“Best in town - 4 star grounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sokha Beach Resort

You added Sokha Beach Resort to your Saves list
Sokha Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Street 2 Thnou, Sangkat 4, Mittapheap Dist., Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Greensborough Australia
“Best in town - 4 star grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is beautiful, perfectly positioned, has a casino and ready access to numerous tuk tuks out the front to take you into Serrindippity Beach or the markets or wherever. A 1.2 kilometre long private beach with beach bars at either end and a magnificent pool also with a swim up bar. The rooms are great with big bathrooms and huge beds. This place of all the hotels we looked at on a very long beach walk from Sokha Beach to Victory Beach was clearly the best. But to be five star you have to be perfect and I know it's pettey but the grounds were a little run down and could use some attention.
The hotel is huge and has three different areas. The main Hotel, the villa's and the lake area. When we were there the lake area was abandonded. It is truly beautiful with brilliant facilities but it was empty, so sad to see but until the airport gets bigger and begins taking more flights there will continue to be empty hotels. Stick with the Sokha which is reasonably priced and he best of the lot. Get and ocean view or pool view room for the best outlook from your balcony

Room Tip: If you go to the casino drinks are free while you are gambling. Serrindippity Beach for dinner and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
HCMC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

It is a huge place and is managed quite efficiently. The property is mostly clean except for some areas in the lake which smells a bit. but once inside the room, it just does not matter. You will need to move around in a shuttle golf cart - but this is very efficiently managed so you really do not feel this as a handicap. It is little pricey but you will still feel you got more than what you bargained for. It has a private beach, children's play area and a beautiful gym. A good place for a relaxed holiday if you are here on business and don't have the time in the resort, it might sound expensive.
Breakfast is very good as well.

Room Tip: Lake view may not be a good option as there is a stink in some parts, ask a map to be sent first to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Out of our seven different hotels in Laos and Cambodia this was by far our least favourite. It was hard to imagine that just a few hours earlier we were leaving the wonderful Verandah Natural Resort in Kep - oh, how I wished we'd stayed.
Not that we didn't want to visit Sihanoukville, we did. Travelling all this way to Cambodia we felt compelled to spend at least a couple of nights here but I almost wished we'd paid a few dollars a night for a cheap guesthouse.
We arrived in the middle of a torrential downpour and found ourselves in the cavernous lobby area. Our rooms were on the second floor and, whilst large, completely lacked any character. We felt we were in a typically large sprawling resort complex. However, we had done plenty of research beforehand and intended to spend our two evenings at the more lively Serendipity/Ocheteaul beaches, only returning to the Sokha Beach resort to sleep. Unfortunately the torrential rain continued and we ended up trapped in the resort all evening.
The following day we walked along the road to Serendipity Beach and, whilst busy, had a more carefree atmosphere despite being approached constantly for the usual manicures and hair braiding.
We returned in the evening and it was wonderful to sit on the beach lined with restaurant barbecues, exploding fire crackers and general commotion - such a contrast to the sterility of the previous night.
The Sokha Beach resort wasn't all bad. The beach was clean with a crescent of lovely white sand and the breakfast at the resort was extremely good and varied, however I wished we'd skipped this last leg of the holiday and remained in Kep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I spend 9 days at the Sokha Beach resort and we can say it sure as hell ain't worth all that money. Before we came to Sihanoukville we stayed in Siem Reap for a couple of nights where we paid 38 euro's a night in a 4 star hotel and slept in one of the suites! Here we paid 110 dollars a night and all we got was an very noisy room (you could clearly here the other guests and the a/c was also making the weirdest noises) and an outdated bathroom with mold stains!The prices at the poolbar are ridiculous. For a bottle of local water (1500ml) you pay almost 4 dollar and if you want Evian you pay over 7 dollar! (in the supermarket you pay 50 cents for a bottle of local water). We asked for a breakfast box once cause we were going on an excursion and the guy behind the reception told me, since we were leaving around 9 we could get up earlier to eat breakfast at the restaurant......seriously???? I'm on holiday and I don't need anyone telling me how late I should eat my breakfast! Besides, I'm usually not that hungry when I'm just awake....the beach was beautiful but that's it. Next time we visit Sihanoukville we'll look for another place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I really don't know where to start on this one. We have lived in the country a few years and stayed at this place a total of three times. Being expats in Cambodia many regularly goes to the coast, either to Kep or to Sihanoukville. This time we had visitors from our home country and they wanted to stay at a place with a large pool. So we decided to give Sokha another chance, we shouldn't. First of all the resort comprises of two compounds nowadays, but the reception and restaurant in the far one (where we stayed) were closed. We had to go and have breakfast at the other restaurantm, that's a long walk in the heat. They did have golf carts to shuttle people but those weren't enough. The buffet wasn't enough for all those people so we ended up having some scraps that were left on the plates. Coffee was cold when served, we repeatedly asked for hot coffee and extra knives and forks without any luck. OK, that could have been a one time incident.

Moving on, the rooms are ok in size and cleanliness, but not five star as they claim to be. It's like they haven't seen a five star hotel, let alone don't have a clue what five star means. The A/C isn't enough to dry up the air in the rooms, and now it's the dry season. I can tell you it's even worse during rainy season.

The beach is very beautiful, but there is no service down there... Why?

Parking, there is a large parking lot behind the far complex, but it's almost empty as most of the rich locals wants to show off their expensive cars and importance and therefore parks right in front of the (closed) reception and ends up being in the way for people passing through and forced us that parked on the assigned parking to drive over the grass to get out. Maybe this is charming for western tourists, but this behaviour is very annoying for us that lives here.

Everything is expensive, explanation - Five star!. Well, they should have a look at Shangri La in Jakarta or someplace similar. It doesn't have to be expensive to be good.

Check in and check out doesn't work properly with lines building up very quickly.

The wooden deck surrounding the pool and also functions as walkways along the rooms is already dried up and big nails sticking out making it a hazard, especially for young children. I am sure that in other countries, this would the place to be shut down until they fixed it. They just don't seem to care about it , until a rich local gets injured I should probably add.

This place is poorly managed and it's obvious that the owner is running the place with a minimum of (untrained) staff to squeeze out as much money as possible.

No take your money elsewhere. Consider Sihanoukville to be a mid to low range resort town and book yourself into one of the very nice a and better priced family hotels that are available. Coolabah for instance. Standard there is not the best, but the service and food is fantastic and at a great value and they have a small pool also that is sufficient for children and for yourself to cool off.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed at Sokha Beach Resort on 8 - 10 March. I had booked a Lakeside Deluxe room. Things did not start well as I waited for 30 minutes whilst my room was readied. The "Lakeside" is not a lake but a swimming pool and quite a distance from the main hotel. The website states - " Spacious rooms sensitively furnished and decorated in modern Khmer style looking out onto the magnificent pool and lake view. Bathroom is attractively designed with separate shower stall and bathtub. It comes complete with cable colour television, individual air conditioning, in-house telephone, Wi-Fi, a kettle with complimentary of coffee and tea-making ingredients, mini-bar and personal safety box. Room size: 45 sqm." What I got was a dirty room with old faded cane furniture, chipped paint with a child's name written on the wall. I requested a new room and was upgraded to a chalet facing the water (backwater). Upon inspection this too was dirty (gecko droppings etc) and had an unused feel about it. I returned to reception and requested a room in the new hotel.

Matters improved quickly. The reception staff were professional and polite as were all the staff. I ended up with an ocean view room on the third floor. Initially I was told that I would have to change rooms for the second night (which I was happy to do under the circumstances) but this did not eventuate.

The beach and the main pool are the main points of attraction. Both are relaxing. The rooms are good but nothing spectacular considering the full price. Breakfast was run-of-the-mill and during busy periods seating is difficult to find. Despite the presence of no smoking signs people lit their cigarettes in Champa Cafe without considering other patrons. Checkout was a nightmare - waiting 35 minutes whilst the staff endeavoured to attend to two or three people at once. A better system needs to be installed or roster more staff on during check-out. This was my first Sokha experience. It will also be my last.

I stayed at Sokha on the strength of Tripadvisor. The other hotels I had viewed all rated badly. Sadly, I wasted $450 at the Sokha.

Room Tip: Stay in the new hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

A hotel with a 3-4 star room and a 5 star beach. The beach is beautiful and everyday during our stay, only 4-5 groups were there, which we loved. However, the room is not properly soundproofed. You can easily hear the people in the hallway. Since there weren't many people on the floor we stayed, it wasn't so bad but in the peak season, I am sure this would be a problem. Sea food buffet that is held every weekend was our favorite.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sokha Beach Resort? Share your experiences!