. Just keep in mind that on busy holidays and weekends, you might want to eat very early or towards the end of the service. The buffet gets very crowded. On occasion, I have ordered dishes at some of the restaurants that were on the menu but not available. This did not occur often by Cambodia Standards though. Generally, what you see on the menu is what you can get.
Spa- I did indulge in a massage and detox bath during my second trip. The staff was quite professional and friendly. My masseuse spoke excellent English and made the entire experience quite comfortable. It was the best spa experience I have had in Cambodia. I will definitely visit the spa again in the future.
Activities- My second visit to the Sokha Beach Resort was during Khmer New Year 2013. I was very impressed with the activities they planned around the holiday. Each night during the weekend there was a wonderful buffet/gala presented. The price was very reasonable. The food was excellent and the traditional Khmer Dance show was also a delight to watch. I also enjoyed the paper lantern lighting event that the management hosted. Each guestroom was provided with a paper lantern that all the guests then lit and sent aloft together on the beach one night. It was definitely a memorable experience. There were several other events throughout the holiday weekend that included traditional Khmer dances and ceremonies. I really enjoyed seeing them.
Overall- Sokha Beach is a wonderful place to kick back and relax. The hotel's greatest weakness is that it does not have any comparable competition in Sihanoukville. This lack of competition probably has held it back in the past from becoming a truly top-notch beach resort. However, It is still a great resort and it is very clear that management and staff are improving the place every day. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Water Chalets are a great romantic choice for couples looking to get away from it all for a few...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have been disappointed by this hotel as it has not met our expectations, it has so much promise. The common areas are nice (although they could turn some lights on occasionally) and the pool area, in particular, we enjoyed. However, it is a shame that they close it at 7pm because it would be great to be able to swim in the warm evenings. The food was generally pretty good, but again, we were disappointed that two out of three of us ended up unwell after eating (only at the hotel). The hotel would be a great place to bring kids as it is well set up for them with pool and play ground. Service was friendly BUT it was clear that there were some customers who received attention to the point that we were left unattended. Clearly our money was not the same. The rooms were not what they appeared on the internet, somewhat dated and if you are a light sleeper they are noisy (and that was when not many people were staying here).

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with a 'sea view' but to be honest if you have to pay more don't. T...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Sokha for our first part of the honeymoon. We had a long drive from the airport to the resort 3.5 hours I was shattered. On arrival the male at the front desk just said "what do you want". I was slightly alarmed by his reaction. Once I informed him we wanted to check in he took our passports and checked us in. For a 5 start hotel in the blazing heat I think drinks should be offered or even a cold towel considering it was 34 degrees!. Also staff on the front desk should be warm and smiling. The girls looked really happy but the males looked fed up and angry.

Apart from this one thing everything else was perfect the hotel was clean and peaceful all other staff were attentive and always greeted you the food was exceptionally tasty. One more thing they have a really good gym.

Cambodia

Stayed May 2013

Been to Sokha Beach Resort? Share your experiences!